Pages:
Author

Topic: On Tulips and Bitcoin... - page 2. (Read 2004 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 257
bluemeanie
January 05, 2014, 04:24:45 PM

Bitcoin and Tulips(at least during the Dutch Tulip Bubble) were similar:

1) universally valued

2) widely accepted

3) easy to move

4) limited supply(or at least the semblance of such)

5) a class of people boosting the value of the item because they were invested in it's production(tulip farmers/miners).

-bm
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
January 05, 2014, 03:49:00 PM
i see a lot of posts about tulips.. it may need its own subforum.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
January 05, 2014, 03:46:03 PM
bitcoin VS tulips is like comparing

coal VS solar.

one is limited the other has no limit
Activity: 874
Merit: 1000
January 05, 2014, 03:27:35 PM
   I get baffled when I see comparisons between bitcoin and tulips.  http://bloom.bg/1aRsHRO.  This one in particular is shockingly irresponsible journalism.  They merely show that since the price went up with tulips, and the price went up with bitcoin, bitcoin must be a scam/bubble.  How is it that our world became full of sensationalist journalists with no capacity whatever to perform fair analysis?  What are they teaching in journalism school these days?

On Tulips and Bitcoin
   If a tulip were to have remarkable functionality, it might then be fair to compare them to bitcoin.  I assert that bitcoin has remarkable functionality - coming soon.  Imagine a tulip which could rise from the ground on its own accord and destroy an approaching M1 tank.  That would be a tulip with some really interesting function.  But tulips don't do this in reality.  Tulips simply spring up from the ground in March and make a pretty flower.  During their spectacular price rise, it was never sold on the people that the tulips would soon be destroying tanks - or anything other than simple blooming.
   The reason people buy bitcoin - is because of the functionality to come soon.  Most bitcoin adherents don't care about the instantaneous price - which admittedly does include a considerable amount of speculation.  Nevertheless, the real value of a bitcoin investment lies in the wonderful function which is being developed.  
   I wish bitcoin were priced at only $30 today.  Journalists would then stop writing about the dumbest aspect of bitcoin - the wild price variations - and being to write about how bitcoin will shake up the world of financial transactions on so many levels.

That is not the world we live in.  Journalists aren't interested in such matters - and those matters are just too hard for journalists and their readers to understand.  So, they write about wild price speculation instead.  Boring.  The uninformed reporting to the uneducated.  As soon as one clever journalist with a bit of intelligence decides to study bitcoin more closely for its coming functionalies rather than look at silly price chart comparisons, we will have a decent story to read.  But until then, I expect endless comparisons to tulips.  What a shame journalism is at an all-time low.  The good news is, it has little or no effect on those who are building the bitcoin infrastructure.  Carry on guys.  
Pages:
Jump to: