Pages:
Author

Topic: PayPal - good or bad? - page 2. (Read 4597 times)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100
September 25, 2011, 05:30:12 PM
PayPal is too restrictive, they say. Well, PayPal is not available in my country; and as a turn around I'm using a french PayPal account with a Virtual Credit Card. It's more than 3 years now, and I might have processed more than $10K in payments. Never had a problem. I even did a charge back, and had a conversion with a PayPal agent.

Well, I think I'm lucky. Still, I don't leave more than $500 in my PP balance. Everything is fine. PayPal is really great for payment, I hope one day it becomes available.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
September 25, 2011, 01:45:40 PM
There is good and bad, and then there is evil.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
BitMinter
September 25, 2011, 06:01:52 AM
I dislike PP's policies, but they're easier to use (IMO) than Google Checkout. I don't know about Google Checkout, but PayPal is very quick to freeze accounts with 'suspicious' activity. Then, from what I've heard, it can be near impossible to unfreeze the money.

Suspicious activity tends to be actually processing a lot of payments.

+1 I used a VPN connection once to make a payment and they called me at 2am the same day to let me verify that i made the payment. Short after, they froze my account for no real reason. Did not lose any money but i dislike their policies much. They are much too restrictive. Sad, because the idea behind PayPal is good and payment works without problems (when it works).
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
September 24, 2011, 09:31:46 AM
I've never had a paypal account so I wanted to try and get some feedback from the bitcoin community about the service.  I understand how a paypal account can have value and why someone would want to create one.  I've also heard bad things about paypal and how they can be very heavy handed. 

Any constructive replies will be very much appreciated  Smiley

PayPal is very convenient because it's a fast and easy way to transfer funds using a credit card which offers the most protection when doing business online in what
may be lets say, uncertain situations where there might be more risk of something going. Also you're protected against fraud by the credit card company and PayPal
itself to a lesser extent. PayPal also supports multiple currencies so it's convenient and cheap for dealing with buyers/sellers in other countries using other currencies.

But the problem with using PayPal for Bitcoins is two-fold:

1. PayPal doesn't allow its service to be used to buy or sell Bitcoins and they will instantly close an account if they discover you doing that.

2. If you're selling Bitcoins and taking PayPal as payment, there is nothing to stop the buyer making a chargeback against your PayPal account/credit card.

Activity: 14
September 23, 2011, 10:09:56 PM
I dislike PP's policies, but they're easier to use (IMO) than Google Checkout. I don't know about Google Checkout, but PayPal is very quick to freeze accounts with 'suspicious' activity. Then, from what I've heard, it can be near impossible to unfreeze the money.

Suspicious activity tends to be actually processing a lot of payments.
Activity: 28
September 23, 2011, 10:05:58 PM
You should ask yourself what do you want to use it for exactly?

I get chills down my spine if I use them and think they're "evil" but that's personal. Sorry not very consturctive.
Activity: 14
September 23, 2011, 02:06:10 PM
I've never had a paypal account so I wanted to try and get some feedback from the bitcoin community about the service.  I understand how a paypal account can have value and why someone would want to create one.  I've also heard bad things about paypal and how they can be very heavy handed. 

Any constructive replies will be very much appreciated  Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: