Pages:
Author

Topic: [POLL] mBit or mBTC for "MilliBit"? - page 2. (Read 3663 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
January 22, 2014, 06:55:52 PM
While most people, even I, do use BTC currency abbreviation for Bitcoin, the "technical" abbreviation of Bitcoin is XBT.  No sovereign country can claim Bitcoin so hence the "X" to begin with.

Yeah, even if "XBT" became the ISO standard today I would guess that "BTC" as the most commonly used abbreviation would still give "XBT" a run for its money, no pun intended.  Let me know if you want me to add "mXBT" to the poll, though.  
Activity: 994
Merit: 501
January 22, 2014, 04:22:37 PM

Cons
  • BTC is currently abbreviated BTC
  • "We've never done it this way before."

While most people, even I, do use BTC currency abbreviation for Bitcoin, the "technical" abbreviation of Bitcoin is XBT.  No sovereign country can claim Bitcoin so hence the "X" to begin with.
January 22, 2014, 02:28:38 PM
how about considering 'megabit' for 1 000 BTC ?! thats the only scale which would make my life easier Grin

MBits work too.  I wouldn't mind having a couple of those either...  Cheesy

Edit:  Actually, now that I think about it "kBit" would be a better fit.  However, I still wouldn't mind having Satoshi's 2 MBits Wink
Activity: 346
Merit: 250
January 22, 2014, 02:24:35 PM
how about considering 'megabit' for 1 000 BTC ?! thats the only scale which would make my life easier Grin
January 22, 2014, 02:16:03 PM
MilliBit was the community-accepted term for .001BTC back in 2011.  

However, most new people seeing the current abbreviation "mBTC" will pronounce it "milli-Bitcoin" or "Em-Bee-Tee-Cee", both of which are clunky.  

I think using the abbreviation "mBit" instead of "mBTC" will help "milliBit" catch on as the next base unit for Bitcoin.

Pros
  • If you don't know how to pronounce it, you'll likely say "Em-bit" or "MilliBit", both of which are succinct and one of which is correct.
  • Even if you haven't seen it before, it's easy to figure out (e.g. I'll give you 25mBits for 2 large stuffed-crust pepperoni & green olive pizzas).
  • µBit and nBit work too
  • Most people still talk of BTC prices in BTC, so there is still time to change.
  • This term will help newcomers understand that bitcoins are divisible.
Cons
  • BTC is currently abbreviated BTC
  • "We've never done it this way before."

Change is slow.  However, if we've learned anything from HODL and the history of bitcoin, this doesn't have to apply to Bitcoiners.  

Your part:
The next time you mention a Bitcoin price, please consider quoting the amount in mBits.

Poll Updates:
I'm not going to reset the votes when an option is added.  Instead, I'll list the current votes when I add an option.
  • mBT was added when the vote was:  mBTC=12, mBit=6, other=?
Pages:
Jump to: