Pages:
Author

Topic: Outdoor mining rig, worried about condensation - page 2. (Read 8434 times)

Activity: 628
Merit: 500
Look at the weather forecast for 'dewpoint'. That is the temperature at which water vapor will begin to precipitate out on surfaces. Of course, your computer and video cards are like a mini-hair dryer too, 40C air blowing around inside the case will prevent moisture accumulation.

You are all assuming that the machine will never shut off.  First night of a power failure, or mining pools down and everything stops, machine could get a bunch of condensation and be dead.

yeah as those cards cool quickly. we all no when mining stops its about a 20+ degree drop in card temps
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Look at the weather forecast for 'dewpoint'. That is the temperature at which water vapor will begin to precipitate out on surfaces. Of course, your computer and video cards are like a mini-hair dryer too, 40C air blowing around inside the case will prevent moisture accumulation.

You are all assuming that the machine will never shut off.  First night of a power failure, or mining pools down and everything stops, machine could get a bunch of condensation and be dead.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
I thought, if the rig is running its very warm, so i dont have problems with humidity water. If i turn it off, there could be a problem, cause the warm air outside could give the water to the cold metal, but if its running there shouldnt be a problem.

You are right dust is a problem, but if i clean it sometimes, we have a compressed air machine at home. Insects could also be a problem for that i need a insect mesh. Thanks for the hint.

edit:
i took a look into some mainboard specs:
Operating Temperature    0°C ~ 60°C
Operating Humidity    0% ~ 85% (relative humidity; non-condensing)

I dont have a hdd or a usb drive, just a cat5 cable to boot on lan. The CPU is cooled passive, but I'm worried about the coolers of the gpus, need to clean them sometimes and take a look if the case gets wet.
Activity: 628
Condensation will not normally be a problem unless an object is colder than the ambient temperature.  A mining rig should already be hotter than ambient by a comfortable margin to prevent condensation even in a humid environment.

Even non-condensing humidity is not particularly healthy, and you also have to consider increased dust and insects.
I agree, i would also consider that most computer hardware prefer the 70 degree or cooler and in the 35% rH  (relative  humidity). With higher humidity moisture can appear and dust can just stick to the parts.
Activity: 70
Merit: 18
Condensation will not normally be a problem unless an object is colder than the ambient temperature.  A mining rig should already be hotter than ambient by a comfortable margin to prevent condensation even in a humid environment.

Even non-condensing humidity is not particularly healthy, and you also have to consider increased dust and insects.
Thats hardcore, but the snow will be water very shortly. A mining rig is like a 500W radiant heater Wink
Activity: 504
there is a thread "pictures of your mining rigs" one guy has it on his balcony, covered in snow...
Hello,

i wanna  place my mining rig outside, its to warm. We have something like a carport. So its secure from rain, but what about the atmospheric humidity ?
I think the whole System is too hot, but im still worried about condensation.

Did somebody realize my idea, or has some ideas ? Maybe i forgot some important aspects.

cheers
carlo
Pages:
Jump to: