Pages:
Author

Topic: PCI-E Extenders all bad? Lots of problems. - page 2. (Read 10954 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
September 15, 2011, 01:14:58 PM
It's just a superficial mark of the manufacturer, like the locking tab, which also shouldn't matter.

The only purpose the locking tab has ever served is frustrating the hell out of me when I want to remove just the lower card, and the damn tab is blocked Wink
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000
September 15, 2011, 12:13:25 PM
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that for 16-->16 cables, you want to look for extenders that use three separate ribbon cables. I don't know if there is anything to this, or why it would be the case, but I noticed that yours only use two ribbon cables. Also, it would help to know what motherboards you are using.

The Cablesaurus 16x/16x extenders have three 'split' sections, but there's really only two 'ribbons' if they weren't split (which they don't need to be).  Any extender with only a single ribbon cable is asking for trouble - PCIe connectors have pins on both sides of the connector, so you need two ribbons.

The ribbon cables are also a rather tiny gauge, so using two ribbon cables splits the +12V and +3.3V power among multiple wires.  This keeps the extender from overheating and starting a fire / frying your card.

I was talking about the split sections on each side. I agree they don't need to be split. But people do seem to be reporting more problems with the 16-->16 extenders that don't have three split sections per side. Even for the 1-->1, some extenders are split into two sections per side, and these may be better cables. If there is anything to this, and I'm not claiming there is, it probably has to do with manufacturers. Perhaps the manufacturer(s) that use split cables make a better quality product. It's just a superficial mark of the manufacturer, like the locking tab, which also shouldn't matter.
Activity: 196
September 15, 2011, 11:16:51 AM
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that for 16-->16 cables, you want to look for extenders that use three separate ribbon cables. I don't know if there is anything to this, or why it would be the case, but I noticed that yours only use two ribbon cables. Also, it would help to know what motherboards you are using.

The Cablesaurus 16x/16x extenders have three 'split' sections, but there's really only two 'ribbons' if they weren't split (which they don't need to be).  Any extender with only a single ribbon cable is asking for trouble - PCIe connectors have pins on both sides of the connector, so you need two ribbons.

The ribbon cables are also a rather tiny gauge, so using two ribbon cables splits the +12V and +3.3V power among multiple wires.  This keeps the extender from overheating and starting a fire / frying your card.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000
September 15, 2011, 10:53:45 AM
Did you examine the extenders to make sure that none of the pins are shorted? I got mine from www.9mart.com, and they work fine. But out of 6 I ordered, one had shorted pins, and the replacement they sent me may have the same problem. It's adjacent pins that short due to misaligned or bent pins. IMO, the quality is a little sketchy for the 9mart cables, but if you order a few more than you need, you should be fine. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that for 16-->16 cables, you want to look for extenders that use three separate ribbon cables. I don't know if there is anything to this, or why it would be the case, but I noticed that yours only use two ribbon cables. Also, it would help to know what motherboards you are using.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009
Legen -wait for it- dary
September 14, 2011, 11:43:34 PM
There's no edit anymore!

For the random BSOD/Lockups, try reinstalling your drivers! Remove the old ones first with driver sweeper or ccleaner! If you're OCing your cards, drop it back 5-10MHz and see if that helps!

Oh, and, close the Goxlive tab, it really draws on resources! Wink
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009
Legen -wait for it- dary
September 14, 2011, 11:37:34 PM
If none of that helps, this might!

Look for "Shorting Pins for Presence Detection"! A little less than ¼ the way down!
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
September 14, 2011, 10:36:41 PM
I got two 16-16 from 9mart and they both appear to work fine for a couple hundred shares, but just hardlocks linuxcoin. Even with just 1 card installed, not overclocked, and different cards do it.

Showing the lotes, the other had a winning connector on it.

http://imgur.com/a/Y0cL4
Activity: 120
August 26, 2011, 12:13:35 PM
Not that it helps you with the ones you already ordered, but these are very reliable.  I have bout 10 of them with no issue.  https://cablesaurus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=8

Just need to do some physical modification to make them work.
Activity: 392
August 26, 2011, 11:43:43 AM
Hi there,

Setup:
3 machines, all with 4x 5830.

Recently i've build custom wood cases for my motherboards/videocards to keep them cool.
I've ordered these extensions cables: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/250865690511?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Since then LOTS of problems;
- On one system I can get a maximum of 2 cards to work.
- On two systems i can get a maximum of 3 cards to work, both systems dont work with cards on slot 3 and 5.
- Random BSOD's, shutdowns and application not responding on all systems.

Any help? Thankyou.

I had the same problems, I cleaned the contacts of the extensor and connected and disconnected several times, and until get it stable.

Try to do the same, maybe this can help you.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
It's all about the game, and how you play it
August 26, 2011, 11:18:27 AM
Please take a picture of the cables your actually received
Activity: 332
Merit: 250
August 26, 2011, 11:13:58 AM
they look a bit different than the good ones from cablesaurus, in that they have a locking tab on the female connector and the blue tape is folded down on the sides below the female connector.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
August 20, 2011, 11:51:35 AM
Hi there,

Setup:
3 machines, all with 4x 5830.

Recently i've build custom wood cases for my motherboards/videocards to keep them cool.
I've ordered these extensions cables: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/250865690511?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Since then LOTS of problems;
- On one system I can get a maximum of 2 cards to work.
- On two systems i can get a maximum of 3 cards to work, both systems dont work with cards on slot 3 and 5.
- Random BSOD's, shutdowns and application not responding on all systems.

Any help? Thankyou.
Pages:
Jump to: