Pages:
Author

Topic: police pay ransom in btc - page 2. (Read 1656 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
February 24, 2015, 07:32:56 PM
The American police forces are paying a ransom? Is this from a comic book?

There could be several cases where paying a ransom would be better option, and altho its by my understanding the policy of state not to deal with threats like that, if they had important files
which would lead to much more financial damage, its only logical to do lesser harm and pay them.
It would be interesting to know how the computer got infected in the first place, i doubt it got infected on a officialy related usage, if u know what i mean.

cheers
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
February 24, 2015, 07:16:08 PM
The American police forces are paying a ransom? Is this from a comic book?
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
February 24, 2015, 07:00:34 PM
I can't believe this story to be true. These things usually turn out to be untrue but this one seems to be legitimate. Hopefully this type of behavior does not happen in the future.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪
February 24, 2015, 06:07:03 PM
Bitcoin is ideal tool for ransoms.
I heard about criminals sending (paper) letters full of threats to shop owners requesting some ransoms in BTC.
Anyway, these disk encrypting malware is terryfying, I heard about some Romanian guy who commited suicide because his computer got infected with this sh*t  Angry

Wait, what? Have they paid ransom with tax payers money?

The department felt it had no option but to pay up. Records show the department paid $606 in a money order, which included bank fees and surcharges, to a New York Bitcoin cafe.

I ain't no lawyer, but pretty sure that's not quite legal what they did.

They had no other way if disk was encrypted... unless it was older version of the virus which had bug in implementation of encryption algorithm that allowed to unlock locked computer quite easily.
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561
February 24, 2015, 05:45:01 PM

Wait, what? Have they paid ransom with tax payers money?

The department felt it had no option but to pay up. Records show the department paid $606 in a money order, which included bank fees and surcharges, to a New York Bitcoin cafe.

I ain't no lawyer, but pretty sure that's not quite legal what they did.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
February 24, 2015, 05:27:37 PM
Pages:
Jump to: