Pages:
Author

Topic: Physical bitcoins can get stolen... - page 2. (Read 8353 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
November 19, 2011, 12:39:16 AM
But not by hackers!

Someone reported the first theft of four physical bitcoins in a recent burglary.

Quote from: a_buyer_of_physical_bitcoins_in_Canada

Oh I forgot to mention out of the first batch of coins I purchased I had given a few away, 4 of them had been physically stolen in a burglary, the guys had been later caught and some of the items recovered, jewelry etc,, but no bitcoins not sure if they got spent/sold or what Smiley

I find it novel to point out that this is about the only way physical bitcoins can be stolen... same as cash.

The four physical bitcoins are active and legitimate, so nobody needs to worry about their own coins being at risk.

Not really, casascius could theoretically have the private keys. Never trust that he doesn't because there's no good reason to - only use your own generated addresses, print them out on paper if you please.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015
November 19, 2011, 12:04:27 AM
I feel bad for the person who got robbed, but must be nice to have someone wanting to steal our Bitcoins Smiley.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Coinabul - Gold Unbarred
November 18, 2011, 09:30:04 PM
And so the Blackmarket for Casascius coins begins Wink
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1140
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
November 18, 2011, 01:54:41 PM
But not by hackers!

Someone reported the first theft of four physical bitcoins in a recent burglary.

Quote from: a_buyer_of_physical_bitcoins_in_Canada

Oh I forgot to mention out of the first batch of coins I purchased I had given a few away, 4 of them had been physically stolen in a burglary, the guys had been later caught and some of the items recovered, jewelry etc,, but no bitcoins not sure if they got spent/sold or what Smiley

I find it novel to point out that this is about the only way physical bitcoins can be stolen... same as cash.

The four physical bitcoins are active and legitimate, so nobody needs to worry about their own coins being at risk.
Pages:
Jump to: