Pages:
Author

Topic: Oh boy, I've got wallet.dat - page 2. (Read 666 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 31
January 17, 2023, 03:25:05 PM
Thanks guys! No luck so far

At some point it becomes far too obsessive and you want to try too many crazy ideas, so I'm just trying to slow down a little and not get too excited to keep my sanity, haha

Hello! Let tell you my insane ideas, just in case  Tongue

1. your birth date
2. the phrase "THE DATE"

I wouldn't try to find a bitcoin specific date, but I would rather start searching for an important date for you or your father.
Activity: 5
Merit: 10
January 17, 2023, 02:44:35 PM
Thanks guys! No luck so far

At some point it becomes far too obsessive and you want to try too many crazy ideas, so I'm just trying to slow down a little and not get too excited to keep my sanity, haha
Activity: 1050
Merit: 681
January 16, 2023, 09:28:26 PM
For now OP still didn't find "the date"  Huh
Bitcoins are still here.
Not that easy, he doesnt know in which format the date has been written as password. It'll technically take a lot of time while he tries to discover the format. Chances decrease if there are certian non-guessable special characters between the date.

I wish you good luck OP ! Will follow this thread,
No use, he is already inactive to provide a followup, just like the rest of the newbies. (making one post and going away).
Activity: 504
Merit: 1065
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 16, 2023, 07:51:05 PM
For now OP still didn't find "the date"  Huh
Bitcoins are still here.

I wish you good luck OP ! Will follow this thread, curious to see how long time you will need to find the password ; it should be easy with btcrecover
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
January 11, 2023, 08:30:28 AM
Hello, I have a question only out of curiosity. Let's say someone could brute force. How would they go about trying the passwords ? I mean, I could for instance generate all possible dates using brute force and store them in a file. But how would I try them all ?
There are plenty of pieces of software out there which will do this. btcrecover as mentioned above is one such piece of software. You can either give it a text file listing all the passwords you want to try, or you can create what is called a tokens file which is essentially a list of instructions on how to generate passwords. In this case you would create a tokens file telling it to try something like every combination of YYYY-MM-DD within a given range, and it would generate the passwords on the fly as it tried them all. You direct the software to a copy of your the wallet file you are trying to decrypt, and it will simply cycle through all the passwords you provide and try them as quickly as your hardware will allow.

The same software can also be used to do things like brute force missing characters from private keys or missing words from seed phrases.
Activity: 56
Merit: 31
January 11, 2023, 08:19:01 AM
Yeah, just use btcrecover and set up an appropriate tokens file. Even with a fairly modest GPU, you should be able to brute force 1,000 passwords a second or more for a Core wallet file.

First see if you have any other old documents from your father in which he wrote the date - letters, spreadsheets, emails, etc. - and see what format he used. If he used that format for the password, then btcrecover could try every date in the last 100 years in about 30 seconds. Failing that, then you would need to try every other possible date format. This includes two or four digit years, digits or written words for the month, including short and full names (Jan/January), as well as every possible ordering, and every possible separator (/ - . etc.) But even then, you should be able to cycle through all that for every date in the last 100 years in a couple of hours.

If there is something else in the password, such as a time, or a location, or a name, then things become exponentially more complicated.

Hello, I have a question only out of curiosity. Let's say someone could brute force. How would they go about trying the passwords ? I mean, I could for instance generate all possible dates using brute force and store them in a file. But how would I try them all ?

That's a general question that I have since I was a CS student (apparently not a great student though haha).
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18503
January 11, 2023, 07:29:52 AM
Yeah, just use btcrecover and set up an appropriate tokens file. Even with a fairly modest GPU, you should be able to brute force 1,000 passwords a second or more for a Core wallet file.

First see if you have any other old documents from your father in which he wrote the date - letters, spreadsheets, emails, etc. - and see what format he used. If he used that format for the password, then btcrecover could try every date in the last 100 years in about 30 seconds. Failing that, then you would need to try every other possible date format. This includes two or four digit years, digits or written words for the month, including short and full names (Jan/January), as well as every possible ordering, and every possible separator (/ - . etc.) But even then, you should be able to cycle through all that for every date in the last 100 years in a couple of hours.

If there is something else in the password, such as a time, or a location, or a name, then things become exponentially more complicated.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1367
January 11, 2023, 03:43:19 AM
If you have minimal IT skills, try to use hashcat with a given masks https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack or btcrecover https://btcrecover.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tokenlist_file/
If it is date only (no time) it should be quite easy task, even if you do not know the order of date segments or separators used (if there are any).
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1599
Verified Bitcoin Hodler
January 10, 2023, 08:14:02 PM
The coins are still there. I guess I can try some dates

I would start with
2009-01-09 (Bitcoin's first transaction date)
2016-05-05 (the date that wallet got funded at)

Make sure you do tests offline, or if you are knowledgeable enough, on a live OS, still offline. Hacks are really a thing and 10BTC is an overly good looking amount.
Make sure you know how your father was writing the dates (mm/dd/yyyy. dd.mm.yyyy, yyyy-mm-dd or other ways)
Beware of people that may offer you help in private, some may be scammers.
Good luck.

He could just brute-force the password with a simple few lines of script. I mean there are only so many days since Bitcoin has come into existence. If you try out them all eventually you will get it. I do not think that will even take him all night. Unless he does not know how to automate the process in which case he can still spend a couple of days trying out every date.

I mean its been 5548 days so thats what, a bit over 15 and a half hours? 2 days full-time and done. Boom, $174k. Or like 2 minutes if you automate the task...

Hopefully its not his fathers cryptic way of remembering an arbitrary date which has nothing to do with Bitcoin. Although, even if that would take you longer, it would still be perfectly do-able.

legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
January 10, 2023, 03:21:26 PM

I would start with
2009-01-09 (Bitcoin's first transaction date)
2016-05-05 (the date that wallet got funded at)

Make sure you do tests offline, or if you are knowledgeable enough, on a live OS, still offline. Hacks are really a thing and 10BTC is an overly good looking amount.
Make sure you know how your father was writing the dates (mm/dd/yyyy. dd.mm.yyyy, yyyy-mm-dd or other ways)
Beware of people that may offer you help in private, some may be scammers.
Good luck.
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
January 10, 2023, 02:39:19 PM
I'm guessing you don't have bitcoin core installed? If not, install and run it, you can then go to the following path:

Code:
C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Bitcoin

Rplace the wallet.dat with the one you have and then restart your wallet.
Activity: 5
Merit: 10
January 10, 2023, 02:30:38 PM
So this was my father's bitcointalk account. There's also wallet.dat and a text file:

bitcoin.org
bitcointalk.org
The password is THE DATE
13zEUPdpCDT3JGqv4o61vXQpgWWdxMEZeX

I've never used the old Bitcoin client. What do I do?
Pages:
Jump to: