Pages:
Author

Topic: [ON HOLD - 300 BTC] Make a bitcointalk forum plugin to allow tipping via BTC - page 4. (Read 8317 times)

administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
How can I turn down 100 BTC? Smiley

I'm thinking of an end result something like this:

The first number after "Tip me" is the amount of BTC received for that post (perhaps in bitcents), and the second number is the total amount of BTC that user has received.

I thought about it more and I've decided that I definitely don't want the forum to be an E-Wallet in any way, and a tipping service definitely needs to be an E-Wallet at some level because Bitcoin isn't good for microtransactions. So the tipping stuff needs to be done by a third-party service.

The "tip me" link in the screenshot above will be like:
https://tippingService.com/tip/userID/postID
At that page, users of tippingService.com can send a tip for the specified post. tippingService.com might then alert the recipient via forum PM or email.

The forum will periodically download tip totals for postIDs.

The service should probably charge a fee for every transaction so that people can't endlessly inflate their tip numbers.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Theymos - I'll add 100btc to bounty, payable to you, if you help make this happen.

I'm not a programmer, so how else can I help move this along? Theymos - are you in?
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Someone would probably want it to be python (best web scrapping libraries) since there is no api, and you have to do a lot of scrapping, but I think if someone was to make a tipping bot they would have to clear it with theymos first. Since this bot would use a lot of bandwidth and could be confused for a DDOS attack.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be too bad, use a little logo/emote as part of the tip command and it could zero in on just the pages it needs to check.  Would have to think through the details but with a well-crafted javascript bookmarklet you may even be able to sign an image url and have the tipping bot work almost completely passively from the image hits.  (And if you figure out how the recipient gets specified/detected it could potentially work on any page anywhere)

Kinda building off your idea, I mean this would be a lot of work for the user, but you could in theory make a chrome extension that uses JSON RPC and everyone that installs the extension would be forced to supply a bitcoin address that would be saved to a website/database. Then when your on a thread page, it would gather all the usernames and check to see if they are in the database, and if they are display a button that you can click to quickly donate, it would be a lot of work but could be a solution.
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
Someone would probably want it to be python (best web scrapping libraries) since there is no api, and you have to do a lot of scrapping, but I think if someone was to make a tipping bot they would have to clear it with theymos first. Since this bot would use a lot of bandwidth and could be confused for a DDOS attack.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be too bad, use a little logo/emote as part of the tip command and it could zero in on just the pages it needs to check.  Would have to think through the details but with a well-crafted javascript bookmarklet you may even be able to sign an image url and have the tipping bot work almost completely passively from the image hits.  (And if you figure out how the recipient gets specified/detected it could potentially work on any page anywhere)
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
I've thought about this before as a forum feature. It would be kind of cool, but I haven't done it for these reasons:
- I predict that people won't use the feature very much. Donation addresses in signatures rarely receive much BTC. (Reddit's bitcointip will eventually lose popularity, I think.)
- If the donation amount is displayed, something needs to prevent people from inflating the number by donating to themselves.
- Running a Bitcoin client requires quite a bit of work to make sure the client is updated, it doesn't die, most of the BTC is held in cold storage, etc.
- I don't want anyone to use the forum as an E-Wallet. That's not the forum's purpose, and there might be legal risks associated with doing this.

Bots can't be posting in threads because such posts would be off-topic. Any posts by humans consisting entirely of bot commands would also be off-topic. Bots can use PMs as long as PM recipients have some way of unsubscribing from all of the bot's PMs.

I've been thinking about creating a forum API to make it easier to create bots, collect stats, etc. I need to think carefully about how best to do this, since I want the interface to stay the same when the forum moves away from SMF.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
legendary
I'd like Theymos to be part of the discussion. Will PM him now and have him comment.
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
If this was made as an SMF plugin, it would need to be applied by Theymos, but, more importantly, BTCTalk would have to host the wallet file. It would also have a much nicer interface than if it was made into a bot.

If this was made a bot, what would happen is the bot would have its own account on the forums which it logs into, and users could send commands via pm (for balance checking, depositing, withdrawing) and also tip people by posting +bitcointip in a thread, like how the reddit bot works. The bot & wallet could be hosted elsewhere & could work without specifically needing permission from Theymos (unless he bans the account of course). This is how reddit tip works.

Would you be prepared to host the bot?

I could make this easily enough either way, and could host the bot myself if need be, but just want to make sure we do this the right way.
legendary
Does it need to be a plugin?

Could a bot be used instead? (which is what is being used on reddit ATM IIRC). This would have the added advantage of not needing to be approved.

Ummm I think that's fine... honestly I'm not smart enough to know how it works technically. If I can tip you the prize via this forum though, then it's valid.

In fact I think if the bot doesn't need to be plugged in/approved by the forum owner, it'd be even more awesome Wink
Activity: 882
Merit: 1005
Does it need to be a plugin?

Could a bot be used instead? (which is what is being used on reddit ATM IIRC). This would have the added advantage of not needing to be approved.
legendary
We've seen the awesomeness of the Reddit tipping bot. http://www.reddit.com/r/bitcointip/comments/13iykn/bitcointipdocumentation/

This concept needs to be made for forums as well. Let's start with BitcoinTalk.org.

I'm hereby offering a bounty of 300 btc to the person who:

A) makes such a system for BitcoinTalk
B) Gets it approved/integrated into this forum

This forum is built on the simplemachines platform... I assume a plugin for this site could then be applied to others?

The way you will win this bounty is by me tipping you in this forum for 300 btc when completed Smiley

Thoughts? Comments? Entrepreneurs?
Pages:
Jump to: