Pages:
Author

Topic: One of the problems I see preventing mass adoption - page 2. (Read 2322 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
It has been discussed before, but I think it is still a big problem.  Most of the world's currencies allow you to buy something with 1.0 units or above.  For example, in the US we have these 99 cent stores.  Kind of a joke, because most things in there are prices above $1.00 and after taxes are certainly above $1.00.  You would be hard pressed to find something to buy elsewhere that is under $1.00 as well.  People like big, round numbers.  I'm assuming for most countries in the world it is the same, where most things purchased are typically over 1.00 units of the local currency.

Bitcoin is currently valued so high that many things are easily worth less than 1.00 BTC.  In fact, you might be able to go shopping around town and never pay for something over 1.00 BTC.  Now, if the value rises up to $1,000 USD or higher, many things that you can purchase will be worth fractions of a Bitcoin.  Imagine paying for everyday items and it seems like you never pay more than 0.00321 BTC for example.  Wouldn't that screw with people's head?

You might say we could just price everything in mBTC.  Or you could do what was talked about a long time ago in the Bitcoin community and move the decimal place.  I remember discussions where we were saying we could take a majority vote and move the decimal place (in the client code code) if necessary, just to make things look neater to the average joe.  What do you guys think??
Pages:
Jump to: