Pages:
Author

Topic: One Million Trees - page 3. (Read 566 times)

Activity: 994
Merit: 302
January 11, 2020, 05:52:52 AM
Well NY is pretty woke so it's unsurprising if all this is one big virtue signal visible from space so aliens on Mars can see how good and environmentally-friendly they are.

Putting my neck on the line here, I would say less than 2% of those planted will actually grow into maturity, 70% would die a day or two after due to doing everything wrong right from the start and not caring about it the minute it is done, the rest would be cut for various reasons months later, or be eaten by the cows and goats and other herbivorous animals, and so on.

To be frank the country need any tree planted - it have less than 10% of its original forest up. Unless those trees were planted in an urban areas I believe they'd survive well enough. The problem is the loggers. I remember seeing on the TV that some private reforest projects are choosing to plant trees that could not be used for lumber to discourage loggers.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 529
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
January 11, 2020, 04:55:39 AM
Well for a project that big, i think they've made studies about where and how to do this huge venture. And i think it's not happening on a single event. It's gradual, planned tree planting. At least there's an initiative, let's give that. As to how it's going to be implemented, let's give them a chance. I'm all for restoring the greenery everywhere.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 301
*STOP NOWHERE*
January 11, 2020, 03:18:45 AM
Not only plant trees but also take care of them. Problem is we plant trees and then abondan them. Almost half of trees plantation went useless because of no care after plantation. If we want to give a good future to our kids we have to plant trees.
Activity: 1498
Merit: 146
January 11, 2020, 03:02:55 AM
Here in NYC there's an initiative of planting one million trees. And I'm all for planting more trees, but not just for the sake of it, and for the celebrity behind it to feel good about herself. If a home owner plants a tree there's a lot of planning involved. They analyze the perfect spot, how it matches the surrounding, if it's needed, etc. But in this situation it just plant one million trees for the heck of it. Cut a square, throw a bunch of dirt, the spot doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's in front of a stoop creating multiple bottlenecks in a busy block. The dirt gets all over, and half of the trees die anyway.

It really shows that human nature of not really thinking about your surrounding. In this case instead of causing pollution it's trees.

Random example, though not the best because if not a busy sidewalk.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6757113,-73.9857819,3a,75y,242.04h,83.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suHVYMwoyioFEW5PQqyvkfw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
If it is from celebrity then their intention of doing this is to get fame not to help the environment,if they want to save nature they won't have any count on number trees to be planted and they will pick the right place to plant trees where they can grow with low or no maintenance.
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
January 11, 2020, 01:30:36 AM
Here in NYC there's an initiative of planting one million trees. And I'm all for planting more trees, but not just for the sake of it, and for the celebrity behind it to feel good about herself. If a home owner plants a tree there's a lot of planning involved. They analyze the perfect spot, how it matches the surrounding, if it's needed, etc. But in this situation it just plant one million trees for the heck of it. Cut a square, throw a bunch of dirt, the spot doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it's in front of a stoop creating multiple bottlenecks in a busy block. The dirt gets all over, and half of the trees die anyway.

It really shows that human nature of not really thinking about your surrounding. In this case instead of causing pollution it's trees.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6757113,-73.9857819,3a,75y,242.04h,83.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suHVYMwoyioFEW5PQqyvkfw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The problem with these kind of initiatives is that they’re only done to please people in the short term, but no one really thinks of the long term consequences. In my personal opinion people should just not plant trees, instead they should create a community which can plan where it’s most suitable to plant them, who will take care of the trees and once they have answers to these questions then they should go ahead and plant trees.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1860
January 11, 2020, 01:10:11 AM
In 2014, the Philippines won the "Guinness World Record for the Most Tress(sic) Planted Simultaneously (Multiple Locations)."[1] That happened in one of the country's three major islands, Mindanao. A total of 2,294,629 trees were planted. That was 2.3 million trees! People are smiling proud to have participated and won the award.

I was not!

Putting my neck on the line here, I would say less than 2% of those planted will actually grow into maturity, 70% would die a day or two after due to doing everything wrong right from the start and not caring about it the minute it is done, the rest would be cut for various reasons months later, or be eaten by the cows and goats and other herbivorous animals, and so on.

That's what happens when people are planting trees just for the sake of it! They're not even tree or nature lovers!  

[1] http://minda.gov.ph/news/121-guinness-world-record-for-the-most-tress-planted-simultaneously-multiple-locations
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
January 10, 2020, 04:13:20 PM
many towns plant tree's in urban area's for the whole co2 mindset.

the only issue is that it only sorts out co2 in that area. so a parking lot with loads of trees wont really affect co2 levels 2 miles away.

tree's planted alongside roads help more.
the example in OP is not in a densely driven area of new york so its not really a good location anyway

however trees in this situation are not helping climate change. its just improving lung health

oh and by the way. most scientists are more worried about the nitrogen issues of lung health which tree's dont help with. so even the lung health issue is not solved by trees.

Activity: 368
Merit: 252
January 10, 2020, 01:49:08 PM

Pages:
Jump to: