Pages:
Author

Topic: Panic 31-J - page 2. (Read 1656 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
July 29, 2017, 07:35:47 PM
If I  understood well, only transactions that are made while hard fork (around 12h pm gmt on August 1st) could never be confirmed. Once forks are separated, everything should be fine again in each fork.

If there is an hardfork, transactions could be nicely separated which makes it clear without messed it up.
If I'm right, only when there is a chain split (which is not hard fork), things could be tricky because at some point one of two branch will just be wipe out by the other which has achieve more computing power/ has the greatest difficulty of POW

That was the risk of the UASF BIP148 idea. If UASF BIP148 took traction, this would mean that the legacy chain would be wiped out forever, and only BIP148 UASF chain would survive and that would become de-facto BTC.

The good side is that you avoid the possibility of 2 bitcoins forever, the bad side is that if you are on the legacy chain and you sold your 148 coins for BTC you risk lossing it all.

Luckily, BIP148 is now out of the picture. I wouldn't worry about BCC at all.

If you want to worry, worry about november's supposed hardfork to segwit2x... now that 's something I don't see clear at all. I hope the NYA camp gets convinced of the mistake of hardforking in 3 months.
Activity: 171
Merit: 100
July 29, 2017, 09:39:50 AM
If I  understood well, only transactions that are made while hard fork (around 12h pm gmt on August 1st) could never be confirmed. Once forks are separated, everything should be fine again in each fork.

If there is an hardfork, transactions could be nicely separated which makes it clear without messed it up.
If I'm right, only when there is a chain split (which is not hard fork), things could be tricky because at some point one of two branch will just be wipe out by the other which has achieve more computing power/ has the greatest difficulty of POW
Activity: 672
Merit: 266
July 29, 2017, 06:36:31 AM
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
July 29, 2017, 05:57:19 AM
on July 12, the community of Bitcoin.org issued a statement on its page informing about the possible hardfork of Bitcoin on July 31 of this year (Jul 31 2017 20:00: 00 GMT-0400) and its implications: a portion of the Bitcoin nodes will run software that will be incompatible with the other portion, resulting in confirmations in the Bitcoin network becoming "unreliable" indefinitely. Which means that any amount of bitcoins that are received or sent just after or during the event may disappear later from the digital portfolio, or become a kind of bitcoin that other people or businesses will not accept as payment.

What do you think ?
Pages:
Jump to: