Pages:
Author

Topic: p2pool - Decentralized, Absolutely DoS-Proof, Pool Hopping-Proof Pool [archival] - page 8. (Read 35481 times)

Activity: 435
Merit: 250
If you have any ideas for how to clarify the documentation, you could help improve it. Smiley

On to the Wiki I go. Smiley
Activity: 516
Merit: 643
EDIT: I really have to study this whole (new for me) process in more depth, many things are not clear to me.
Seems P2Pool just got block 162404, and while it's immature, my incoming transaction from 'bitcoind listtransactions' is around half the value shown in blockexplorer.
(doesn't mean anything is wrong, i was just not used to looking so much "under the hood").

If you have any ideas for how to clarify the documentation, you could help improve it. Smiley Output from listtransactions should match the block shown in blockexplorer. What address were you mining to? Maybe pastebin the output of listtransactions?
Activity: 456
is it just me or does p2pool eat up a LOT of bandwidth?.. im not on a super mega fast connection but its decent and it slows down to a crawl.

During the initial sharechain download, it has to download about 30 MB. After that, it should never use more than about 4 kB/s. If you can confirm that it's actually using a lot more, I'd appreciate you running it with --debug and pastebinning some of the output.

Problem on my end.. not p2pool.. fixed the problem.. thx!
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
When using the -a to specify an address, does this have to be an address that's in bitcoind, and has a private key available locally, or can I specify any bitcoin address, such as one on another computer or my phone's wallet?

It can be any Bitcoin address.

Confirmed. Received two payments to my Android wallet last night. Thanks!!!
donator
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Thanks forestv.  I put in 3.5 Ghash to test, not merged  Smiley  I'll have to test out settings for a few days and then add some more, and set up merged.  It is a bit more setup than regular pooled or solo mining but not too much.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Yup, there is a p2pool address, and it's the same in the p2pool.exe

Well it's working without problems, nice!
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
BitMinter
 Cheesy i like what i see. Payout works fine. Now we need some more hashing power.

@Gabi: it will create a new address in your client. Or you can set it with -a or so.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Mining now!

So i suppose i'll receive BTC to the address of my open bitcoin client?
If that is really how it was supposed to work, then something is wrong.
I, too, have forwarded port (tested), and I also only got
Code:
Peers: 10

More will come with time. Peers are ranked based on how long they've been up and available to others.

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the quick reply.

EDIT: I really have to study this whole (new for me) process in more depth, many things are not clear to me.
Seems P2Pool just got block 162404, and while it's immature, my incoming transaction from 'bitcoind listtransactions' is around half the value shown in blockexplorer.
(doesn't mean anything is wrong, i was just not used to looking so much "under the hood").
Activity: 516
Merit: 643
Have there been no payouts between now and Saturday morning?

We haven't had any blocks in more than a day. However, a couple of days ago, we got three blocks in one day!

I setup p2pool as my backup pool.  I also setup merged mining with namecoin.  Is there anyone work on improving p2pool sharing the aux chain? Effectively solo-mining the aux chain can't be the best we can do.

Is there a block explorer-like site for the p2pool chain? It would be interesting to see how much hash power, the contributions, numbers of peers, etc.  http://forre.st:9332/graphs/ has some stuff, but not much.

Pooled mining for auxchains is on the TODO list... though there are still some problems I'm trying to figure out.

A "share explorer" sounds like a good idea. It'd be easy to add to P2Pool's web interface, too.

When using the -a to specify an address, does this have to be an address that's in bitcoind, and has a private key available locally, or can I specify any bitcoin address, such as one on another computer or my phone's wallet?

It can be any Bitcoin address.

Does anyone know the most efficient cgminer settings (scantime, queue, --submit-stale)?  And will load balance work, or is that not recommended?

EDIT: Reset everything, now connected.  I know there should be a lot of longpoll requests, but is it normal to have more than the accepted shares?

I don't use any flags, and it seems to work very well for me. Load balance should work unless cgminer is broken... Has anyone else tried it?

Lots of longpolls are completely normal.

Code:

More will come with time. Peers are ranked based on how long they've been up and available to others.

is it just me or does p2pool eat up a LOT of bandwidth?.. im not on a super mega fast connection but its decent and it slows down to a crawl.

During the initial sharechain download, it has to download about 30 MB. After that, it should never use more than about 4 kB/s. If you can confirm that it's actually using a lot more, I'd appreciate you running it with --debug and pastebinning some of the output.

Is there no -a option for merged mining to pay namecoins to an external address?

No, all Namecoin work is handled by namecoind currently.
donator

For merged mining, make sure your namecoind is update to date, and RPC port/user/password matches --merged-url and --merged-userpass of p2pool.

Is there no -a option for merged mining to pay namecoins to an external address?
Activity: 456

Code:
I understand that this number should be higher if I have forwarded the port 9333 in my router, right?

Yes, the client is limited to 10 outgoing connections, but if you forward the port, you can get more incoming ones.

Code:
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
CGminer and phoenix show that they are mining bitcoin but P2pool isn't showing any hashrate or shares. Merged mining with namecoins keeps giving me getauxblock errors and litecoin with p2pool gives me a json-rpc error.

Bitcoin p2pool, merged mining, and Litecoin p2pool all works for me. The share chain difficulty of Bitcoin p2pool is about 150 now, it means in average, you will have one share accounted for the about same time you get 150 shares accounted in other pools. So be patient to see your shares appear, and/or check your estimated payout instead.

For merged mining, make sure your namecoind is update to date, and RPC port/user/password matches --merged-url and --merged-userpass of p2pool.

For Litecoin mining, if you run litecoind and p2pool on the same machine, be careful to modify port numbers for either litecoind or p2pool, because they conflict by default.
donator
Holliday I appreciate your trying to help, but I already have 8333, 8334, and 9333 forwarded.  P2pool nodes connect on 9333, miners connect on 9332.  My node is up.  My miner won't connect.  I need to figure out if it's the router, server, or client.  I'm just going to reset everything.

Does anyone know the most efficient cgminer settings (scantime, queue, --submit-stale)?  And will load balance work, or is that not recommended?

EDIT: Reset everything, now connected.  I know there should be a lot of longpoll requests, but is it normal to have more than the accepted shares?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

Thanks
Activity: 575
The North Remembers
CGminer and phoenix show that they are mining bitcoin but P2pool isn't showing any hashrate or shares. Merged mining with namecoins keeps giving me getauxblock errors and litecoin with p2pool gives me a json-rpc error.
donator
I'm still getting pool dead on cgminer. Do I need to forward 9332 as well? It doesn't show open the machine running p2pool (miner is different machine).
Activity: 742
I setup p2pool as my backup pool.  I also setup merged mining with namecoin.  Is there anyone work on improving p2pool sharing the aux chain? Effectively solo-mining the aux chain can't be the best we can do.

Is there a block explorer-like site for the p2pool chain? It would be interesting to see how much hash power, the contributions, numbers of peers, etc.  http://forre.st:9332/graphs/ has some stuff, but not much.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
100X100111XX10
So, I've read the documentation available about p2pool (wiki, readme, etc). I'm asking just to be sure that I understand correctly how this works.

So, you need to have a bitcoind running somewhere. So, if I'm on one computer, I start bitcoind with p2pool, and the software is going to work like I'm solo mining, but with p2pool activated. I suppose that the Bitcoins that I received are going to be deposited into the wallet.dat associated with the bitcoind I used on that computer.

What if I have 12 different computers? Is it possible to only have one bitcoind somewhere on the network, where p2pool connect to and where Bitcoins are deposited? The documentation seems written for miners who only have one rig. What in the case I have many rigs, and I want all the Bitcoins mined to be in the same wallet somewhere?
Not sure if you can point all of them to the same p2pool or bitcoind.exe, but you can manually set the payout address when starting run_p2pool.exe.

I'm using the same address for all my mining boxes.
run_p2pool.exe user password -a 1HLXuWY1JC6j6RD2c6BUFCGyeqFrTZ9qAG
Pages:
Jump to: