Pages:
Author

Topic: PCI-e Based FPGA Mining Cards - page 2. (Read 5961 times)

Activity: 347
Merit: 100
April 10, 2013, 05:26:43 AM
Looking for group buy Stratix V boards to reduce price.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
April 10, 2013, 04:17:05 AM
I would be interested in this board as well. Let me know if you need help testing, etc.
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!
April 10, 2013, 12:41:24 AM
As for people wanting to buy them, I don't think I want that kind of pressure.  I'm fine opensourceing my board, but I'm a rather lazy guy.

Can't say i blame you on that!
Activity: 182
Merit: 10
April 10, 2013, 12:37:11 AM
Why pci-e? You dont need such fast communication, and the cooling is worse than the stand alone pcbs.

Just to see if I can.  I'm not doing this because I'm trying to make a product or anything, I'm just a bored dev who has a mobo laying around with 6 pci-e x16 slots. Besides, the PCI-e will come in handy if BitSyncom ever gets around to selling ASIC chips.  The board will have to be completely redone, and the cooling situation tackled (I'm thinking closed-loop liquid), but it would be fun.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
April 10, 2013, 12:31:30 AM
I don't see the point.  USB-based FPGA miners already work well.

Putting them on a PCIe card just limits scalability to the number of PCIe slots in the system, and you'll have to fit the whole thing with cooling into a 20mm wide slot (40mm if you're gonna occupy 2 slot widths).

Now if you're going for a board to mine Scrypt, using host memory, well OK...
Activity: 70
April 10, 2013, 12:30:06 AM
Why pci-e? You dont need such fast communication, and the cooling is worse than the stand alone pcbs.
April 10, 2013, 12:15:34 AM
Of course everything is a little bit of a gamble with BTC - but since fpga's seem to still have some value based on the current price (which as we all know is subject to change) it is probably not a bad idea.

I don't think i personally could put one together but the idea has legs - possible if ram could be added it could also be flexible enough to do litecoin..

I know enterpoint had at one point produced a card with a number of spartans on it.. would have to look up the exact amount.. but they dont sell it anymore and it was like 6 grand for like 20 chips.

If you can put 6 - would 8 be just as easy?  

I suspect people would want to buy them if you could produce them.  I wish i had the knowledge to go from schematic to actual board myself..

Anyway - assuming one of the developers could be bribed into creating a driver/bitstream for it - i think there would be interest.

The designs I have now are 2 chips per card (I'm build 3 cards to start).  The designs are based heavily off fpgaminers system.  As for the driver, I'll have that covered, TheSeven gave me a great place to start.  I'm actually a developer who is dabbling in hardware as a hobby.

As for people wanting to buy them, I don't think I want that kind of pressure.  I'm fine opensourceing my board, but I'm a rather lazy guy.
Activity: 388
Merit: 250
Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!
April 10, 2013, 12:10:52 AM
Of course everything is a little bit of a gamble with BTC - but since fpga's seem to still have some value based on the current price (which as we all know is subject to change) it is probably not a bad idea.

I don't think i personally could put one together but the idea has legs - possible if ram could be added it could also be flexible enough to do litecoin..

I know enterpoint had at one point produced a card with a number of spartans on it.. would have to look up the exact amount.. but they dont sell it anymore and it was like 6 grand for like 20 chips.

If you can put 6 - would 8 be just as easy?  

I suspect people would want to buy them if you could produce them.  I wish i had the knowledge to go from schematic to actual board myself..

Anyway - assuming one of the developers could be bribed into creating a driver/bitstream for it - i think there would be interest.
April 10, 2013, 12:08:21 AM
what if free power?

I don't understand.  If your asking about specs, I won't know until the chips come in, but I imagine they will be close to fpgaminers specs, as they used the same chip.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 10, 2013, 12:06:09 AM
what if free power?
April 10, 2013, 12:04:26 AM
I have 6 spartan6x150's in the mail headed my way to do some testing with.  I have the PCI-e board sketched up on KiCad, and am going to contact a PCB manufacture tomorrow about getting a few made. If all goes well, I'll post the board schematics on here for public use.

For those intrested, DigiKey is selling spartan6x150 singles for $158/chip and $170/chip (same chip, just 2 different batches), just search for "XC6SLX150".

My current board design is PCI-e x16, double wide to fit a wide heatsink and fan in.

I'm also in contact with a rep from Achronix, hoping for a low-ish estimate on their HD1000 series of FPGAs (sub $1,500/chip), but I doubt it.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?
Pages:
Jump to: