Pages:
Author

Topic: Point to mining with 500khash/s ? Does it help or hurt the network? - page 2. (Read 4631 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 256
I does help the network, but whether it's worthwhile is up to you.  As far as efficiency, a laptop cpu is going to be terrible.

It definitely doesn't help, until they find a block, given the difficulty that is nearly impossible.

It does help, simply because they could find a block.  Like raindrops form a river, every little contribution strengthens the blockchain a little.  If we look at it like you are, then we should stop all this other wasteful searching and just look in the last place we would have!

Not at all. Yes, it COULD help, but given how bleak the likelihood of them finding a block is within a reasonable amount of time for the power expended, it approaches minimal usefulness, and is essentially zero. It's far better to avoid wasting the energy to begin with, and to avoid the wear on the poor CPU.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010
It hurts because it can potentially increase difficulty for miners that are mining much more efficiently. If a lot of people do this, efficient miners may be pushed out of the market.

Are you serious?  More efficient miners are going to be pushed out of the market by a few guys running miners on old laptops at a loss?

Honestly, Theymos; do you make up b.s. for fun?
legendary
I does help the network, but whether it's worthwhile is up to you.  As far as efficiency, a laptop cpu is going to be terrible.

It definitely doesn't help, until they find a block, given the difficulty that is nearly impossible.

It does help, simply because they could find a block.  Like raindrops form a river, every little contribution strengthens the blockchain a little.  If we look at it like you are, then we should stop all this other wasteful searching and just look in the last place we would have!

administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
It hurts because it can potentially increase difficulty for miners that are mining much more efficiently. If a lot of people do this, efficient miners may be pushed out of the market.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
You will gain 2.2 btc by year, in a pool (and less with difficulty increase). It helps the network a bit, but this is not significant for now, because an equivalent to the total hashing power can be obtained with botnet or amazon services for example.
legendary
If you find a block, congrats, you strengthened the network!

Until you do (which is incredibly unlikely), you are just wasting electricity.

I'd stop generating  just because you're wasting electricity, and that's not good for the environment.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Anyway, I've got about 500khash/s on my little old laptop. I realise that the chances of me finding a block are probably basically zero. The question is, does it help or hurt the network having me generate? Or is it pointless?

I don't mind, the 'lectricity is free for me. (Not interested in getting another computer, or anything, I'm only staying here a couple more months at the most.)
Pages:
Jump to: