Pages:
Author

Topic: Personal data of 300K users, provided at BTC ATMs, allegedly in hacker's hands - page 2. (Read 208 times)

legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
This is yet another reason to reject KYC. It's also crazy SSN of the customers got leaked since AFAIK it's very important data for those who live in US.

If we take into account that ATMs are usually the most expensive way of selling/buying cryptocurrencies, I wonder why all these users agreed to such KYC and did not use some CEX where they should still do KYC, but the fees would be many times less?

In addition, CEX usually have better exchange rate. Anyway, i would guess the reason probably similar why people use ATM rather than mobile/internet banking, familiarity with or strong preferences towards ATM.

Also, considering that the company behind everything went bankrupt, is it possible that they (or one of their employees) actually sold that database?

That seems possible, but i think it's also possible the employee don't bother dispose the server securely.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 106
The context is that of users of Coin Cloud Bitcoin ATM users in USA and Brazil. Though the company file for bankruptcy in February 2023, and I believe that all their Bitcoin ATM network is now non-operational, somewhere along the line hackers claim to have managed to make away with a bunch of very concerning personal data for something like 300.000 customers, alongside some 70.000 selfies provided at the ATMs themselves. The hackers are sharing their claims in private channels.

Specifically, the stolen information seems to be:
<…>  Social Security Number, Date of Birth, First Name, Last Name, e-mail address, Telephone Number, Current Occupation, Physical Address, and more. <…>

Once more, KYC sensible data has been (potentially) filtered at a very dangerous level, including information of user’s home addresses and complete names. Though not mentioned, one wonders if linked addresses and/or TXs may also form part of the breach, which would only worsen the situation by providing some tenancy information on top of the above (this is my speculation, not information cited in the below referenced sources).

See:
https://cointelegraph.com/news/coin-cloud-data-hack-united-states-brazil
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1723749038057574425

This data can be misused in many ways. Strong measures must be taken to stop such leaks in future.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
This looks like a leak of the Ledger database, only with the difference that the images of ATMs users are also included here. If we take into account that ATMs are usually the most expensive way of selling/buying cryptocurrencies, I wonder why all these users agreed to such KYC and did not use some CEX where they should still do KYC, but the fees would be many times less?

Also, considering that the company behind everything went bankrupt, is it possible that they (or one of their employees) actually sold that database?
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
The context is that of users of Coin Cloud Bitcoin ATM users in USA and Brazil. Though the company file for bankruptcy in February 2023, and I believe that all their Bitcoin ATM network is now non-operational, somewhere along the line hackers claim to have managed to make away with a bunch of very concerning personal data for something like 300.000 customers, alongside some 70.000 selfies provided at the ATMs themselves. The hackers are sharing their claims in private channels.

Specifically, the stolen information seems to be:
<…>  Social Security Number, Date of Birth, First Name, Last Name, e-mail address, Telephone Number, Current Occupation, Physical Address, and more. <…>

Once more, KYC sensible data has been (potentially) filtered at a very dangerous level, including information of user’s home addresses and complete names. Though not mentioned, one wonders if linked addresses and/or TXs may also form part of the breach, which would only worsen the situation by providing some tenancy information on top of the above (this is my speculation, not information cited in the below referenced sources).

See:
https://cointelegraph.com/news/coin-cloud-data-hack-united-states-brazil
https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1723749038057574425
Pages:
Jump to: