Pages:
Author

Topic: On Chain Scaling - page 2. (Read 424 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 2066
December 15, 2017, 08:34:31 PM
Option 1) and 3) are different solutions that both lead to the same problem -- a faster growing blockchain resulting in harder to run nodes. Which means that eg. halving block times would increase node load just as much as doubling the block size.

Option 2) SegWit already is a block size increase, albeit in itself not a very efficient one -- blocks containing purely SegWit transactions are expected to effectively reach as much as 4MB while handling the equivalent of 2MB worth of legacy transactions. Its main intend is to pave the way for decentralized off-chain scaling.

As far as pure on-chain scaling is concerned, I'm afraid that's all there is to it.

You could increase blocksize and solely rely on pruned nodes, but that would weaken Bitcoin security and only solve part of the node resource problem. You could look into sidechains, but then you are by definition off-chain again. You could also move away from blockchains and look into alternatives such as directed acyclic graphs, but those protocols come with issues of their own.
Activity: 116
Merit: 101
December 15, 2017, 06:43:45 PM
blockstream is controlled by bankers - it will never happen. Bitcoin Cash is our best hope. check out reddit.com/r/BTC for more info.

Bitcoin cash is mainly just an implementation of option 1).  And I'd like to leave all the political issues aside, looking to keep this a strictly technical conversation.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
December 15, 2017, 06:34:34 PM
blockstream is controlled by bankers - it will never happen. Bitcoin Cash is our best hope. check out reddit.com/r/BTC for more info.
December 15, 2017, 06:16:00 PM

This is essentially a mix of 1) and 3), you are increasing effective block size and doubling the rate of production. It sounds rather kludgey.

I'm looking for technical answers regarding the future of on chain scaling.  What options do we have? 
mda
Activity: 144
Merit: 13
December 15, 2017, 05:49:20 PM
    For bitcoin to be peer to peer cash, as we all know, it will need to scale with regards to transaction capacity per second.  Obviously this can be addressed through off chain solutions, but I am curious about on chain scaling.  

As I understand it, there are only a few things that could be done to increase on chain capacity without drastically altering the protocol.  

1) You can increase block size.  The major argument against this seems to be the burden placed on running a node, which would increase centralization by making it harder/more expensive to run a full node.

2) Segwit, which makes more efficient use of a given blocksize, and is already implemented.  (I am not well versed in the technical arguments against segwit)

3) Alter the protocol to increase the rate of block production, and decrease the block reward, such that money supply is the same, but you end up with more transactions per second for a given block size.  This would appear to have all the drawbacks of 1), and also an increase in the orphan rate. [/li]

Are there other ON chain solutions being considered?
Pages:
Jump to: