Pages:
Author

Topic: [POLL 1/3] Bitcoin: URI refactor? Low-level vs high-level - page 2. (Read 3889 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Why does anyone think low level is a good idea? you're going to spend  all your time having to add 'redundant' zeros. I guess this is discussed at length elsewhere...
Not sure, every discussion I've ever seen on the topic came to the conclusion that high-level is better.

For small amounts (like will most likely be used in the future if Bitcoin becomes widely adopted), it's perhaps easier to use the low level format. What's easier to write and think about, 0.000001 Bitcoins or 1000 Satoshis/base units?

In general, high level is better for numbers intended for human use, whereas I think low level is better for numbers intended for computer use. A URI is kind of a mix between the two, as a human creates the link, a human clicks on it, but a computer parses the data.
Activity: 755
Merit: 515
Why does anyone think low level is a good idea? you're going to spend  all your time having to add 'redundant' zeros. I guess this is discussed at length elsewhere...
Not sure, every discussion I've ever seen on the topic came to the conclusion that high-level is better.
Activity: 98
Merit: 13

Computer geeks think like computer geeks, I suppose Smiley

I strongly urge the adoption of human-friendly conventions of which everyone is already familiar:  50.00 BTC, 0.01 BTC, etc.  These are already in wide use on websites and in software, both bitcoin and non-bitcoin (such as paypal's API).

Merit: 252
Firstbits: 1duzy
Activity: 755
Merit: 515
I don't understand the poll question.
Particularly the high level unit examples.

is the '=' sign being used inappropriately?
The question is how should things be represented in bitcoin: URIs.  Should people have to write
bitcoin:address?amount=100000000 for 1 BTC (Low-level) or
bitcoin:address?amount=1 for 1 BTC (High-Level)
Merit: 252
Firstbits: 1duzy
Should Bitcoin: URIs use low-level or high-level units?

Low-level unit examples (favours software):
  • 100000000 = 1 BTC = 55.1 TBC
  • 268435456 = 2.68435456 BTC = 1 ᵐTBC
  • 100000 = 1 mBTC = 1.869 TBC
  • 65536 = 0.00065536 BTC = 1 TBC

High-level unit examples (favours humans):
  • 1 = 1 BTC = 55.1 TBC
  • x1000 = 2.68435456 BTC = 1 ᵐTBC
  • 0.001 = 1 mBTC = 1.869 TBC
  • x1 = 0.00065536 BTC = 1 TBC

I don't understand the poll question.
Particularly the high level unit examples.

is the '=' sign being used inappropriately?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
In fact, I just went through every possible encoding scheme for this page - none of them show actual characters in place of the squares.
More likely a font problem than encoding.
Activity: 406
Merit: 256
In fact, I just went through every possible encoding scheme for this page - none of them show actual characters in place of the squares.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I see squares too.
Activity: 406
Merit: 256
Now you see, this is an unbiased poll Wink

Low level, because then any interface made by community members can convert to whatever other unit rather easily.

As a side note, decimal over tonal, because most people know decimal and likely it will be around longer than this tonal business (yes yes, I know you hope that changes). If by some miracle tonal becomes prominent, the code can always be changed later, but in 20 years people aren't going to want to lookup tonal to decimal conversions and deal with odd characters (your post displays several square "missing character" symbols for me in Opera 11.10 (which is odd, this only recently started happening).
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Should Bitcoin: URIs use low-level or high-level units?

If you want to request/bill for 1 BTC, you (or your shopping cart) would write:
  • Low-level: bitcoin:youraddress?amount=100000000
  • High-level: bitcoin:youraddress?amount=1

If you want to request/bill for 1 mBTC (milli-BTC), you (or your shopping cart) would write:
  • Low-level: bitcoin:youraddress?amount=100000
  • High-level: bitcoin:youraddress?amount=0.001

If you want to request/bill for 1 TBC (TonalBitcoin), you (or your shopping cart) would write:
  • Low-level: bitcoin:youraddress?amount=65536
  • High-level (without hexadecimal support): bitcoin:youraddress?amount=0.00065536
  • High-level (with hexadecimal support): bitcoin:youraddress?amount=x1

If you want to request/bill for 1 ᵐTBC (mill-TonalBitcoin), you (or your shopping cart) would write:
  • Low-level: bitcoin:youraddress?amount=268435456
  • High-level (without hexadecimal support): bitcoin:youraddress?amount=2.68435456
  • High-level (with hexadecimal support): bitcoin:youraddress?amount=x1000
Pages:
Jump to: