Pages:
Author

Topic: OpenSea investor cuts Platform’s Valuation By 75% - page 2. (Read 130 times)

staff
Activity: 2454
Merit: 1617
Crypto Swap Exchange
Anyone heard this news? What's your take on this? It's this the beginning of the downfall of the NFT market or can we say that it will still survived till the next bull run?

OpenSea, one of the largest NFT marketplaces, has been hit particularly hard, with its valuation now facing a significant cut by one of its most prominent investors, Tiger Global. According to a recent report by The Information, Tiger Global, a $13 billion tech-focused venture fund, recently disclosed that its equity in OpenSea has dropped from $126.8 million to $30.2 million, representing a 76% drawdown. The firm became one of the largest investors in OpenSea when the NFT platform raised $300 million during a Series C round earlier last year.

https://zycrypto.com/key-opensea-investor-cuts-platforms-valuation-by-75-as-global-nft-sales-plummet/

For me though, I'm not surprised, we are still the bear market, although it seems that majority of the coins are bouncing back, I still one big reason for the sudden downfall of the NFT market is the obvious bearish trend.

And that's how the market works as we all know it, sooner or later the hype will die down a bit, like the P2E model. So we will see if NFT can live or continue to exists till the next bull run. It will be the ultimate test for this market, in my opinion.
They're buying the top Cheesy It is obvious though considering the overall NFT volume has significantly decreased from its peak, which inevitably leads to a drop in the valuation of these marketplaces. I believe that NFTs are here to stay. When Bitcoin and other alts inevitably reach new ATH in the next couple of years, we'll likely see NFT volume rising as well. I agree with @Yogee; the real question is whether OpenSea will still be relevant by then.

Are there real competitors to OpenSea?
Yeah, there are alternative platforms that offer unique selling points for Ethereum NFT marketplaces. Since February 2023, OpenSea has been dethroned as the top NFT marketplace on Ethereum. The top spot (by volume) is now held by Blur, which offers a rewards system in the form of their $BLUR tokens. However, such a reward system may not be sustainable in the long run, as we have seen with LooksRare.

Meanwhile, on other blockchains like Solana, the landscape is entirely different. OpenSea doesn't have a presence there at all, with most of the market share being taken up by native marketplaces like MagicEden and Tensor.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1288
The loss of one investor does not mean the death of the platform, especially if the developers continue to make it attractive.

NFT is a technology that will stay with us, but the exaggerated inflation during the past months made it more valuable than its current value, so I would not be surprised if we witnessed continuous corrections during the coming months.

But I am sure that NFT will remain with us for several years, or at least until the wave of pumping during the next four years.

Are there real competitors to OpenSea?
Activity: 1554
Merit: 413
NFTs are here to stay and the companies that invested in Opensea sees that too. The real question here is if Opensea can remain as the top platform for NFTs in the years to come. If Tiger Global thinks otherwise then thay are likely to pull out and take the loss. The article already mentioned about increased competition as one reason for the decline in sales.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 540
Anyone heard this news? What's your take on this? It's this the beginning of the downfall of the NFT market or can we say that it will still survived till the next bull run?

OpenSea, one of the largest NFT marketplaces, has been hit particularly hard, with its valuation now facing a significant cut by one of its most prominent investors, Tiger Global. According to a recent report by The Information, Tiger Global, a $13 billion tech-focused venture fund, recently disclosed that its equity in OpenSea has dropped from $126.8 million to $30.2 million, representing a 76% drawdown. The firm became one of the largest investors in OpenSea when the NFT platform raised $300 million during a Series C round earlier last year.

https://zycrypto.com/key-opensea-investor-cuts-platforms-valuation-by-75-as-global-nft-sales-plummet/

For me though, I'm not surprised, we are still the bear market, although it seems that majority of the coins are bouncing back, I still one big reason for the sudden downfall of the NFT market is the obvious bearish trend.

And that's how the market works as we all know it, sooner or later the hype will die down a bit, like the P2E model. So we will see if NFT can live or continue to exists till the next bull run. It will be the ultimate test for this market, in my opinion.
Pages:
Jump to: