Pages:
Author

Topic: [POLL] Do you have a college degree? - page 3. (Read 1624 times)

legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
December 16, 2012, 05:47:29 AM
Just wondering personally. Also if you like comment on whether you think having or not having a degree has helped or hurt you, international opinions would be interesting too. What say the Bitcoin forums? If you think there should be other options I guess just say.

Having a degree has certainly helped me as a software engineer, though some can get by without one. In my opinion, there are two questions to answer: why do you want to get a degree, and how much you are willing to pay for one. Someone that goes $80k into debt to get a degree in English Literature hasn't thought  about it. Some people get a degree just for the achievement, or the satisfaction or for the education. That's fine as long as you have at considered the cost.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
December 16, 2012, 05:30:23 AM
I dunno what to call my thing but all I got was an A Level Diploma in games design, no university degree ( Yes I know what you're all probably going to say ) and I promise you it has done absolutely fuck all for my future prospects and it certainly didn't help in helping me get a job in the games industry because developers know it's a load of bullshit. Currently I'm learning how to make proper Jewellery from just a sheet of metal and to draw and that's massively increased my prospects of actually selling something tangible that people want which is far better than a job because I don't have to rely on anyone to do that.

If you do go for a degree or something like it the only advice I can offer you since I avoid the whole system now is that you should go for something real that lets you produce something, don't go for these crappy history degrees and things like that because while they may teach 'things' they won't get you a job and that's details that the people trying to get you onto these places will conveniently leave out. Pick a market, pick a specific job, maybe even do research into getting exactly what you need and work around that, don't fall for all the bullshit pie in the sky lying that got me into the mess I'm in now, I'm only just managing to repair the damage done to my education and it's because I worked my arse off.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227
Away on an extended break
December 16, 2012, 12:54:17 AM
I'm going on course for one next year. Still deciding between which type of degree though.
See my past thread about this: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/deciding-between-a-liberal-arts-education-and-a-regular-education-129183
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
|Argus| Accounting and Auditing on the Blockchain
December 15, 2012, 11:49:29 PM
Just wondering personally. Also if you like comment on whether you think having or not having a degree has helped or hurt you, international opinions would be interesting too. What say the Bitcoin forums? If you think there should be other options I guess just say.
Pages:
Jump to: