Pages:
Author

Topic: Offline Transaction vs hardware wallet, which is safest? - page 2. (Read 265 times)

legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Lets say i want to transact a very important huge amount of btc transation of my life. Which one should i chose between Offline transaction via Electrum(gpgverified) or trezor bought from official site.

This is a hypothetical question. i want some expert opinion to confirm my bias that offline transaction on airgaped pc is more secure than a trezor.

In theory they are pretty much equal. In reality I also feel like they're not.

Air-gapped cold storage is safe because it's offline. But you have to be careful on how you transfer the tx to be signed by the cold storage and back to the live computer; also there are theoretical means to also hack into those too.

Hardware wallet should be secured by its Secure Elements chip (but afaik Trezor doesn't have one). If done well HW should be safe. If you updated with no buggy and official firmware/app you should be good.

All in all, HW has quite a number of "if" here and there and it's also plugged in "online" (it doesn't matter how often). This makes it also in my eyes less secure than a cold storage.
But I know how to do a cold storage. One who doesn't know how to make it properly and use it properly has a much higher chance to get his money stolen than with HW.

PS. OP, you should write better your post, as you can see the wording "offline transaction" can easily interpreted in the way you never broadcast the tx online.
Activity: 334
Merit: 275
You can not do a offline transaction at least you cannot send a offline transaction you would need to connect to a node to send the transaction. A hardware wallet would be better if you need to send transactions if you mean receive transactions then a offline wallet will be fine and probably is safer or just as safe as a hardware wallet. Airgapped computers have risks if you do not abide by the advice search up "airgapped computer Bitcoin pitfalls" that will show you some of the common mistakes.
Activity: 25
Merit: 5
Lets say i want to transact a very important huge amount of btc transation of my life. Which one should i chose between Offline signing transaction via Electrum(gpgverified) or trezor bought from official site.

This is a hypothetical question. i want some expert opinion to confirm my bias that offline transaction on airgaped pc is more secure than a trezor.
Pages:
Jump to: