Pages:
Author

Topic: Potential scam.. need help please - page 2. (Read 259 times)

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
November 18, 2022, 06:56:50 PM
Same here, even in 2018 or 2019, this is already prevalent, a lot of scam tokens landing on your wallet. The thing is, maybe you have exposed your wallet publicly and this scammers try to lure you by depositing some in your wallet and who knows, they could follow you and then set a trap later.

So in any case don't be bother by them, ignore it.

And if you are paranoid or something, just create another clean address.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027
November 18, 2022, 05:55:25 PM
So about a week ago someone sent something to my coinbase wallet ethereum address via the polygon network. I got a message saying i had received 10 cookies. I was confused so i went into my wallet. Things immediately felt a little different. There was a different wallet picture in the corner that said wallet one. The app asked me for my code in weird spots. I never put my code in. I could bypass it with the back button. There they were, 10 cookies sitting in my wallet. Not sure what i should do with them, or even what they are. Not even really sure if their malicious or not. Just weird. I guess i could send them back to the sender. Im not really concerned about my funds at this point. Im more concerned that something like this can happen to an address without fault of the owner. You dont have to click a link,  they just show up. Are all ethereum based addresses at risk? Suggestions or any insight into this would be helpful. This exceeds my scope of computer knowledge. Thank you in advance computer ninjas

The network is overrun by spam tokens. I also have lots of them and do not even bother to check what they are. In your case, the "different wallet picture in the corner" asking you for a code could have been a way of getting your code and eventually leading your wallet to be drained. So, sending the token back to its owner could trigger the same reaction.

The best course of action with any unwanted tokens appearing in your wallet is to simply ignore it.

Anyway, here you can find 5 simple tips to identify spam\scam Tokens!
Activity: 2422
Merit: 343
November 18, 2022, 05:55:13 PM
If you are not expecting someone to send you any token in any way, better ignore it and never touch it. But, you will expect someone to message you on social media or in your BTT account for that matter. But be careful with the links that might send to you.

However, until nobody had able to reach you with that, we can't say whether it was a scam attempt or not. Since you have an idea already, you know what the next step you do. This might be a common issue for scam attempt asking for money that is why you should be careful in dealing this.
Activity: 2086
Merit: 193
November 18, 2022, 05:49:14 PM
This is an old way to hack your wallet, the moment you touch that money you are done.
Just ignore it and hide it because you can’t do anything about it anymore, I have a lot of scam tokens as well under polygon network and bsc, this has been their way to scam or hack newbies and those who are not familiar with this scheme. Again, Don’t ever touch it or better try to have a new wallet and don’t expose it in public.
Activity: 2814
Merit: 526
Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game
November 18, 2022, 05:40:59 PM
~snip~
Just don't bother with it and move on.

I also got it on my BSC smart contract address, full of troll tokens that worth nothing without any liquidity at all. If you find those, just don't click any links provided by those tokens, don't interact with the tokens as they will drain your money with the fees, etc. One way to check this is to check the discussion on bscscan or any block explorers of your choice, they will tell you if it's scam or not because so many people have faced this shill tokens.
Activity: 672
Merit: 273
November 18, 2022, 05:21:32 PM
This is pretty common with ethereum wallets I have tons of those cheat tokens seating dormant in my wallets for God knows how long and sometimes I consider them to be spam tokens, and these tokens are never worth anything, ethereum network with its smart contract feature have open us all up to a lot of this spam where random tokens are dropped in addresses in the network.

I don't usually take them seriously since they can't amount to anything and they can be a threat to my wallet security unless I click on any link.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 540
November 18, 2022, 05:01:41 PM
If I'm in your case, wouldn't touch that token,

And as per

https://coincodex.com/convert/cookiesale/bitcoin/?amount=10

10 cookies = 0.00000781 BTC

So it doesn't have any value at all, and as @serjent05 said, this could just be a dusting attack.
legendary
Activity: 2884
Merit: 1258
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
November 18, 2022, 04:56:09 PM
It is normal, even my wallet address has lots of spam tokens.  But on a serious note, it is possibly a dusting attack.  It is an attack where a hacker try to know the real identity of the address owner.[1].

You can follow these tips written on this article[1]

Simple Ways To Keep Your Wallet Safe
The good news is that there are simple ways you can protect yourself from these types of attacks:

• Do not click on any unknown links. If it’s too good to be true, it usually is.
  • Do not interact (swap, trade, sell, or use) with any unknown tokens you didn’t verify
  • Do not attempt to connect your wallet to a Decentralized Exchange to collect free airdrop tokens or swap the unknown tokens. The moment you connect, you’ve given it permission to drain 100% of the crypto funds in your wallet
  • Avoid posting any identifying information in tandem with your wallet address

You can read more information about dusting attack in the link below.

[1] https://anchain.ai/blog/crypto-dusting-attack/
Activity: 127
Merit: 10
November 18, 2022, 03:55:27 PM
Pretty common on Eth network and with NFTs. There’s malicious code in the smart contract that can usually drain your wallet if you sell. Not really sure how it works but I’ve seen it plenty and had many such tokens appear on Eth, Polygon, and BSC
copper member
Activity: 1075
Merit: 442
November 18, 2022, 03:52:27 PM
So about a week ago someone sent something to my coinbase wallet ethereum address via the polygon network. I got a message saying i had received 10 cookies. I was confused so i went into my wallet. Things immediately felt a little different. There was a different wallet picture in the corner that said wallet one. The app asked me for my code in weird spots. I never put my code in. I could bypass it with the back button. There they were, 10 cookies sitting in my wallet. Not sure what i should do with them, or even what they are. Not even really sure if their malicious or not. Just weird. I guess i could send them back to the sender. Im not really concerned about my funds at this point. Im more concerned that something like this can happen to an address without fault of the owner. You dont have to click a link,  they just show up. Are all ethereum based addresses at risk? Suggestions or any insight into this would be helpful. This exceeds my scope of computer knowledge. Thank you in advance computer ninjas

Pages:
Jump to: