Pages:
Author

Topic: Poloniex adds margin trading but wants your profile - page 2. (Read 6210 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I got the same message while withdrawing coins a few minutes ago.

I've noticed that they added USDT (Tether USD) markets but this restriction seems to apply for all altcoin withdrawals - even those that have nothing to do with fiat which doesn't really make sense.

Why can't they just do what Cryptsy is doing and only require your real name/identity for USD markets?
legendary
Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000
Just another way for them to legally scam and steal from their users,  even if you verified they reserve the right to downgrade you and keep your coins Wink

By agreeing to our Terms, you acknowledge and understand that Poloniex maintains verification levels which require user participation and verification in order to obtain, with leveled permissions based on user-supplied information, our ability to verify it, and our internal policies. You accept that you may not be able to achieve a desired level of verification, and Poloniex reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, the appropriate Verification Level for any user, as well as the right to downgrade users without prior notice. Poloniex may, from time to time, implement policies restricting Verification Levels by nationality, country of residence, or any other factor. This may affect your ability to withdraw funds in your account and you indemnify Poloniex against any losses associated with an inability to deposit and/or withdraw funds based on your verification level.

and margin trading and lending on a site that provides no proof of its funds = potential for fractional reserve and abuse by exchange against its user in markets as it effectively is able to lend more bitcoin then they own in attempt to cash in on interest repayments.  Anyone thinking they can make money lending here is going to find themselves competing with the exchange itself which can offer infinite bitcoins at any rate they choose.  Because they dont have to prove the bitcoins exist, poloniex can mix in their own loan offers with the real ones from users and effectively make money with no risk at all. Undecided

Good point - hadn't thought about the fractional reserve aspect.

They can say good-bye to a lot of reserves (accounts) due to the profile completion requirement, IMO.

To Cryptsy, it is.
legendary
I respect their right to change, I just wish they had respected me with enough notice to decide if I wanted to keep trading with them or remove my coins in an orderly manner.

Exactly right on the timing!

2 days notice?

I smell BS all around.
legendary
Activity: 1672
Merit: 1010
Just another way for them to legally scam and steal from their users,  even if you verified they reserve the right to downgrade you and keep your coins Wink

By agreeing to our Terms, you acknowledge and understand that Poloniex maintains verification levels which require user participation and verification in order to obtain, with leveled permissions based on user-supplied information, our ability to verify it, and our internal policies. You accept that you may not be able to achieve a desired level of verification, and Poloniex reserves the right to determine, at its sole discretion, the appropriate Verification Level for any user, as well as the right to downgrade users without prior notice. Poloniex may, from time to time, implement policies restricting Verification Levels by nationality, country of residence, or any other factor. This may affect your ability to withdraw funds in your account and you indemnify Poloniex against any losses associated with an inability to deposit and/or withdraw funds based on your verification level.

and margin trading and lending on a site that provides no proof of its funds = potential for fractional reserve and abuse by exchange against its user in markets as it effectively is able to lend more bitcoin then they own in attempt to cash in on interest repayments.  Anyone thinking they can make money lending here is going to find themselves competing with the exchange itself which can offer infinite bitcoins at any rate they choose.  Because they dont have to prove the bitcoins exist, poloniex can mix in their own loan offers with the real ones from users and effectively make money with no risk at all. Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1022
I was really glad to see this at the top of the service discussion section!

I get that they are based in the USA and want to comply with US law, but this is a big change and very short notice.  Worse, right now they are having delays sending email messages to confirm withdrawals.

I respect their right to change, I just wish they had respected me with enough notice to decide if I wanted to keep trading with them or remove my coins in an orderly manner.

Very disappointed.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1205
Time to find another exchange?

Or say my name is John Doe, location Nigeria?

I was thinking about santa Klaus from the north pole... but I fear they could block your account. Anyway, 2 days is a very short term notice  Sad

Moving my alts to craptsy...
legendary
Time to find another exchange?

Or say my name is John Doe, location Nigeria?
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1205
I got that . Wtf  Huh
legendary
Just got the email:

Greetings from Poloniex!

We're happy to announce that Margin Trading with Peer-to-Peer Lending is now available at Poloniex! You can now borrow funds from lending users to open long and short positions with 2.5x leverage on our XMR, DASH, XPR and LTC Margin Trading platform. You can also loan funds in the same selected markets in 1 day intervals at up to 5% interest.

In addition, we are requiring that all users provide us with their first name, last name, and country of origin by May 20th, 2015. This information is mandatory for all users and all withdrawals. Go to your Profile page to get started.

The Poloniex Team

Again, WTF?
legendary
Profile Incomplete

On May 20th, Poloniex will require your first name, last name, and country of residence to process withdrawals.

Please provide this information on your Profile as soon as possible.

WTF?   Angry
Did anyone get the email they proclaim to have sent?
I found out on the trollbox.
Pages:
Jump to: