Pages:
Author

Topic: PCI-E 7 slot expansion board - page 2. (Read 7752 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 257
January 18, 2012, 12:10:18 PM
Well, let's see...
$60 via board + $10 ram + $220 backplane for 7 cards. $41.43/slot
$50 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + $10 extender + $220 backplane for 8 cards. $40.00/slot
$80 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + $10 extender + $220 backplane for 10 cards. $35/slot (and lots of fun with 8 card driver limit)

vs.

$80 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + 2 $10 extenders for 4 cards. $35/slot.

Meh.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
January 18, 2012, 12:06:36 PM

As an alternative to fans you likely could insulate the entire thing and hook it to an AC unit. Smiley Smiley

This thing is interesting but AMD drives kill the usefulness.  I mean building a 3x5970 rig is possible w/o extenders.  Even w/ 5870s getting 4,5, or 6 on a board with extenders is already pretty easy.   Paying $200+ to gain 2 more GPU isn't really worth it.  Just build another rig.
Hooking 48 GPU to a single motherboard.  Well now that is just cool.

Yea, I would try and 'box' them in so heat from any one unit is not warming another.  I am overdue to post some picks of the cards I have mounted inside of Capri Sun boxes. It works marvelously at directing the air properly over the cards. Not to mention, they are slightly more protected than they otherwise would be.
January 18, 2012, 12:03:18 PM
I'd have to consider putting something like that at the end of a 16x extender cable. Just attach that extender of their's into the expansion board and run the cable to it. You might have a slight clearance issue to consider with extender cable though. But that is easily remedied with either plcing the mobo on a shelf just below this unit with a 'slot' in the shelf for the cable.

I like the pic he has, showing it mining almost 2GH at Deepbit, presumably using this board.
Sugar Plums And Fairy Tales

keep dreaming, m8   Grin

Not a bad one though!
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
January 18, 2012, 11:49:24 AM
I'd have to consider putting something like that at the end of a 16x extender cable. Just attach that extender of their's into the expansion board and run the cable to it. You might have a slight clearance issue to consider with extender cable though. But that is easily remedied with either plcing the mobo on a shelf just below this unit with a 'slot' in the shelf for the cable.

I like the pic he has, showing it mining almost 2GH at Deepbit, presumably using this board.

Even better would be:
a) AMD joins the 21st century and makes drives work w/ unlimited GPU not just 8
b) the expansion connector is at the end of the board
c) the expansion boards are stackable

Smiley

1 mother board w/ say 4 PCIe16x slots
4 expansion boards
4 PCIe extension cables
=24 expansion slots of stackable goodness.

Yeah heat does rise but you could insulate the bottom of the boards.   Stack em up say 12" clearance between boards = 3 feet high.
Put a 3 foot box fan in front of the stack and another behind it.  Now attach the MB to one side of the stack and x PSU to the other side of the stack.  

Smiley

Lets see 24x 5970 = ~16GH per rig.

As an alternative to fans you likely could insulate the entire thing and hook it to an AC unit. Smiley Smiley

This thing is interesting but AMD drives kill the usefulness.  I mean building a 3x5970 rig is possible w/o extenders.  Even w/ 5870s getting 4,5, or 6 on a board with extenders is already pretty easy.   Paying $200+ to gain 2 more GPU isn't really worth it.  Just build another rig.
Hooking 48 GPU to a single motherboard.  Well now that is just cool.
Activity: 518
January 18, 2012, 11:42:53 AM

Yeah and that way you can also place the eight GPU on the normal mobo position and have any type of CPU cooler you need !!!

I just hope this is legit because I need several Grin
January 18, 2012, 11:25:38 AM

Activity: 270
Merit: 250
January 18, 2012, 10:04:05 AM
Looks to block the cpu heatsink, but that shouldn't be a problem for mining rigs where the cpu's are mostly idle anyway.
January 18, 2012, 07:18:57 AM
This is the HOLY GRAIL for people like me without access to dual GPUs like 5970 and access to single GPUs like 5870 !

God, I hope somebody gets one here so we can see if this is legit and works properly !

8 single GPUs on a rig + this baby > 4 dual GPUs on a rig

in terms of heat produced and probably price too ( dual GPU is very expensive for some ) !
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
January 18, 2012, 07:14:13 AM
saw this last week, looks awkward. have to be careful with cpu heatsinks, and all of the other PCEI ports are out unless you mess around with extenders. i guess it would be effective to use on a small board with just one PCIE slot.

1400 yuan works out to be about $220 USD, plus $7 for shipping. not exactly cheap.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
January 18, 2012, 07:09:43 AM
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14062839037

I'm very interested in this item, but I have no clue on how to decipher how much it actually costs, or how to even buy one. Maybe someone here can sell one to me?

WOW. Somebody gotta try this mofo out.

This can solve all my problems LOL. Screw the extenders !

How much does it cost ? Can it be trusted ?

We need some Chinese people here to help us translate !

As far as I can see it costs about 150 GBP shipped to the UK which is quite nice but I don't think it will work without many stales or something.

Someone needs to try it out for us if possible.

It's just a fancy powered pci-e extender, I highly doubt stales will even be a factor. It'll be great for those snagging single gpu cards, but those using dual gpu cards likely will just stick to pci-e ribbon cables since most reliable boards have 4 or more pci-e slots.
January 18, 2012, 06:54:40 AM

I'm very interested in this item, but I have no clue on how to decipher how much it actually costs, or how to even buy one. Maybe someone here can sell one to me?

WOW. Somebody gotta try this mofo out.

This can solve all my problems LOL. Screw the extenders !

How much does it cost ? Can it be trusted ?

We need some Chinese people here to help us translate !

As far as I can see it costs about 150 GBP shipped to the UK which is quite nice but I don't think it will work without many stales or something.

Someone needs to try it out for us if possible.

I can already see some problems with the CPU cooler placement ( need to get me a LP one then ) and the board flexing under heavy GPU weight and also problems with the connector to the MB location.

Also why not 8 connectors instead of 7 ? Maybe I can attach the eight board via the standard mobo with extenders ?

Also see that it has 2 onboard PCIe power 6 pin connectors which is VERY nice to supply the power to the PCIe slots ! Screw powered extenders and all that BS.

Get a board like this and you can easily put 8 * 5870s on one mobo with just 1 extender !!!

God, I hope this is real ! I will buy one ASAP if someone tests it and shows us it is geniune. I wonder why the designer guy does not post on here to advertise his product ? Maybe fake ?

I sure hope it is real !!!
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
January 18, 2012, 06:48:35 AM

Pages:
Jump to: