Pages:
Author

Topic: On value dilution - page 3. (Read 528 times)

legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
February 22, 2019, 01:07:47 PM
Well tbh, I don't see anything wrong with altcoins gaining value side-by-side with bitcoin if they have something to offer, but the apparent pump-and-dump nature of altcoins is what gets me, really, considering that most are just made to fatten the pockets of their developers and team. Now, you won't really be sure about everyone liking bitcoin as they still have their preference over what coins would they put their money on, so the notion that altcoins are sharing bitcoin's supposed value is wrong. Not that I'm pro-altcoins but it's just hard to be one-sided on things that has open-ended and vague point-of-views and outcomes.

If Bob likes something but bitcoin couldn't offer it, he wouldn't buy it. However if Bob saw what he was looking for on another coin, he'd most definitely buy it and stick with it. The way I see it, it's like just your regular restaurant: majority would recommend A simply because a lot of people recommends it too, but your picky taste buds love to mingle with exotic foods and so you go to restaurant X.
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1279
Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph
February 22, 2019, 12:01:39 PM
Being the First Cryptocurrency, Bitcoin would always be the "traded-currency." I think because it's the first, it would stay first. A lot of people already know it, and a lot of investments have gone through it. Lots of scandals, death proclamation and different things have happened, but it is still number one. It gives value to other coins and not the other way around. The amount is always going to be like that but in the end (21M coins) will stop, we will see what happens.

I'm just curious that once that it reached that, would there be still solving cryptographic puzzles to verify blocks? I think I have read it, but I forgot.
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
February 22, 2019, 11:55:35 AM
Everyone and his dog know that the supply of bitcoins is limited to 21M coins, so on purely technical terms (if we discard the fact that not all coins have been mined so far) Bitcoin supply is firmly capped. This is often used to support the claim that Bitcoin is deflationary with the meaning being that its price is set to rise due to this fact

With that said, though, it is also claimed that altcoins are effectively making Bitcoin supply unlimited, i.e. without them Bitcoin price would be higher. In this manner, they are taking value from Bitcoin as if its supply were in fact constantly expanding. Indeed, not all altcoins are born equal and it is not likely either that a multitude of shitcoins out there can make a serious dent in Bitcoin's value, if at all (as most of them are abandoned by now anyway). But there are other, more precious pebbles on that beach

Major altcoins such as Litecoin, Ethereum, BCash, maybe, a couple others are not something to be sneezed at and then discarded as completely inconsequential. It could be said that they are making crypto better known to the wider public and thus contributing to Bitcoin's value as well, so things are more complicated than they first appear to be. So what is your stance on this matter? Would Bitcoin fare better without altcoins sticking around? Are they taking value from Bitcoin at the end of the day?

Feel free to comment below as well as vote above and make your voice heard while your opinion known
Pages:
Jump to: