Pages:
Author

Topic: [Ongoing]Would you be interested in... High Altitude Ballooning? - page 2. (Read 4952 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1001
Quote from: cyclops link=topic=482461.msg5532978#msg5532978
Well radio tracker is not that expensive, if you do it yourself about 70-100€ depending on parts. I have access to some that cost 130€ already working (software...) receiver is the expensive part ~190€.

Yes I saw that predictor, but this one is better: http://predict.habhub.org from the ukhas.co.uk guys

Oh yes, if your in the UK that one looks awesome. Cheers M8.

It works worldwide, in fact I used it in Spain.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Quote from: cyclops link=topic=482461.msg5532978#msg5532978
Well radio tracker is not that expensive, if you do it yourself about 70-100€ depending on parts. I have access to some that cost 130€ already working (software...) receiver is the expensive part ~190€.

Yes I saw that predictor, but this one is better: http://predict.habhub.org from the ukhas.co.uk guys

Oh yes, if your in the UK that one looks awesome. Cheers M8.
legendary
I love this. Some friends convinced me to try this last summer then bailed on the project. My part was to install some java code on a Motorola i425. Each minute it fetched the GPS lat./lon. and sent it as a text message to a website that plotted the positions on google maps. 

I highly recommend doing it, but don't use the motorola if you want to get live tracking. GSM signal only works below 1000m so above that height, and this things go really high, you would have no clue of the location (until landing).

That was a concern. Our hope was to have a chase vehicle heading toward our expected landing area then wait for the signal to return once it starts pinging towers. Budget was the main reason I was using the i425. It was the cheapest phone I could find with GPS and that takes pre-paid cards.  I think now there are better options.

Oh, and you may have seen this already...
http://weather.uwyo.edu/polar/balloon_traj.html

legendary
I love this. Some friends convinced me to try this last summer then bailed on the project. My part was to install some java code on a Motorola i425. Each minute it fetched the GPS lat./lon. and sent it as a text message to a website that plotted the positions on google maps. 

I highly recommend doing it, but don't use the motorola if you want to get live tracking. GSM signal only works below 1000m so above that height, and this things go really high, you would have no clue of the location (until landing).

That was a concern. Our hope was to have a chase vehicle heading toward our expected landing area then wait for the signal to return once it starts pinging towers. Budget was the main reason I was using the i425. It was the cheapest phone I could find with GPS and that takes pre-paid cards.  I think now there are better options.

Oh, and you may have seen this already...
http://weather.uwyo.edu/polar/balloon_traj.html
legendary

legendary
legendary
If you get enough funding, it would be neat to put a GoPro or other camera in it.  They're waterproof and such so they should be fine when you recover them (assuming the impact isn't too hard).

The problem is  that condensation can form in the case creating a blurry image.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
If you get enough funding, it would be neat to put a GoPro or other camera in it.  They're waterproof and such so they should be fine when you recover them (assuming the impact isn't too hard).
legendary
Capsule is made of expanded polyethylene foam that floats, and it can be made waterproof. Furthermore SD cards are completely waterproof.

Thank you sir.  Something I will look into when I have a bit more free time.  Good luck in your project!

Thanks, if you have any doubt don't hesitate to contact me!
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
Capsule is made of expanded polyethylene foam that floats, and it can be made waterproof. Furthermore SD cards are completely waterproof.

Thank you sir.  Something I will look into when I have a bit more free time.  Good luck in your project!
legendary
Yes, it has a GPS module that sends data over RTTY each 30 secs, so you can track the balloon on a map. By using a software that analyses all the world wind data you can predict the landing spot, in fact the prediction I did before launching was nearly perfect. Also, it is advisable to launch on a non-windy day and far from sea.

Is the device waterproof and less dense than water?  If it lands in a river or lake, do you have the ability to retrieve it and not have lost anything?

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
Yes, it has a GPS module that sends data over RTTY each 30 secs, so you can track the balloon on a map. By using a software that analyses all the world wind data you can predict the landing spot, in fact the prediction I did before launching was nearly perfect. Also, it is advisable to launch on a non-windy day and far from sea.

Is the device waterproof and less dense than water?  If it lands in a river or lake, do you have the ability to retrieve it and not have lost anything?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
This is amazing!! Count me in!
legendary
I have been asking around and might be able to get more people willing to donate. Would you accept different coins too as a matter of donation? As I am pretty much involved in one currency, I can make bigger donations in them. Maybe even put on a sponsor list of peeps that have cooperated with funding this flight.

Let me know, if you would then I could be able to start kicking it to alot of other users and see what happens:).

Dosmas

PS Is it btw possible to let the camera take pictures, as it does, but then with visability of say, a sponsorlogo/message?

No problem on accepting different cryptos! And yes, the camera could take picture sod a logo with the earth behind like:
http://www.jwt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Kit-Kat-Break-From-Gravity-by-JWT-London-still-6.jpg

I am finising the project info, and I will post shortly.

Activity: 162
Merit: 100
I have been asking around and might be able to get more people willing to donate. Would you accept different coins too as a matter of donation? As I am pretty much involved in one currency, I can make bigger donations in them. Maybe even put on a sponsor list of peeps that have cooperated with funding this flight.

Let me know, if you would then I could be able to start kicking it to alot of other users and see what happens:).

Dosmas

PS Is it btw possible to let the camera take pictures, as it does, but then with visability of say, a sponsorlogo/message?
legendary
How about using cheap TP-Link 703N for high speed communication.
If you keep a parabolic dish pointed at the balloon it might work Smiley

As the ballon ascends you can't see it, and at 20+ km is nearly impossible to point with an antenna.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
How about using cheap TP-Link 703N for high speed communication.
If you keep a parabolic dish pointed at the balloon it might work Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: