Pages:
Author

Topic: Overview BTC Solo pools - page 2. (Read 908 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
May 28, 2022, 09:00:48 PM

When a pool gets a job that job is then distributed to the miners that are connected to the pool.

So in my mind it would stand to reason then the more hashpower a pool has the better off or luckier a miner would potentially be at hitting a block if they were to be mining there. Solo or otherwise.

I just don't see how that wouldn't be the case.

The pool doesn't get a job from the network, the pool creates jobs for its miners, I think I understand where the confusion comes from, you need to understand how mining actually works, and to do so, let's just forget about pools, and pretend that there are just 10 miners mining bitcoin, so Satoshi mined the first block with a difficulty of 1 (does not matter how he did it) and now the 10 miners are trying to mine the second block.

The first block has a "block hash" and let's just pretend it's "2222" in this case, now every miner will take that number 2222, add a random number to it, then hash it into the sha256 function to hopefully produce a "hash" that has a certain amount of zeros in front which is the "difficulty", now for the sake of simplicity we will pretend the current difficulty is 1, or in other words, the hash needs to have 1 single zero in front to be taken as a successful block.

So now I take that hash of 2222 and put it into the hash function it gives me

Code:
edee29f882543b956620b26d0ee0e7e950399b1c4222f5de05e06425b4c995e9

Any leading zeros? nop, ok then I need a random number to it, and that random number is called NONCE.

let me try to add 1 after 2222, so I hash 22221

it gives me

Code:
59dad30654dd2ea8f8b27ef495a801969db3df45c2c27eaa7cdecbc6792b6ba8

no luck, let me add 2 after 2222 and hash 22222

it gives me

Code:
cc399d73903f06ee694032ab0538f05634ff7e1ce5e8e50ac330a871484f34cf

note: those hashes are real hashes, taking 2222 and adding all the numbers from 1 to 57 did not give me a zero, but then the number/nonce 58 gave me that, so if you hash 222258 you get this hash

Code:
0789d652274665285d3a581e584c2114790d335dbc95f107bfaf4b7c10de524d

You can confirm this or do a similar practice using this website > https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html

So now when I hit this, I will broadcast to the network, and tell them, hey I found a block, it's hash is

Code:
0789d652274665285d3a581e584c2114790d335dbc95f107bfaf4b7c10de524d

The nonce I used was 58

everyone knows the previous block's hash was 2222, so they will hash 222258, if it really does start with 0, they will accept the block, and then use the new found hash to try and get another hash that starts with 0, until the difficulty changes and then they need to find a hash that starts with 00 or 000.

I think now everything about the basic mining process is clear right?

now imagine every one of these 10 people became a mining pool and has thousands of miners mining with him, it doesn't make any sense for everyone to start adding 1 and then 2 and then 3 to get to that 58 number which solved the block, everyone will be doing the same work, redoing the work the someone else did is pretty useless, as a pool operator I want the miners to try a different set of nonce/random number

I want to tell miner A, to start trying from 1 to 1000 , miner B to start from 1001 to 2000 and so on and so forth, but then I don't know if miner A will finish his 1000 tries in 1 second, it will also take a lot of recourses to allocated certain limits to every miner so what I do is, I don't send them the same work/hash

I send miner A 2222A I send miner B 2222B, this way I know even if they both start hashing 1,2,3,4 their results will be different and no duplicate work will happen.

So now, if miner B buys a large farm and I send him 2222B the total number of "digits" he can hash is limited, let's say it's only 5 digits so  2222B-----, he will do 2222B10000 and then 2222B10002, very soon he will reach to 2222B99999 and he has no more digits to change, the miner in this situation will need to change one of the parameters to open a new door of possibilities, so maybe he will do  2222BB----.

Miner B now has more chances than before because he can try more hashes, which means the pool as a whole has more chances, but miner A's chances are still limited.

The short version of this whole thing is that every individual miner has his own "job", in fact, every hash board of your miner or even every chip has its own work/job, mining to a pool does not change that, mining to a pool is like mining solo but with a promise/obligation to pay the other miners a % based on their hashrate contribution, and are also are under the same obligation, in the end, it's only 1 miner that finds the block, the pool system simply devices the profit between all miners based the hashrate.

In a solo pool like CK, the pool gives all the profit - fees only to the mine which found the block.

Please note:

** Changing a single digit in the input of the hash will give you a completely different hash, so hashing 2222B0000 will not be the same as 2222b0000
** Not only 58 solves the 2222 block, but there are dozen of other numbers that do so, it's all random, for an example 22221234 also has a hash with 0
** Miner B has more hashrate and can try more numbers in the same period of time compared to miner A, but that does not mean miner A can't beat him to the race, it's just that based on probability miner B is more likely to find a good hash

Finally, please keep in mind the above explanation of how the pool specifies different jobs to miners or how miners submit a block or what value do they hash and how they hash it, is an extreme oversimplification of the real process, there are many more parameters involved but by the understanding the above you will at least haveve a good clue and clear some (if not all ) of the confusion.

Activity: 562
Merit: 139
May 28, 2022, 06:37:40 PM
nope

you have one shovel trying to mine a share higher than 29trill

I have five shovels trying to mine a share higher than 29trill

I am five time more likely to hit than you and In the current difficulty period of 29 trill nothing I do with my gear helps or hurts you.

However
it the longer run if I do enough shovels to raise the difficulty to 30 trillion or higher for the next adjustment.

than you have a smaller shot to hit the block.

I understand the odds go up the more miners you have (shovels in your analogy) and the odds go down as the difficulty goes up.

But if a pool distributes the jobs randomly then I just don't see how the pools combined hashpower wouldn't effect the potential of the miners involved solo or otherwise.

Maybe I am not grasping how the pool gets the job from the network as well as I should.

Any additional information on this process would be appreciated.

legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 7701
'The right to privacy matters'
May 28, 2022, 06:30:56 PM

In terms of probability in doesn't matter for each individual miner, it only matters how much hashrate they provide individually.

What I think is significant is that if you have a pool with a high enough hashrate that means that there will be blocks found, and therefore fees will be paid to the pool, which will allow the payment for the servers and so on so the operation can continue smoothly for everyone.

But if you have a pool with low hashrate then probably no blocks will be found, server bills will arrive and with no incoming blocks the pool operator might have to shut the operation down.

It still comes down to me trying to grasp this.

When a pool gets a job that job is then distributed to the miners that are connected to the pool.

So in my mind it would stand to reason then the more hashpower a pool has the better off or luckier a miner would potentially be at hitting a block if they were to be mining there. Solo or otherwise.

nope

you have one shovel trying to mine a share higher than 29trill

I have five shovels trying to mine a share higher than 29trill

I am five time more likely to hit than you and In the current difficulty period of 29 trill nothing I do with my gear helps or hurts you.

However
it the longer run if I do enough shovels to raise the difficulty to 30 trillion or higher for the next adjustment.

than you have a smaller shot to hit the block.
May 28, 2022, 06:24:01 PM

In terms of probability in doesn't matter for each individual miner, it only matters how much hashrate they provide individually.

What I think is significant is that if you have a pool with a high enough hashrate that means that there will be blocks found, and therefore fees will be paid to the pool, which will allow the payment for the servers and so on so the operation can continue smoothly for everyone.

But if you have a pool with low hashrate then probably no blocks will be found, server bills will arrive and with no incoming blocks the pool operator might have to shut the operation down.

It still comes down to me trying to grasp this.

Activity: 952
Merit: 938
May 28, 2022, 11:12:25 AM
Don't roast me for this but I think the real question is...

Does the higher amount of hashpower a pool has increase the chances of someone in the pool finding a block (solo or otherwise)?

My thoughts would say yes.
~snip~

legendary
March 27, 2022, 10:21:12 PM
The solo miners hashpower in that solo pool still has the same odds as their contributed hashpower to said pool.

The solo miners who did not add more hash power still have the same odds, only the odds of the person that added more hashrate will increase and thus it increases the odds of the pool as a whole.

The more hashpower a solo pool has the better odds are that the pool will find a block.

That's correct.
March 27, 2022, 10:04:11 PM
I think that your example clarifies it to some extent.

The more hashpower a solo pool has the better odds are that the pool will find a block.

The solo miners hashpower in that solo pool still has the same odds as their contributed hashpower to said pool.

Is that a correct deduction?

TIA

It increases the overall chances of "the pool" finding a block, the only person who gets those added chances would be the one who added that hashrate, the rest of the miners' chances will not be affected by this.

Think about a hunting trip where 1000 people randomly shoot at the woods' side hoping to catch some deers, those people join forces in teams, let's say 100 hunters in each team, now imagine they all shoot at the same rate, now someone "John" in team B decides to buy a gun with a higher fire rate, team B's chances to hunt a deer will now increase, in fact, the chances of the whole hunting group (1000 hunters) increase, but just because "John" now has more chances of hunting a deer than he did before, it means exactly nothing to "Bruce" who is also in team B.

Now that is the solo mining part of it, with pool mining (hunters in the above example share the deers which anyone of them hunts based on the number of bullets each of them shot) it helps smooth the rate at which the hunters get to eat some meat, which is why mining on a large pool gives you a sort of frequent small rewards while small pools give you larger chunks at larger intervals, eventually when measuring against infinity they all give you the same rewards provided that your hashrate has not changed.

That's pretty much how mining works, I can't think of a simpler way to describe it, but if you still have any questions, feel free to ask.

legendary
March 27, 2022, 07:11:27 PM
Does the higher amount of hashpower a pool has increase the chances of someone in the pool finding a block (solo or otherwise)?

It increases the overall chances of "the pool" finding a block, the only person who gets those added chances would be the one who added that hashrate, the rest of the miners' chances will not be affected by this.

Think about a hunting trip where 1000 people randomly shoot at the woods' side hoping to catch some deers, those people join forces in teams, let's say 100 hunters in each team, now imagine they all shoot at the same rate, now someone "John" in team B decides to buy a gun with a higher fire rate, team B's chances to hunt a deer will now increase, in fact, the chances of the whole hunting group (1000 hunters) increase, but just because "John" now has more chances of hunting a deer than he did before, it means exactly nothing to "Bruce" who is also in team B.

Now that is the solo mining part of it, with pool mining (hunters in the above example share the deers which anyone of them hunts based on the number of bullets each of them shot) it helps smooth the rate at which the hunters get to eat some meat, which is why mining on a large pool gives you a sort of frequent small rewards while small pools give you larger chunks at larger intervals, eventually when measuring against infinity they all give you the same rewards provided that your hashrate has not changed.

That's pretty much how mining works, I can't think of a simpler way to describe it, but if you still have any questions, feel free to ask.
Activity: 94
Merit: 16
March 27, 2022, 05:40:41 PM
I finished building it and we have already 2 phs.
The total hash rate of a solo pool is irrelevant because only 1 physical miner gets the block and only the 1 owner of that hardware gets the rewards. It might be a Compac Ferrari running 360GHs or it could be a 93THs Avalon. Hash ran by others in the pool does not mean anything to the results.

Total hashrate on a solo pool is relevant in case you need to know if mining pool is highly available and highly resiliient or just a piece of crap nodejs code on a VPS server.

Amount of hashpower increases your ability to find a block quickly but doesn't affect Luck.

March 27, 2022, 01:38:36 PM
Don't roast me for this but I think the real question is...

The total hash rate of a solo pool is irrelevant because only 1 physical miner gets the block and only the 1 owner of that hardware gets the rewards. It might be a Compac Ferrari running 360GHs or it could be a 93THs Avalon. Hash ran by others in the pool does not mean anything to the results.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2490
Evil beware: We have waffles!
March 27, 2022, 01:23:44 PM
Activity: 94
Merit: 16
March 27, 2022, 12:25:09 PM
I can assure you they need to mine on Soloblocks.io soloblocks.io

It is profitable (highly).

legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 2529
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
February 17, 2022, 07:20:43 AM
Hello all,

last 20h someone rented around 460 PHs or more for 10-20h. Knows someone if the hashpower on one BTC solo pool are rised extremly in this time and can wie list all known solo pools here? This will happend sometime and i would be interestet, if this rental hit a block on a other solo pool.

Best regards,
Willi
Pages:
Jump to: