Pages:
Author

Topic: POLL: In the US, is a $250,000 household income middle class? - page 2. (Read 2687 times)

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003
Most people have enough money to pay the bills and that's that. The middle class is slowly disappearing, at the end we'll have only lower and upper (then the mega elite rich 1% that live off everyone else doing shit nothing while pretending they are doing something).

You know, income inequality is a problem, but I don't know a single person, including those who are upper class, who fit into this category. My network is full of hard working people across the income spectrum.

I currently work for a little more than minimum wage myself, but you know what? That's okay. I am young and have few marketable skills, I will keep building those, and chances are, I have a good shot long term just as almost any non-lazy, able bodied person does.

Maybe all of the 500+ people I know who are hard working members of the middle class are just lucky, or maybe people should spend less time complaining and more time working hard to build skills and provide value to their clients and/or employers. If I was a manager or business owner, the guy moping around complaining about how poorly paid he is would be the last to receive a raise.

Most wealthy people are hard working, and I know several who you wouldn't even know are high-income because they bust their backs and live modest lifestyles (they are also kind, generous people). Now, thanks to the Federal Reserve, there are people who sit around making millions from the artificially high stock market, but that's the exception (and you can take advantage of the stock market too).
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
Where am I?
I would say $250k is probably middle class for Silicon Valley, Seattle, NYC etc.  In most of the US $250k would be upper middle class. I would think most middle classes are $90K-$225K depending on area and how many salaries are bringing in the cash.  If you and your wife both have six figure salaries that shoots up the household income but it is two people as where a single guy is making $250k he is definitely well off.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
I think 250,000 income is where upper class starts, except for silicon valley, and other rich areas.
Activity: 434
Loose lips sink sigs!
http://money.cnn.com/infographic/real_estate/what-you-need-to-earn-to-afford-a-home/

An article showing how much salary is needed to buy a home in different cities around the US. Perhaps a bit of perspective.
Loose lips sink sigs!
250000 a year and considered a middle class?   Shocked WOW you Americans must be rolling in cash.

Did you read the article? Sounds like your missing the point.

$250,000 is NOT middle class in the US, but in some cities (e.g., New York and San Francisco) $250,000 only buys a middle class lifestyle, modest house, regular cars, etc. It's crazy, rent for a 2 bedroom 1000 sq foot home is $3000 or more a month. There's so much business in these cities and so many people that want to live in these cities that the price of everything goes ski high. This, in turn, raises incomes because people can't work in the area of they can't afford to live there.

Check out the cost of living in Tokyo, Singapore, and Hong Kong. You'll find the same thing going on.
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
250000 a year and considered a middle class?   Shocked WOW you Americans must be rolling in cash.
Loose lips sink sigs!
If you are making more than 20K after taxes these days, you can consider yourself LUCKY.

What part of the country do you live in?
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
There was an article recently (link below) where someone says their family, who lives in Silicon Valley and has a household income of $250,000, is middle class. I'm familiar with this geographic area, how much it costs to live in the area, and how much people are paid and I believe that income level IS middle class for that area. But this person received a ton of negative response from people regarding the dollar amount of the income (and seemingly disregarding the cost of living in the Bay Area of California).

Do you think a household income of $250,000 is middle class for the San Francisco area? For California? For major cities in the US?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/university-michigan-student-insists-earning-183000778.html

~20 000 $ a month, definetly middle class if you ask me, no matter what the cost of living is, i doubt it can impact on this family's budget to that extent to move them under middle class.
It would make a difference also, if family owns their home or not, since that would lower their spending ability..

cheers
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
If you are making more than 20K after taxes these days, you can consider yourself LUCKY.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
That Darn Cat
Most would not agree with the idea but my textbook would describe this amount as "upper middle class".
Loose lips sink sigs!
Most people have enough money to pay the bills and that's that. The middle class is slowly disappearing, at the end we'll have only lower and upper (then the mega elite rich 1% that live off everyone else doing shit nothing while pretending they are doing something).

You don't think there's a way for the middle class to survive?
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
World Class Cryptonaire
My old textbook in high school defined the Upper class as those who have at least a gross annual income of $1,000,000 per year. Using that definition, yes $250,000 is definitely middle class.

I define middle class as anyone who depends their job salary for income rather than their asset sheet. In which case that would still define that 250K person as middle class.

Homes in any nice area of California easily run for $400,000 to 1-2 million dollars. If you live in rich cities like Beverly Hills then obviously much more than that. If you live in a poor city in Southern california you're looking at maybe 250,000-300,000 for a house and these figures don't even include any other liabilities that a person may have.

Usually if you make 100-150K+ a year in California you would be referred to as Upper Middle Class.
Loose lips sink sigs!
There was an article recently (link below) where someone says their family, who lives in Silicon Valley and has a household income of $250,000, is middle class. I'm familiar with this geographic area, how much it costs to live in the area, and how much people are paid and I believe that income level IS middle class for that area. But this person received a ton of negative response from people regarding the dollar amount of the income (and seemingly disregarding the cost of living in the Bay Area of California).

Do you think a household income of $250,000 is middle class for the San Francisco area? For California? For major cities in the US?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/university-michigan-student-insists-earning-183000778.html
Pages:
Jump to: