Pages:
Author

Topic: Old pre 2012 wallet files on bitcoin core question - page 2. (Read 345 times)

Activity: 37
Merit: 6
If you don't want to download the entire blockchain you should be able to export the private keys of the addresses where you are keeping your coins without having to wait for the wallet to sync.
You do that from the console window by using the dumpprivkey command.

Take a look at this guide for reference:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transferring_coins_from_Bitcoin-Qt_to_Electrum

I don't know the address or anything, I just have the .dat file itself from a backup (all the other info was lost) and the passphrase.
I'm willing to download the full blockchain again, that's not the issue, but I was wondering why there's no good info out there to really restore an old wallet file.

So if I have 2011.dat for example, and rename it to wallet.dat and place it in the bitcoin folder where the new wallet is then restart bt core then it should work?
I heard older wallet files were incompatible since 2012 or something.

PS: before anyone asks, no, there's not a fortune on there probably, I just want to make sure the balances were emptied, as I can't remember what I did with it back during these days. I didn't take bitcoin too seriously in the beginning (my bad).
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
If you don't want to download the entire blockchain you should be able to export the private keys of the addresses where you are keeping your coins without having to wait for the wallet to sync.
You do that from the console window by using the dumpprivkey command.

Take a look at this guide for reference:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transferring_coins_from_Bitcoin-Qt_to_Electrum

Activity: 37
Merit: 6
Hi there,

I've got my old computer back from storage (2011-12) and have some older wallet.dat files on there (I've experimented with a lot of coins, but mined bitcoin as well back then).

I need some good and up to date advice or guides on how to access these wallets.
I've tried downloading bitcoin core 19.1 but the wallet files seem to "go past date" or something. I needed to de-activate pruning. (I did so, but then it downloads the while tsunami of data again at 1990s speeds:( )

If I download the whole blockchain again on bitcoin core, then shut it down and replace the wallet.dat it generated with my wallet from 2011, will it work?
Or are these older pre 2012 wallets incompatible?
If so... is there a way to get into these wallets (I have the passwords and so on)

Pages:
Jump to: