Pages:
Author

Topic: Please Help - page 2. (Read 2498 times)

mjr
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
January 04, 2012, 06:30:34 PM
Also gonna put a couple of FPGA's to work (hopefully)...
mjr
January 04, 2012, 05:57:59 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Really appreciate it guys.

Yes, electricity is "free", so I am not worried about any net gain. Mostly PoC, but did not realize it was that horrible.

Maybe I forgot to mention, I do not plan on mining in a pool...I was planning on getting a few cards to just chug away, and hopefully stumble on a block a month or so...

I will try the web based one, and I will post some screen shots soon.

P.S. In MY computer, I have two video cards, both ATI...HD2400 and HD3400...are those any better?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
January 04, 2012, 03:11:14 PM
Can you post a printscreen of GPU-z?
Also, Im not sure if GUIminer uses CUDA; most miners use OpenCL, but that ought to be part of the nvidia drivers (I think?). As a quick test, try the miner in my signature (its java webbased), see if that works.

That said; agreed with the above poster that its probably just a wasted effort; if you like to get some bitcoins without paying for them, you might be better off mining lightcoins and trading them for bitcoins, even if a Pentium 4 isnt going to make you litecoin-rich either.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
January 04, 2012, 02:54:33 PM
truthfully in looking up the capabilities of that card, (based on the hash performance of a NVS 295 which is only 1.7 MHash/s) the NVS 420 has similar build but with twice the CUDA cores so im guestimating a 200% the hash rate which is 4 for round numbers...  that would roughly net you slightly less than 2 cents per day, and the 40w power to run the card alone costs 11 cents a day (at 0.10/KW) it is a paperweight mining wise.

now this is all conjecture based on quite a few assumtions on my part but i think anyway you hash it this card will cost more than it makes unless you get free lectricity, and can wait a month per cup of coffee.  hope I helped Smiley

NVS card specs
Mining Hardware Capability
My calculator spreadsheet
mjr
January 04, 2012, 02:26:41 PM
Before I begin:

I work as a systems engineer, and I have been reading about bitcoins a lot. Therefore, I do not need anyone to tell me that an NVIDIA card is not as good as ATI/AMD. I happen to have an NVIDIA card available, so I'd rather get something out of a piece of hardware I already own, instead of trying to invest in something new.

That out of the way,

I have an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420...I have installed it on a fresh Windows 7 x64 system. That system is nothing special, just a pentium 4 with hyperthreading (2 simulated cores total) and 3 GB of RAM.

I have tried installing the latest drivers, the developer drivers, CUDA 3.1 AND 4.0 etc. I cannot get GPU CAPS Viewer OR GUIMINER to recognize the card. (GPU CAPS viewer sees the card but doesn't recognize it as a CUDA device).

I just want to know if there is something basic I am missing here.

I can see the card in the device manager, I know it is installed and "working". I just can't get it to be recognized as a CUDA device.

Please Help!
Pages:
Jump to: