Pages:
Author

Topic: On the topic of climate change... - page 3. (Read 2557 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
December 19, 2013, 06:06:35 PM
Regardless of who you think benefits, deforestation is still a bad idea. 

Definitely it is. Unfortunately we are not able to prevent it or even to slow the rate down in many parts of equatorial Africa, Asia and South America.

The replacement of primary forest with timber plantations is also another bad idea, as it kills the biodiversity.

Here is another bad idea regarding deforestation
http://grist.org/article/2010-04-13-raising-cane-the-trouble-with-brazils-much-celebrated-ethanol-mi/

From the same website celebrating banning climate change deniers on reddit... It must be true then. Wink
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
December 19, 2013, 05:49:20 PM
Future generations have the right to a clean planet.

Such a right does not exist.

I'm not having any children - my bloodline ends with me.  Why should I deny myself use of the planet so that someone else's children can use it instead?  I have just as much right to use it as they do.  It's unfortunate that use of the planet pollutes said planet, but everyone does it.

I'm with you on that boat.

I've grown up and live near an industrial zone, the river that passes in my small town was considered, a few years ago, the most polluted in Europe, when I was a young teenage boy that river had a different color every day. In the past 10 years a lot was made to clean the water, I still wouldn't swim in that water.

I heard the stories from older people about they fishing and swimming in the clear waters of the river, I only see dark water now.

I know rights are what they are but now we know better.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
December 19, 2013, 11:54:45 AM

It is not for you to decide.

I'm not having any children - my bloodline ends with me.  Why should I deny myself use of the planet so that someone else's children can use it instead?  I have just as much right to use it as they do.  It's unfortunate that use of the planet pollutes said planet, but everyone does it.

Because the planet is not your sole property. Some 7 billion plus people, and trillions of other living organisms have the right to live on it. You are most welcome to destroy something that you have the sole ownership of. But as far as clean air and drinking water is concerned, you have no authority or permission to destroy them.  Grin
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
December 19, 2013, 11:22:53 AM

legendary
December 19, 2013, 10:53:47 AM

Definitely it is. Unfortunately we are not able to prevent it or even to slow the rate down in many parts of equatorial Africa, Asia and South America.

The replacement of primary forest with timber plantations is also another bad idea, as it kills the biodiversity.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
December 19, 2013, 10:29:30 AM
The CO2 levels in the atmosphere has increased by around 30% during the last 150 years or so. And the lion's share of that increase occurred within the last 50 years. Scientific study has proven that the burning of fossil fuels, both by thermal power plants and by automobiles has caused much of that increase.

The only options to save our planet are:

1. Replace thermal energy with nuclear energy

2. Replace gasoline / diesel oil with bio-fuels

3. Prevent the loss of forest, especially in the Amazon Basin, Indonesia and Central Africa

I'll go with the first one, the new generation of reactors is very safe and efficient, ally that with electric cars and everyone will breath cleaner air.

I think it's funny that some people are so unconcerned about human rights that they really have nothing more to be active about than the weather.

legendary
Activity: 1218
December 19, 2013, 07:52:53 AM
Pollution and deforestation are an inevitable side-effect of the economic growth that is lifting the poorest people out of degradation.  Both cause the climate to change and we should be looking at ways to reduce them.  Deforestation is particularly damaging.

No. Only the big corporates and the oligarchs are gaining from destroying the environment. If you don't believe me, go to Brazil. The very people who cut down and burn 2 million hectares of rain forest every year doesn't earn more than $10 a day. On the other hand, the Soya giants who illegally possess the ex-forest land soon after are making thousands of usd per acre.

legendary
December 19, 2013, 07:49:46 AM
Pollution and deforestation are an inevitable side-effect of the economic growth that is lifting the poorest people out of degradation.  Both cause the climate to change and we should be looking at ways to reduce them.  Deforestation is particularly damaging.

No. Only the big corporates and the oligarchs are gaining from destroying the environment. If you don't believe me, go to Brazil. The very people who cut down and burn 2 million hectares of rain forest every year doesn't earn more than $10 a day. On the other hand, the Soya giants who illegally possess the ex-forest land soon after are making thousands of usd per acre.
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
December 19, 2013, 07:02:34 AM
Climate change has been going on for millions of years as evidenced for example in ice core data, Ice Ages, etc..

Your poll is worded such that when we vote for the middle choice it is as if it is implied that climate change means global warming.

No! The climate is oscillating. I voted the middle choice with this interpretation of "climate change is real".

Pollution and deforestation are an inevitable side-effect of the economic growth that is lifting the poorest people out of degradation.  Both cause the climate to change and we should be looking at ways to reduce them.  Deforestation is particularly damaging.

This was one of the causes of the fall of Rome after 400 A.D.

The earth and the human species survived and much more development followed.

The problem was caused by excessive debt and the misallocation of resources caused when everyone can do the same thing because everyone can borrow.

Currently we have $150 trillion in global debt, $quadrillion in derivatives, and another $quadrillion in unfunded social commitments.
legendary
Activity: 1218
December 19, 2013, 06:37:28 AM
legendary
December 19, 2013, 05:59:36 AM
I think it's funny that some people are so unconcerned about human rights that they really have nothing more to be active about than the weather.

Human rights must be respected. But that doesn't mean that we should destroy the earth and its wildlife. And preserving the earth for the future generations will ensure that the human rights are indeed respected.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
December 19, 2013, 04:33:12 AM
legendary
December 19, 2013, 04:06:28 AM
The CO2 levels in the atmosphere has increased by around 30% during the last 150 years or so. And the lion's share of that increase occurred within the last 50 years. Scientific study has proven that the burning of fossil fuels, both by thermal power plants and by automobiles has caused much of that increase.

The only options to save our planet are:

1. Replace thermal energy with nuclear energy

2. Replace gasoline / diesel oil with bio-fuels

3. Prevent the loss of forest, especially in the Amazon Basin, Indonesia and Central Africa
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071
December 18, 2013, 11:29:12 PM
After Reddit's Science sub banned non peer-reviewed sources regarding climate change denial and reading the comments on another thread here (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/reddits-science-forum-banned-climate-deniers-374873), I was wondering what your views are in relation to the effects humans have on the climate. I've included 3 options so far, but let me know if I'm missing other views on the subject.

EDIT: included 3 extra options in the poll. I'm not sure those that voted can change their choice though, and it's probably not a good idea to reset the counter.
Pages:
Jump to: