Pages:
Author

Topic: OKPAY accepting bitcoin as a deposit method - page 3. (Read 12058 times)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0
November 17, 2011, 09:11:30 AM
It is probably one of the many Russian money laundering outfits. Incidentally Slashdot had an article recently about that industry:

my guess is okpay is a front for the russian mob  these guys look like mybitcoin 2.0 :/

HELLYEAH!
Hello from Russian mob, we hunt for bears with our bare hands and laney maundering all day looong!  Grin
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
November 17, 2011, 09:06:14 AM
Helllo folks,
I'm OKPAY Company representative, will be glad to answer your questions.
As you have noticed we have added BTC as one of the deposit options, it means that you can fund your account and spend your money pretty much everywhere (wire transfer, exchangers, online stores, debit card withdrawals, etc.)

We are not offering BTC withdrawal option but we are going to add it as well.

As per verification: you do not need to be verified to be able to fund your account with BTC. Unverified accounts have 300 EUR monthly limits. To get your account verify you need to provide a prood od ID and address.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
November 15, 2011, 01:08:31 PM
People often attack what they don't understand.  If Steam ever did accept BTC the same people attacking it would be telling their friends how awesome and revolutionary it is.  A large portion of population is always going to follow. 

BTC = Stupid. 
Steam adopts BTC = Awesome.
Even though Steam doesn't accept bitcoin directly, this might already be happening.  A great way to obtain games for a discount is by buying keys online (where people have found the games discounted in retail outlets and offer them up for sale online).  Bitcoin is a great way to mitigate the risk of handing out a game key online.  The keys are effectively bearer instruments and irreversible once distributed.  So, selling them for paypal or CC is risky for the merchant.  Here are a couple places you can buy them for bitcoin:

gamerkeys.net
bitcoin2cdkey.com
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 15, 2011, 12:49:36 PM
People often attack what they don't understand.  If Steam ever did accept BTC the same people attacking it would be telling their friends how awesome and revolutionary it is.  A large portion of population is always going to follow.  

BTC = Stupid.  
On a related note Steam = Stupid

MEH I never thought I would, but I like Steam.  No need to keep copies of games, no worries about scratched CD, lost CD keys, etc.  Often I find good discounted games that I wouldn't otherwise even realize (or buy if gamestop wanted full price for them).  I think it is a win-win.  

I can't remember the last non-Steam (or Steam alternatives) game I bought.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
November 15, 2011, 11:39:19 AM
People often attack what they don't understand.  If Steam ever did accept BTC the same people attacking it would be telling their friends how awesome and revolutionary it is.  A large portion of population is always going to follow. 

BTC = Stupid. 
On a related note Steam = Stupid
donator
Gerald Davis
November 15, 2011, 10:27:51 AM

BTC = Stupid. 
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
November 15, 2011, 09:56:19 AM
Interesting to see all the negative reactions in those threads, by people who are already dealing in purely digital goods. 
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
November 14, 2011, 06:59:06 PM
Ouch I was expecting fees but those are just downright stupid.

Up to $15 to get my cash from an ATM?  No thanks.  I will keep using free checks from TradeHill.

Sadly if someone did offer a decently priced bitcoin backed debit card they would get all the BTC -> USD flows.  Someday it will happen but it isn't OKPay.

Maybe someday Dwolla will offer a Dwolla debit card?  That would be at least a half step.

ehh, that would be the upper limit of their card withdraw fee, 2% of 750 $. If you exceed 750$ the fee would remain at same level.

You can get more than $750 from an ATM somehow? Or is that like the monthly max of ATM fees?

Really I'm not going to be happy until there is a guy standing in the mall with pockets full of cash and a smart phone wearing a bitcoin shirt charging $2 for exchanges up to $1000.

Why, so he can get mugged?  Bad idea.

No one would do that. Everyone loves mall bitcoin guy.

Just like nobody robs the Salvation Army Santas that collect change outside of stores.  Oh wait, they do get robbed.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008
November 14, 2011, 06:50:57 PM
OKPAY charges its users $35 to transfer funds to your bank account.  Angry
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
November 14, 2011, 06:48:27 PM
Feature request on Steam Smiley
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2231533

If you use the Steam service and you like the Bitcoin project, you should +1 this request! Grin

Why?  Just request that Steam take Bitcoin as a payment method.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
November 14, 2011, 06:00:40 AM

Up to $15 to get my cash from an ATM?  No thanks.  I will keep using free checks from TradeHill.

Sadly if someone did offer a decently priced bitcoin backed debit card they would get all the BTC -> USD flows.  Someday it will happen but it isn't OKPay.

Maybe someday Dwolla will offer a Dwolla debit card?  That would be at least a half step.

ehh, that would be the upper limit of their card withdraw fee, 2% of 750 $. If you exceed 750$ the fee would remain at same level.

You can get more than $750 from an ATM somehow? Or is that like the monthly max of ATM fees?

Really I'm not going to be happy until there is a guy standing in the mall with pockets full of cash and a smart phone wearing a bitcoin shirt charging $2 for exchanges up to $1000.

No one would do that. Everyone loves mall bitcoin guy.
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
November 14, 2011, 05:53:11 AM
Feature request on Steam Smiley
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2231533

If you use the Steam service and you like the Bitcoin project, you should +1 this request! Grin
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
November 13, 2011, 04:30:00 AM

2. The fees are small compared to the hassle it'll take you to setup a USA bank account or the risks of using a fake PayPal account.

So for someone like me, this encourages me to start mining because I can withdraw money somehow to a service I already use.

+1.  This is the reason we have this forum.  Most people in North America or Western Europe won't have a need for OKPAY, but there's a whole world out there that needs a solution.

And anyone in Tunisia, or all of Africa for that matter, can now have a business and accept payments over the Internet using Bitcoins.  We live in exciting times!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
November 11, 2011, 06:28:03 PM

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008
November 11, 2011, 05:59:04 PM
how many customers does okpay have?
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
November 11, 2011, 05:55:39 PM
A couple points:

1. OKPay is like Payoneer. It's for people who don't have access to a USA bank account, an International Debit Card and PayPal.
I'm from Tunisia. I can't have an International Debit Card. PayPal doesn't accept payments for Tunisia for some reasons I still don't know. And you can't have a bank account other than your "nonconvertible" country currency.

They are a great solution. Period.

2. The fees are small compared to the hassle it'll take you to setup a USA bank account or the risks of using a fake PayPal account.

So for someone like me, this encourages me to start mining because I can withdraw money somehow to a service I already use.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
November 11, 2011, 04:32:07 PM

How do you know they allow withdrawals of greater than $750?  Pretty big assumption to make.

The "solution" for withdrawing $15K might be make 20 withdraws for $300 in fees.

i don't know things or make assumptions, it's only the way i understand that statement... if they put that high limit assuming no one will be able to withdraw more than 750$ it's not very nice from their part.

Instead you could use some friends help and cash-in on a POS, pay with the card and they give you cash. I do that sometimes. Lower fees and higher limits too

edit: I don't like a small thing though, they locked in the exchange rate of bitcoin > usd much lower than market price and they state "no fees" Sad
donator
Gerald Davis
November 11, 2011, 04:24:25 PM

How do you know they allow withdrawals of greater than $750?  Pretty big assumption to make.

The "solution" for withdrawing $15K might be make 20 withdraws for $300 in fees.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
November 11, 2011, 04:17:23 PM

Pages:
Jump to: