Pages:
Author

Topic: [pics inside] custom built 8-card rack - page 4. (Read 11791 times)

legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
August 03, 2011, 09:34:18 PM
That still doesn't answer what your doing with the 8th card lol Tongue
oh i guess you missed the edit while we both were typing. just to clarify, the MSI big-bang X58 is different than the MSI big bang Marshal:

MSI big bang X58: 7 pci-e slots, socket 1366, i'll be using this in the build
MSI big bang marshal: 8 pci-e slots, socket 1155, i dont have this board
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
August 03, 2011, 09:31:18 PM
like the man said: for future.  the 8 cards in the pic are to show how it would look like with 8 cards. that's all.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
August 03, 2011, 09:27:39 PM
only 6 slots on mobo. How you plan to use 8 cards?
lol it actually has 7 slots: 6 pci-e x16 and 1 pci-e x1 on the very top. i think you were just basing what you said on my pics, which is hard to see that top black pci-e x1 slot. here's the newegg link for specs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289
That still doesn't answer what your doing with the 8th card lol Tongue
legendary
August 03, 2011, 09:22:11 PM
lol it actually has 7 slots: 6 pci-e x16 and 1 pci-e x1 on the very top. i think you were just basing what you said on my pics, which is hard to see that top black pci-e x1 slot. here's the newegg link for specs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289

i mentioned in my first post that i'll be using 7 cards, not 8. the 7 cards will be on the top, but i just noted that the 8th slot is on the bottom next to the PSU in case i'll ever want to upgrade the mobo to something with 8 slot pci-e
donator
August 03, 2011, 09:12:09 PM

Since this is a super duper special mobo, it's got new technology on on called AMD AeroTesla which is able to establish a wireless connection to Radeon 5xxx series cards.

How? search the forums for pcie extender cables.
Activity: 184
Merit: 13
August 03, 2011, 09:04:03 PM
donator
August 03, 2011, 08:11:41 PM
Sweet!!!
legendary
August 03, 2011, 07:43:53 PM
i started on the small DIY project about 2 weeks ago with the assumption that it would take 6 hours max. it shouldn't take too long right? all you have to do chop up some bars and piece them together. boy was i wrong... i've spent nearly 18 hours on it and not yet fully finished. it's a pretty straight forward process, but just very time consuming. i only used very simple tools, nothing complicated:

• dremel (with cutting disc, and drill bit)
  • rivet gun (with rivets)
  • ruler
  • pen
  • screws with washer and nut
  • 2x 8' aluminum L-bars

i'll be using a MSI bing bang x58 motherboard, which has 7 pci-e slots. i built this rack to fit 7 GPU on top with a full slot space in between each card for breathing room. there's also 1 additional space for a 8th GPU on the bottom, next to the PSU. there's only 2-3 motherboards with 8 pci-e slots (including the MSI big bang marshal), so most likely i'll never use these motherboards, but i just made that 8th slot in case i'll ever need it.

it's not completely done, but i'll snap a few pics of what it looks:

empty frames

this is going to be a double PSU rack, but i have not drilled holes for the screws yet. it's just soft mounted right now.

mounted the motherboard

a closer shot, you can see i used a long screw with washer and nut to use as the motherboard standoffs. after the motherboard is mounted, i could add another optional nut on the very top to secure it, but i didn't think this was necessary. the screw is long enough, the motherboard won't be popping out.

2 GPU's mounted

these next few pics is just for lulz. the GPU's in here are NOT going to be used in this exact setup.

7 GPU's test-mounted on top

this shows 8 GPU's total, 7 on top and 1 on the bottom next to the PSU

closeup of the one on the bottom

a shot from the back

more updates to come when i have time, the rack isn't finished yet....
Pages:
Jump to: