Pages:
Author

Topic: Operate Bitcoin Core on a laptop with restricted storage capacity - page 2. (Read 391 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
Are there some recommended approaches for running Bitcoin Core on a laptop with constrained storage capacity? Is it possible to use an external hard drive as the data directory (datadir)? How does this setup work, and would I need to pay attention to?

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds to this question.

Yes, it is not only possible but highly recommended setup as it makes a bit faster the sync and, at the same time,  ease the burden of the drive that holds OS.

I would advocate for external SSD instead of HDD  to not wait too long time for the  initial synchronization  completion .
Put down into bitcoin.conf the following entries

dbcache=

# where   M equals to 1/4 RAM, for instance if you RAM = 8Gb then dbcache=2048

blocksonly=1

# this will increase the sync  speed as it  disables node listening and "stop requesting and relaying transactions unless they are part of the block". After full initial sync you may remove this  entry.

datadir=

# For instance my path looks like this datadir=F:/ BitcoinData. Instead of BitcoinDta you can use any set of permissible characters you want
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
Are there some recommended approaches for running Bitcoin Core on a laptop with constrained storage capacity?

1. Use pruned mode.
2. Replace current storage drive with new internal storage drive to the laptop, which have bigger capacity.

Is it possible to use an external hard drive as the data directory (datadir)?

It is possible.

How does this setup work, and would I need to pay attention to?

You just need to specific where should Bitcoin Core store it's data. Just be careful sudden power loss or disconnect on external storage could cause corruption, which force you to perform reindex and even redownload corrupt blockchain data.
Activity: 392
Merit: 237
I have read on the forum that it is possible.

Yes you can use an external hard drive to store the data directory but you might have to manually specify it since bitcoin core will not know it is on the hard drive. So when you start the client just specify that the dir is on the external drive not the system hard drive where it is installed on. Here is what I saw on how to specify it

Code:
bitcoind --datadir=

This YouTube video might help https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mLCOW6KkbQM

Note the external hard drive might always be connected when using the bitcoin core
Activity: 33
Merit: 32
Are there some recommended approaches for running Bitcoin Core on a laptop with constrained storage capacity? Is it possible to use an external hard drive as the data directory (datadir)? How does this setup work, and would I need to pay attention to?

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds to this question.
Pages:
Jump to: