Pages:
Author

Topic: Paper wallet without printing (Writing it down by hand) - page 2. (Read 3578 times)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Only I know which emails go together and in what order.

If you die unexpectedly then how will your heirs be able to inherit your BTC?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
Hi, I'm looking to store bitcoins securely for the long term (hoping they'll one day be worth $5000 haha)

Please tell me if this is a secure way:

boot from Ubuntu Live CD ---> Bitaddress.org ---> Disconnect from internet ---> Generate address & private key (how do these two get input into the bitcoin system if I am disconnected from the internet?)---> Write these two down with hand on paper ---> Shutdown.

Also, when using the Brain Wallet function, I should type in something ridiculously long and complicated and I won't need to remember the passphrase nor write it down as long as I have the private key correct?

I use a similar method. I use Puppy to store a key to a USB stick and dupe it several times. If you're encrypting the key you will need the passphrase. For an effective brain wallet try using firstbits.com. All you need to remember is the first 6-8 characters.

My favorite way is one I developed myself. I store the key in my phone and backed up to my computer as a collection of contacts in my contact list. I have 50 contacts stored with fake email addresses where the beginning of the email is a part of the key. I memorize the first four characters and store the remainder as a sequence in the list of contacts that only I know.

1JwS memorized

With Johns contact email [email protected]
And Janet's email [email protected]
And Ted's email [email protected]

And so on. Only I know which emails go together and in what order. Just picking the correct sequence of 6 numbers considering one of the emails could be used twice your chance of picking the correct order would be 1 in 175,711,536 and you still wouldn't have the first 4.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Hi, I'm looking to store bitcoins securely for the long term (hoping they'll one day be worth $5000 haha)

Please tell me if this is a secure way:

boot from Ubuntu Live CD ---> Bitaddress.org ---> Disconnect from internet ---> Generate address & private key (how do these two get input into the bitcoin system if I am disconnected from the internet?)---> Write these two down with hand on paper ---> Shutdown.

Also, when using the Brain Wallet function, I should type in something ridiculously long and complicated and I won't need to remember the passphrase nor write it down as long as I have the private key correct?
Pages:
Jump to: