Pages:
Author

Topic: Possible to use brute force to re-gain access to a wallet? All but 1 char known - page 3. (Read 3407 times)

legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 1005
If you can code you could write such a program, for example in python (best choice would probably be to use the bitcoind walletpassphrase command over JSON-RPC).
I don't have time at the moment, otherwise I'd offer to code it for a small fee Smiley

Onkel Paul
Activity: 208
Merit: 100
Awesome! I hope there's a brute force program that can be applied to Bitcoin-Qt.
legendary
Activity: 1039
Merit: 1005
That should be absolutely possible.
If you consider the 15 possible positions of the missing character, and about 60-90 possible characters (depends on whether the password generator used only letters and digits or other characters, too), that would be about 900-1350 different passwords to try - if it wasn't so tedious you could even do this semi-manually (generate the passwords using a very simple program, and enter them into the wallet program using copy-and-paste) within 3 or four hours.
A program that can check wallet passwords from a given list automatically would do it in 1-2 seconds.

Onkel Paul
Activity: 208
Merit: 100
I created a password for my Bitcoin wallet using passwordsgenerator.net, set to 15 characters of all types. I wrote the password down, but when I tested it I was surprised to see it didn't work. I counted the amount of characters I had written down and there were only 14 characters. Obviously, I missed a character. Since I know all but one character in this 15 character password, I was wondering if it would be possible to successfully brute force my way back into my wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: