Pages:
Author

Topic: Payment Address on Plastic "Credit Card" - page 2. (Read 7823 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
November 14, 2011, 03:09:47 PM
It would be nice if you could upload custom QR codes like ones made on http://www.qrhacker.com/
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
November 13, 2011, 05:08:13 PM
these are cool  Wink
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
CoinedBits.com
October 12, 2011, 12:04:02 AM
For all of your who are uploading your own design, I'd love to see them posted here in the forum.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
October 11, 2011, 09:45:02 AM
An option to upload a custom design is now available.  During the check out process you can upload a JPEG, and then it gives you the option to place the QR code and plain text address on your image.

I will also be expanding the list of available pre-made designs by offering a 20% rev share for anyone with design talent who wants to participate.  You send me your design, I'll make it an available option, and you'll get 20% of each sale anytime someone chooses a design you made.

More information, including file specs and templates is available here: http://www.paymyaddress.com/contribute-designs.html

Just wanted to say that this is now 20% more awesome than it already was!

p.s. For those making custom templates and trying to match screen colors with printed ones whip up a search for 'screen to printed medium color matching', 'Color Matching Module', and 'ICC Profile'. If you have or can acquire the ICC for your printer, BradZimdack that would be friggin killer for anyone that is particular about their colors. Sadly, I am not presently familiar with what is out there but the engineering firm I worked for over 15 years ago had software and hardware that did just that. So, one would imagine this still exists and is proably a LOT cheaper than the options we used.

Cheers
Activity: 87
Merit: 12
October 10, 2011, 12:45:19 PM
Can you underline the readable part of a vanity address?

This could be done by uploading a custom design that already includes the text of your address.
Activity: -
Merit: -
October 09, 2011, 09:13:42 PM
Heya,

Nice idea and great design. Just a quick question :

Can you underline the readable part of a vanity address? Perhaps you've already answered this in an earlier post.

For instance, either 1ThisDude or 1(blahblah)ThisDude(blahblah)

Thanks in advance for answering.
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
October 09, 2011, 09:27:21 AM
Making cool qr-codes is easy. The system has a good margin for error. google 'hack qr codes'
Some ideas;
http://www.joelbuckland.com/2010/10/30-interesting-ways-qr-codes-are-being-used/

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
October 09, 2011, 08:23:27 AM
Granted it's not likely to be very useful but I thought of one use for it.

Door prizes or similar. You visit an event and scan your card as you enter/register etc. Now they know who to send any prize to if they have a draw. There's probably other things like this that it could be handy for.

the magstripe?
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
October 09, 2011, 04:35:38 AM
Granted it's not likely to be very useful but I thought of one use for it.

Door prizes or similar. You visit an event and scan your card as you enter/register etc. Now they know who to send any prize to if they have a draw. There's probably other things like this that it could be handy for.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
October 09, 2011, 12:46:23 AM
I will say this: magstripe gives the card a subconscious feel of being "active" in a way, even if it's not.

A magstripe could be put on the card simply by using magstripe cardstock without actually encoding anything.

October 08, 2011, 11:22:56 PM
make the card with a magnetic stripe, qr code, text and any other ways of displaying information.

It is possible to encode a magnetic stripe on cards like this, but as MoonShadow pointed out, the purpose of these cards is really the inverse of a credit card.  They could never be used to make a purchase in a store, but rather they're to receive funds from another individual -- such collecting a debt, receiving a gift from a friend, or any other time someone would otherwise be inclined to hand you some cash.

In fact, if Bitcoin ever replaces credit card as the standard way to pay for things, mag stripe readers might go the way of these:

Activity: 350
Merit: 251
October 08, 2011, 04:41:23 AM
make the card with a magnetic stripe, qr code, text and any other ways of displaying information.
legendary
October 07, 2011, 08:11:26 PM
Adding bitcoin adress containing magstripe to the card will be nice option.

To what end?  Who would use it?
Any person/shop who had a stripe reader (hooked to a pc?) could use it to read the same value as the QR code. Of course, that would require substantially wide use of these cards and to be done properly it would need some standard implementation of checksum/coding on the stripe too.

Why would they use it?  The QR codes are to receive funds from someone else, not pay for them.  It's completely backwards of how a credit card currently works.  Who is going to add magstripe readers to their cell phone so that they can scan the vendor's card when the camera can scan a QR sticker affixed to the register at least as well?
October 07, 2011, 08:07:01 PM
An option to upload a custom design is now available.  During the check out process you can upload a JPEG, and then it gives you the option to place the QR code and plain text address on your image.

I will also be expanding the list of available pre-made designs by offering a 20% rev share for anyone with design talent who wants to participate.  You send me your design, I'll make it an available option, and you'll get 20% of each sale anytime someone chooses a design you made.

More information, including file specs and templates is available here: http://www.paymyaddress.com/contribute-designs.html
Awesome. I'm going to work on a design later today.
October 07, 2011, 08:02:34 PM

Any person/shop who had a stripe reader (hooked to a pc?) could use it to read the same value as the QR code. Of course, that would require substantially wide use of these cards and to be done properly it would need some standard implementation of checksum/coding on the stripe too.
legendary
October 07, 2011, 07:07:55 PM

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029
Death to enemies!
October 07, 2011, 06:38:57 PM
October 07, 2011, 12:04:09 PM

Activity: 181
Merit: 100
October 06, 2011, 03:54:10 PM
Using a graphic library (php/perl/cgi) you can directly impose the address and a QR code automatically based on what they put in text field, so you can have them upload any image and alter it before you even see it, and can preview it to them. So they can download a template and just leave the space of bar at the bottom and a section based on a dropdown of where the QR goes, the rest can be their design then and no work for you after that point.
October 06, 2011, 01:11:02 PM
Question about your card printer: does it use dye sublimation for the colors and resin for the black?

Yes, I think so.  I haven't had much chance to experiment with this printer to fully test its capabilities and limitations, but your description of the print quality sounds about right.  Compared to a bank card, the colors are a bit subdued and edges, such as on small text, aren't as sharp.  I suppose this is just the trade-off for cost effective one-off printing.  The QR code scans fine, but I haven't tried with a color or stylized QR code yet.  The address along the bottom is 3.5mm and still readable, but I probably wouldn't recommend going any smaller than that.

I'm presently working on the image upload feature and I'll include some design specs and suggestions along with it.
Pages:
Jump to: