Pages:
Author

Topic: On Bitcoin, gold, and fiat. - page 2. (Read 2755 times)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250
July 20, 2013, 04:24:56 AM
That silver is still around.  It just isn't in bullion bars.

A lot of silver is subject to inelastic demand.

For example, let's say that each iPhone ($700) contains 20 cents worth of silver.

Next, let's say that the price of silver goes up by 10 times. (After which, each iPhone contains 2 dollars worth of silver.)

Will Apple stop purchasing silver? No. They will keep purchasing the same amount of silver even if the price goes up 10 times. After all, what is $2 to them, when the iPhone sells for $700?

Much of the industry that consumes silver is subject to this sort of inelastic demand.

And once the silver is consumed into devices like this, it's not economical to ever recycle it.

It might as well just be gone forever.

Another example is certain medical cloth, which contain tiny amounts of silver due to its antibacterial properties.

Mirrors, etc.

90% of the silver that has ever been mined, that has been sitting in vaults for the past 5000 years, has been consumed in the last 100 years.

There is more gold bullion above ground right now, than silver bullion.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
July 18, 2013, 07:15:14 PM
No commodity-based or currency-based hedging strategy will feasibly work for the average consumer. No consumer will have enough money to protect their investment portfolio (the physical act of purchasing enough silver, gold, or other commodity will hurt their total wealth - the amounts they can afford are too little to make for any realistic gains)

For I-Banks & Hedge-Funds, profitable strategies only exist in either High-Value Information Plays, Energy Production, Technology, and Mining [But Risk is inherent to even these].

For the forseeable future, the only 'Riskless' strategies are in Small-Nanometer Hardware (including bioengineering production) and HFT.

-Johnny
www.americandatafarms.com
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
July 18, 2013, 04:25:19 PM
I have nothing against gold or Bitcoin but you may also want to consider silver.  Silver is consumed, whereas gold is hoarded.  In 2005, global per-capita above-ground gold bullion was 0.8 ounces, -17% vs. 1940 levels of 1.0 ounce for ever man, woman, and child.  Silver, though, was 0.2 ounces in 2005, -96% vs. 1940 levels of 4.4 ounces.

That silver is still around.  It just isn't in bullion bars.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
July 18, 2013, 03:25:37 PM
I have nothing against gold or Bitcoin but you may also want to consider silver.  Silver is consumed, whereas gold is hoarded.  In 2005, global per-capita above-ground gold bullion was 0.8 ounces, -17% vs. 1940 levels of 1.0 ounce for ever man, woman, and child.  Silver, though, was 0.2 ounces in 2005, -96% vs. 1940 levels of 4.4 ounces.
Activity: 525
Merit: 500
July 18, 2013, 09:04:07 AM
Bitcoin will provide an alternative to gold as an insurance policy against the inevitable decline of fiat.

Gold has been getting hammered this year but there is far too much global debt that can never be repaid in present-value fiat, only by:
1. Inflation.
2. In part, through defaults/restructuring ala Cyprus.
3. Fiat devaluation.

There is 10's if not 100's of trillions (in usd) of central bank, public and private debt that cannot possibly be repaid by the global economy, there simply isn't enough income being generated to service the debt. There is also 100's of trillions of future pension and other entitlement obligations of the various governments.

I'm not a gold bug but I think it's sure to rise in the longer term; however for me, I'm more comfortable with bitcoin as it also has other properties in addition to being a store of value.

Long BTC. Just sayin.

Pages:
Jump to: