Pages:
Author

Topic: Phishing Attempts to be aware of - page 2. (Read 4234 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
August 22, 2014, 07:28:19 PM
got that too funny stuff
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Get ready for PrimeDice Sig Campaign!
August 22, 2014, 07:18:18 PM
Always keep an antivirus (I use avg) on a PC holding or transferring bitcoins. If you lose your bitcoins, your loss, whereas with a bank they usually refund any fraudulent transactions. ESPECIALLY if you are actually holding the bitcoin wallet on your harddrive, like bitcoin-qt. Never open any suspicious emails, and use common sense.
Activity: 28
August 22, 2014, 04:15:14 PM
the best is that you run as well some registry cleaner to be sure !
Activity: 32
August 22, 2014, 04:03:39 PM
hey guys, yesterday i clicked that jar file ( yes I am an Idiot). Good thing I have last line of defenses (2-Factor Authentication, encryption) on every coins related programs and websites. I deleted the file right away, but I am still worried something hidden program is still there on my pc. could you guys please help me how to scan and remove it? i ran anti-virus programs like malware bytes and AVG and they showed that file is "clean".  I am confused now. please help.
Activity: 476
Merit: 501
August 22, 2014, 03:59:46 AM
Wouldn't it be easy for someone to figure out who owned that url and charge him with conspiracy to hacking and stealing?

Not that easy if the server is hosted abroad. It is hard make some countries cooperate with your justice.

Plus I guess the url was registered using fake data
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
August 22, 2014, 03:01:58 AM
Please post any phishing scams that you have seen related to bitcoin. I first started this thread to notify people of a blockchain.info phishing attempt, and the original post is below, and after other people started posting other phishing emails I decided to move it to beginners and help to help others to not fall victim to these scams. Always be careful, general tips are to check the original email sender, and whenever you click a link, check the URL at the top. Usually people say to check if there is a green lock, but I hate this rule. Anyone can buy a green lock for about 2$, so you have to click on the green look and make sure it is the website you are looking for.

That is a good idea.
For those interested, you can also check https://blog.blockchain.com/security-alerts/ to find some more historical examples of phishing attempts. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 910
August 22, 2014, 02:56:33 AM
Really ? blockchain.info is scam ? or blockchain.imfo ??
I need to careful about it .

blockchain.info is the legit one.
You should bookmark the site, and never use a seemingly correct link you find in email to log in your account.
August 22, 2014, 12:35:27 AM
Guys do you want to make an official phishing topic, to notify others? I can move this (I don't know what is a good subcategory for this).

I think this thread should go to Beginners & Help section since there too many newbies unaware (or even dont know) about this stuff.
Allright I think I will move it there and rename it something like "active phishing attempts" or something.
Activity: 322
Merit: 252
Here I Am !!
August 21, 2014, 07:04:27 PM
Guys do you want to make an official phishing topic, to notify others? I can move this (I don't know what is a good subcategory for this).

I think this thread should go to Beginners & Help section since there too many newbies unaware (or even dont know) about this stuff.
August 21, 2014, 02:12:34 PM
Activity: 686
August 21, 2014, 01:21:59 PM
(I'm posting about the invoice jars in this thread because it's the only thread on bitcointalk that mentions it)

It's not just cloudhashing.com, it seems as though somebody got into the mailing servers (or at least spoofed them, but it looks legit) of various large/largish bitcoin websites, i got one from btc-e.

I got an email from both btc-e.com and cloudhashing.com with this invoice_772.jar

Actually, cloudhashing.com was invoice_773.jar

BTC-E:

Cloudhashing:

If somebody would like me to upload these jars somewhere so you can take a look at them, PM me and I'll send you a link.
Activity: 38
August 21, 2014, 04:31:12 AM
Someone get the registrar and report this. This should be stopped, many people will lose btc.
I've reported to the registrar(123-reg.co.uk) but they refer me to the actual host, that is webfusion.com. Now I'm still waiting for reply. Feel free to spam them at [email protected] Tongue
August 21, 2014, 01:52:53 AM
Also guys a tip for the future, always be careful of the capital I in emails and links, it looks the exact same as a lowercase L and is almost impossible to spot if you don't check it.
Activity: 374
Merit: 250
August 20, 2014, 07:16:08 PM
This is really much too common. You should always use common sense when clicking on links, regardless if you are involved in bitcoin or not.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
Your average Bitcoin/Ethereum enthusiast
August 20, 2014, 04:55:20 PM
These people are cold as ice to scam in the name of such a backbone bitcoin website.
Activity: 702
August 20, 2014, 04:47:41 PM
In the past week I've gotten identical "Invoice Payment Confirmation" emails from "Cloudhashing" and "Cointerra".

No text in the email -- just an attachment with a file called "invoice_772.jar"

Seems a phishing attempt too.

I too received fake invoice .JAR files from those two companies, but im a customer of both of those companies.  Are you ALSO a customer of those companies as well?  Or are they just random 'bitcoin related' companies being used to spoof the emails to try and get you to click the .jar files.

its annoying that my antivirus didnt pickup a threat in the .JAR file when there clearly is.  No doubt its something to assist in extracting bitcoins or private keys or something.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008
August 20, 2014, 02:14:49 PM
Easy way to prevent phishing attacks like this is to hide your email address on your bitcointalk.org profile guy's
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
August 20, 2014, 02:12:01 PM
I always double triple quadruple check. Paranoia crew.
legendary
Activity: 1050
August 20, 2014, 01:50:55 PM
I also got this,  I posted a thread about it in the trading discussion board.
Activity: 2
August 20, 2014, 01:45:09 PM
Really ? blockchain.info is scam ? or blockchain.imfo ??
I need to careful about it .
Pages:
Jump to: