Pages:
Author

Topic: On merchants not willing to accept crypto - page 9. (Read 1186 times)

Activity: 484
Merit: 100
January 27, 2019, 12:56:05 PM
Try not to accept it as a strange way of dealing with merchants. But some reasons come from governments that forbid it to cause traders to worry about breaking the law. You see they always want to seek profits, but they fear the government controls them and their jobs will threaten.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18588
January 27, 2019, 12:50:45 PM
You are absolutely right.

If you are willing to spend money in exchange for a good or service, be it fiat or bitcoin, there is someone out there who will accept it. Now, while millionaires can buy anything they like in bitcoin by throwing enough money at it, the average person here isn't going to be able to convince some big supermarket or chain to start accepting bitcoin, but they could certainly have success in smaller independent retailers or tradespeople. After me asking every week for a month or so, one of the sellers at my local farmers' market started to accept bitcoin, and now he isn't the only one accepting it and I'm not the only one spending it.

Stop waiting for retailers to accept crypto and start asking them to accept crypto. Holding won't get us anywhere if no one is spending.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
January 27, 2019, 12:37:42 PM
The prevailing opinion on the forum seems to be that Bitcoin's adoption is limited by merchants' reluctance to accept it as a means of payment. In my eyes this view represents a typical cause-and-effect dilemma, which is colloquially known as putting the cart before the horse (i.e. confusing cause and effect). In this topic I will try to explain why such an opinion is in fact incorrect

To prove that it is not merchants' fault or reluctance to accept Bitcoin but rather unwillingness of the consumers to pay with it, we should think about the use cases where Bitcoin holders may in fact be willing to spend their coins. And if I'm right (which I am), then we should see merchants actually accepting crypto in these areas. This approach can easily prove whether people are really putting the cart before the horse here

Big-time holders don't seem to be very interested in speculating with Bitcoin because they already have enough to live like pigs in clover for the rest of their life. But when you have so much wealth, you would evidently want to spend some of it on things which you dreamed of your whole life, like sports cars, penthouses, jewelries for your girlfriend, traveling around the world and living in 5-star hotels like a king

And this is where we see Bitcoin being willingly accepted by providers of these services and suppliers of such goods. You can easily buy elite real estate, pay for the most exclusive sports cars, seduce your passion with most exquisite jewelries, and you can do all these things with bitcoins - provided you have enough of them, of course. In simple terms, when money talks bullshit walks. And Bitcoin is that money

So it is not about merchants at all
Pages:
Jump to: