Pages:
Author

Topic: [poll] Estimate how many took noticeable losses - page 2. (Read 2165 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
I didn't sell or trade,just holding...If 75-80 is considered a low and more than twice the 2011 high I think it is obvious we're we are going.It makes me wonder if this is the new 5-8 pricing.  Tongue
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Speaking from personal experience ..  I lost not a single BTC during the past couple days.   I even just double checked both my cold storage and hot wallets..  they're all still there.

Sigg

If everyone behaved like this we'd be in the "less than 5000" category :-)
Activity: 20
The current price was an all time high just a month ago.  Anyone who bought in over that month and especially the last 2 weeks will be feeling very sore but I doubt there are that many who did compared to the whole bitcoin community that has been growing steadily for more than 4 years.  They were mostly newbies too I think.  

We will suffer some bad PR for sometime though regardless of how many actually lost their shirt.
I don't think anyone really knows how many people took losses.. This poll is not going to help us with that.

But is there not plenty of indicators we could use to get a hunch?

1: We should know the speed of the mtgox queue processing.
- only ~3k processed since yesterday, altho its been a strange day

2: mtgox claims: "We now have roughly 20,000 new accounts created each day."
- I guess this last datapoint relates to the three or so days running up to the crash.

3: We should know the average time delay for transffering funds from fiat to placing bids on mtgox. (3 days?)

4: mtgox claims: "The number of new account opened went from 60k for March alone to 75k new account created for the first few days of April!"

5: mtgox sits on 80% of the market.
- We can ignore the remaining 20% for this particular estimate.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
I last sold at $18, so I took no losses. Tongue
Activity: 381
Merit: 250
Speaking from personal experience ..  I lost not a single BTC during the past couple days.   I even just double checked both my cold storage and hot wallets..  they're all still there.

Sigg
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
I don't think anyone really knows how many people took losses.. This poll is not going to help us with that.

+1 no one really knows anything.

we all have the same information data, charts and live feeds
that's pretty much it.
Activity: 30
Ok, I'm barely out of the newbie stage on these forums but I have not yet seen this matter discussed so here is a poll for crowd sourcing some kind of estimate.

What I hear about bubbles in general is that they have two powerful negative effects on the market:

1: Lots of negative press and ambient negativity.
2: Painful experience which scares buyers away from future involvement.

There are surely further effects beyond these but I'm no expert in the matter so I'll ignore such details.

If I look at my own surroundings I personally know six people who have joined the Bitcoin system. Out of the 6 there is one who bought in above 70, four of them bought in at an average between 20 and 65 and the last one still has his fiat stuck in transit from the bank towards the exchange.

If this poll manages to aggregate a decent guesstimate for the number of hurt individuals we might get an idea about how long it will take to replace all of them with new people. To do this we'll also need to know some other data points such as changes of market growth and purchasing power but that can be done elsewhere.

Cheers!

EDIT: If you feel like it, please describe briefly how you calculated your estimate. It would be enlightening information. :-)
Pages:
Jump to: