Pages:
Author

Topic: Passphrase recovery with Btcrecovery - page 2. (Read 332 times)

Activity: 355
Merit: 268
March 21, 2023, 01:32:15 PM
Download Mentalist from https://github.com/sc0tfree/mentalist

It's an amazing tool, easy to use and helps you build a custom wordlist.

With btcrecover you can load the wordlist with the --passwordlist command (afaik),

with mentalist can use the GUI and have a better understanding of how large the wordlist will also be.

The mask options have been confusing for me in btcrecover, it does a good job at checking if the password is correct most of the time but the wordlist is better generated with mentalist.

You also mentioned macbook, best thing to do is export all the passwords from the keychain and create a wordlist with them.

You might also want to check the better branch of btcrecover it's over at https://github.com/3rdIteration and the maintainer has great videos at https://www.youtube.com/@CryptoGuide
Activity: 16
Merit: 10
March 21, 2023, 01:09:39 PM
There is another tool that you can use to brute-force the wallet passphrase it was developed by Coding Enthusiast.

You can check that tool from his thread below

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-finderouter-a-bitcoin-recovery-tool-v0160-2022-09-19-5214021

Once you downloaded it just go to Missing Mnemonic Passphrase and try to brute-force your wallet just make sure that you remember some parts of your passphrase to speed up the process.
Thanks. I did try this previously however I couldn't quite understand the alphabet use case. I tried it anyway and it had crashed when I woke up, lol.
I couldn't get it working on a Macbook unfortunately which would have been way faster vs. my Windows laptop.

Where would I add the words that I believe the passphrase is made up of?
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971
Block halving is coming.
March 21, 2023, 01:04:57 PM
There is another tool that you can use to brute-force the wallet passphrase it was developed by Coding Enthusiast.

You can check that tool from his thread below

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-finderouter-a-bitcoin-recovery-tool-v0160-2022-09-19-5214021

Once you downloaded it just go to Missing Mnemonic Passphrase and try to brute-force your wallet just make sure that you remember some parts of your passphrase to speed up the process.
March 21, 2023, 11:57:01 AM
I'm sorry to read that you lost access to your bitcoin.

However I'm not sure that I fully understand, did you lose the seed phrase associated with your ledger?
As far as I know, ledgers have a code with X digits, not a password in words, right?

Can you tell us which wallet you used when you created your password?
Normally your seed should be 24 words long, if you didn't add any. If your wallet was Electrum for example, then your seed phrase would only be 12 words.

Btcrecover is a great tool, as hashcat is too. But I am not sure to understand enough your exact problem to be able to advise 1 specific tool

Good luck with your coins!

Thanks for your message. I do have the 24 word seed (I'll update my original post). Ledger does offer the option to create a passphrase that's attached to a pin.
Activity: 504
Merit: 1065
Crypto Swap Exchange
March 21, 2023, 11:14:08 AM
I'm sorry to read that you lost access to your bitcoin.

However I'm not sure that I fully understand, did you lose the seed phrase associated with your ledger?
As far as I know, ledgers have a code with X digits, not a password in words, right?

Can you tell us which wallet you used when you created your password?
Normally your seed should be 24 words long, if you didn't add any. If your wallet was Electrum for example, then your seed phrase would only be 12 words.

Btcrecover is a great tool, as hashcat is too. But I am not sure to understand enough your exact problem to be able to advise 1 specific tool

Good luck with your coins!
March 21, 2023, 10:23:47 AM
I'm trying to use Btcrecover to find my passphrase. I entered it on a Ledger Nano S and I thought I was sure of the words, but obviously I'm wrong. I do have the correct 24 word seed.
My passphrase is relatively long; possibly 15-20 words all put together.  I've tried multiple custom token lists to no avail, and wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

When using --listpass, I've noticed that if -typos-capslock is enabled, it tries combinations of lowercaseUPPERCASElowercase.

1. My passphrase is all lowercase or all uppercase. If it's all lowercase, then possibly, the first letter of the passphrase OR first letter of each word is proper case. It would have been a pain to do that on the Ledger though so I am hoping it's all lower or upper case. Is there any way to run only those combinations, or do I need to try each casetype as a separate run?

2. I'm relatively confident there are certain words, and even the order, and use + in front of those. The other words are in the middle but I'm not certain how the "relative anchor" works.

3. Complicating things more, I may have replaced a's with @, s with $ etc. I have the custom-typos map but that becomes way too many combinations. I think I did it only for the first a or s in a word and not all. I.e., Emb@rra$s

Any thoughts/suggestions/scripts/other tools than btcrecover you can suggest?

Thank you for joining me on this recovery journey.
Pages:
Jump to: