Pages:
Author

Topic: Only got the old wallets address, possible to use it? - page 2. (Read 505 times)

legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 6080
Self-proclaimed Genius
Hmm, oh, the passphrase might be the big problem. The thing is that he, the ones this is all about, don't remember if he even had a passphrase. However, he know that he don't remember it. But since the application is synchronizing it means that no passphrase should be needed, right? Really hope so, otherwise I guess its hopeless?
If the error you're getting is what hosseinimr93 has said (quote below),
Then there should be no passphrase set because you'll get Error: Please enter the wallet passphrase with walletpassphrase first. (code -13)
with dumpprivkey whether the address is correct or not.

We tried to use dumpprivkey THE_ADRESS_OF_THE_WALLET but got the "invalid code-5" as a response. Maybe we did something wrong?
Do you mean "Invalid Bitcoin address (code -5)"?
-snip-
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 3095
BTC price road to $80k

We tried to use dumpprivkey THE_ADRESS_OF_THE_WALLET but got the "invalid code-5" as a response. Maybe we did something wrong?

Are you sure that you are in the debug console when using this command? Or you might be using Bitcoin-CLI?

Can you try to add a double quote in your address as a sample command below.

Code:
dumpprivkey "1Fkgkjrmybitcoinaddress"

Make sure no extra spaces.
Activity: 30
Merit: 5
First, thank you for answers.
Is it correct that all we need is the address of the wallet and a private key? No more keys than that are necessary to import it in a new online wallet?
You probably only need the private key, everything else can be derived from that.

So I should install it on the old computer? It´s very unupdated I think. Or is it good enough to install in on a modern day computer and import the dat-file from an USB?
Either will work. Bitcoin Core isn't super resource intensive unless you want to synchronize it.
If I copy it to a new computer its nothing that will kind of throw me out or something from the old computers? (I mean the wallet is open now, don't want to suddenly be outside).

And, "1ADDRESS" is that the adress of the wallet?
As long as your wallet.dat is backed up, you won't lose your coins. Make sure you know the passphrase as well.

Yes it is.

Hmm, oh, the passphrase might be the big problem. The thing is that he, the ones this is all about, don't remember if he even had a passphrase. However, he know that he don't remember it. But since the application is synchronizing it means that no passphrase should be needed, right? Really hope so, otherwise I guess its hopeless?

If so, what you entered is not a valid bitcoin address.
That may be an altcoin's address. If that's a bitcoin address, it must start with 1, 3 or bc1. Otherwise, it's not a bitcoin address.

Oh, I will get back about that! I don't remember what it said. Will continue tomorrow.

Thank you for your help so far!
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
If so, what you entered is not a valid bitcoin address.
That may be an altcoin's address. If that's a bitcoin address, it must start with 1, 3 or bc1. Otherwise, it's not a bitcoin address.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
Is it correct that all we need is the address of the wallet and a private key? No more keys than that are necessary to import it in a new online wallet?
You probably only need the private key, everything else can be derived from that.

So I should install it on the old computer? It´s very unupdated I think. Or is it good enough to install in on a modern day computer and import the dat-file from an USB?
Either will work. Bitcoin Core isn't super resource intensive unless you want to synchronize it.
If I copy it to a new computer its nothing that will kind of throw me out or something from the old computers? (I mean the wallet is open now, don't want to suddenly be outside).

As long as your wallet.dat is backed up, you won't lose your coins. Make sure you know the passphrase as well.

Yes it is.

I mean it should be possible to get to know the private key somehow?

The only thing we know is the wallets address.

Use this:
Code:
dumpprivkey YOUR_ADDRESS

Your wallet has to be unlocked.

To import it into another wallet (e.g. electrum), make sure to use the corresponding prefix when entering your private key, depending on the address:
If the address starts with 1..: p2pkh:XXXX
If the address starts with 3..: p2wpkh-p2sh:XXXX
If the address starts with bc1..: p2wpkh:XXXX

Edit: Seems ranochigo was faster  Cheesy

Yes. You can extract the keys out of the client, caveat being that you'll have to be sure of the addresses that contains the coins.

Firstly, go make sure you get a backup of your wallet.dat and keep it safe, do not share with anyone.

Download the latest version of Bitcoin Core (optional and it should work with older versions as well), install it and run the client. If you're sure of the addresses that contains the coins, then follow the steps below:
1. Go to Window>Console.
2. Key in the command if you have password protected your wallet.dat. Otherwise, go to step 3.
Code:
walletpassphrase PASSWORD 600
3. Key in the following, replace the address accordingly:
Code:
dumpprivkey 1ADDRESS
4. You should get a WIF private key, keep it safe first and export all the necessary addresses.

Download Electrum, validate it using PGP and it's signature and you can create a wallet to import the addresses.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

Use this:
Code:
dumpprivkey YOUR_ADDRESS

Your wallet has to be unlocked.

To import it into another wallet (e.g. electrum), make sure to use the corresponding prefix when entering your private key, depending on the address:
If the address starts with 1..: p2pkh:XXXX
If the address starts with 3..: p2wpkh-p2sh:XXXX
If the address starts with bc1..: p2wpkh:XXXX

Edit: Seems ranochigo was faster  Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
Yes. You can extract the keys out of the client, caveat being that you'll have to be sure of the addresses that contains the coins.

Firstly, go make sure you get a backup of your wallet.dat and keep it safe, do not share with anyone.

Download the latest version of Bitcoin Core (optional and it should work with older versions as well), install it and run the client. If you're sure of the addresses that contains the coins, then follow the steps below:
1. Go to Window>Console.
2. Key in the command if you have password protected your wallet.dat. Otherwise, go to step 3.
Code:
walletpassphrase PASSWORD 600
3. Key in the following, replace the address accordingly:
Code:
dumpprivkey 1ADDRESS
4. You should get a WIF private key, keep it safe first and export all the necessary addresses.

Download Electrum, validate it using PGP and it's signature and you can create a wallet to import the addresses.
Hello!

I got a question. Is it possible to find the private key and the things that needed to import an old wallet stored on an old computer? This wallet.dat-file is open in the application on the computer and the app is Bitcoin QT. Since the wallet is unsynced with the network is trying to complete the sync, but extremely slow, the wallet must be open, right?

We have been trying to use some commands in console with the wallet address input:ed but only get error "-32601" and "-5". Guess we need to put something other than the wallets adress in there?

What should we looking for, or is there nothing more to do?
Pages:
Jump to: