Pages:
Author

Topic: Online Chess Game - page 2. (Read 3736 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
May 04, 2012, 12:25:31 PM
If I'm understanding this experiment correctly, they want people to pay to play chess on their site?

Why would I choose to do that, when I can play for free at any number of well-established sites that already have decent-sized playerbases?
Activity: 87
Merit: 12
May 04, 2012, 12:08:42 PM
If I may, people do not like signing up for stuff. Especially a game that can be played free almost anywhere. A possible solution to your 'freeloader' problem would be to set up tournaments (even over a week or two) and charge for entry. The house (that would be you) would keep a percentage of the prize(s).

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm working off some very well established baseline data.  With a nearly identical site, I can get a 22% registration rate on targeted clicks with required and confirmed deliverable e-mail addresses.  On this site, e-mail is optional so reg rate should actually be higher than that baseline (although Bitcoin users aren't going to qualify as targeted chess traffic).  With a credit card payment option, I can get a 0.4% conversion rate on clicks with an average spend of just over $30 per customer measured across a two year interval.  No prizes or tournaments have been required to get that either.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel -- just determine if the bus can run on Bitcoin as well as it can on credit card.  Realistically, my expectations are low.  The world of Bitcoin is like a poor 3rd world nation.  Its citizens aren't likely to spend much simply because they don't have much.  Nevertheless, if a successful model of any kind can be established within the Bitcoin economy, that's when we'll start to see exponential growth.
donator
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
keybase.io/arblarg
May 04, 2012, 07:47:31 AM
A really interesting project, I used to play chess a lot. Such projects should be supported more, not just exchange websites and lotteries.
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 271
May 03, 2012, 11:17:01 PM
I love chess. It is a lost art on most.

If I may, people do not like signing up for stuff. Especially a game that can be played free almost anywhere. A possible solution to your 'freeloader' problem would be to set up tournaments (even over a week or two) and charge for entry. The house (that would be you) would keep a percentage of the prize(s).

All that would be required is a Receive Address for , and a Return Address for (in case they win).

Activity: 87
Merit: 12
May 03, 2012, 11:00:04 PM
I've been working with some guys who just released a fun little web based chess game that sells access for Bitcoin.  It's primarily an experiment to test the viability of a Bitcoin micropayment gaming site, but it's a fun way to spend a few bitcents.  Try it out at:

http://www.desperadochess.com/

They are also making their sales stats publicly available, so it should be interesting to see what happens.
Pages:
Jump to: