Pages:
Author

Topic: Please help test: version 0.5 release candidate 1 - page 2. (Read 5988 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
Corrupting how? Did they install 0.5 and then downgrade (is it a backwards-compatibility issue)?
Did it get corrupted when they encrypted?
Anything interesting in their debug.log?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
FWIW, I am seeing reports (both my Windows binaries and also people building their own Ubuntu binaries) of 0.5.0rc1 corrupting wallets (both old and newly-made)!
Activity: 576
Merit: 514
Not sure what trouble BlueMatt et al are having, but I managed to build some Windows binaries. No guarantees, backup your wallet, etc...

Also, note that these aren't technically 0.5.0rc1, because I built with the very minor makefile changes made afterward (commits a1e0bb5a and e44a00ae) as well as having to hack up the build files more to make it work with my mingw setup (Gentoo crossdev i686-pc-mingw w/ GCC 4.4).

I didn't bother to build with UPnP support either cuz I was too lazy to cross-compile miniupnp (and I just needed the signmessage functionality).

I've tested the two QT binaries on Win2k. They start perfectly fine Smiley
I used my real wallet.dat only with the network disabled (no offense at all, but I'll only use it with an official release). Seems there are no issues so far.
Thumbs up from me.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Everything seems to work well except than when I have "Minimize to the tray instead of the taskbar" enabled clicking on the close button doesn't do anything.
Activity: 139
Merit: 100
Built on Mac OS X 10.7.2

Code:
bitcoind/src/bitcoind: Mach-O executable i386

http://www.mediafire.com/?k690nwp8n661p7h
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Not sure what trouble BlueMatt et al are having, but I managed to build some Windows binaries. No guarantees, backup your wallet, etc...

Also, note that these aren't technically 0.5.0rc1, because I built with the very minor makefile changes made afterward (commits a1e0bb5a and e44a00ae) as well as having to hack up the build files more to make it work with my mingw setup (Gentoo crossdev i686-pc-mingw w/ GCC 4.4).

I didn't bother to build with UPnP support either cuz I was too lazy to cross-compile miniupnp (and I just needed the signmessage functionality).

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Ron Gross
I just tagged the git tree "v0.5.0rc1". If you are able, please compile and help test.

See the INSTALL file at the top of the source tree for instructions on compiling. Binary releases for at least unix and mac should be available in the next day or two (there is a show-stopper bug on Windows, and we could use help from people familiar with cross-compiling using mingw to update the Windows build process).

Major bugs you should be aware of:

Wallet does not relock on Win32

Major changes from version 0.4:

Good work!

Could you post/link to a list of major features? I know there are more than what you just wrote above.
E.g. (assuming LiteCoin client = Bitcoin Client), the client I just downloaded a few days ago has an awesome progress bar to show how much time is needed to download the full blockchain. I can also see some more data on the blocks I mined, like when they're expected to be available in my balance. Is there anything more? (Or perhaps this was just a feature of 0.4 that I missed? I skipped that version)

Also - I found something that looks like a bug with the LiteCoin version I downloaded, and I suspect it originates from Bitcoin and was not introduced in LiteCoin. I described it here:

1. I mined my first two blocks.
2. Tried to transfer 10 LTC to my own address.
3. Failed because of not enough confirmation "Mined balanced will be available in 118 blocks"
4. Now, the bug: I see 3 as Number of Transactions in the overview tab, but I actually have only the 2 solved blocks.
5. This persisted even after a restart of the client ...
6. Another restart - now I see 4 as Number of Transactions, still only 2 actual transactions.

Where did the 3rd transaction come from? Is it a Bitcoin or LiteCoin bug? Should I report this on Bitcoin github?
Activity: 77
Merit: 11
Twitter:@watersNYC
I am having trouble building in windows, see https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/581

On top of the winx64 build issue -
One of my long-term goals would be to have Jenkins churn out stand-alone bitcoin.exe - they wouldn't need any dependencies and work in windows x86 and x64. (Similar to the win32-setup.exe at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.4.0/). I believe if we make this process really automated and fluid, more people will be able to test faster.

Matt has been very helpful with getting Jenkins to pull from my testing repo, and the builds are working well in Ubuntu. QT is much faster in my limited testing, and just feels better overall. Kudos to Wladimir and the others who contributed.

legendary
Chief Scientist
Thanks for all your hard work! But does this being a release candidate mean that multi-sigs/receiver-scripts won't be available on testnet until 0.6 or later?

Hmm?  testnet accepts non-standard transactions today (I've been doing some experiments with multi-sig transactions on the testnet).
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
Thanks for all your hard work! But does this being a release candidate mean that multi-sigs/receiver-scripts won't be available on testnet until 0.6 or later?
legendary
Chief Scientist
I just tagged the git tree "v0.5.0rc1". If you are able, please compile and help test.

See the INSTALL file at the top of the source tree for instructions on compiling. Binary releases for at least unix and mac should be available in the next day or two (there is a show-stopper bug on Windows, and we could use help from people familiar with cross-compiling using mingw to update the Windows build process).

Major bugs you should be aware of:

Wallet does not relock on Win32

Major changes from version 0.4:

Switched from wxWidgets for the GUI to Qt, using Wladimir J. van der Laan's bitcoin-qt. Why? We didn't have any wxWidgets programmers contributing fixes or improvements.

New JSON-RPC commands:

getmemorypool : alternative to 'getwork' that provides everything needed to construct a block with a custom generation transaction.
listsinceblock : Get all transactions in blocks since block [blockid]
signmessage/verifymessage : sign/verify a message with a wallet public/private keypair

Deprecated JSON-RPC features:
'midstate' data item from getwork requests

Deprecated JSON-RPC commands that have been REMOVED:
setlabel
getlabel
getaddressesbylabel
getamountreceived
getallreceived
getreceivedbylabel
listreceivedbylabel

Run: git shortlog --no-merges v0.4.0..
... to get a complete list of changes, and thanks to everybody who is contributing!

Pages:
Jump to: