Pages:
Author

Topic: POW vs POS? - page 4. (Read 4115 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
October 04, 2014, 01:00:55 AM
PoS coupons minted at mining, non-transferable, with wide distribution... could be the answer to the huge energy sink of PoW mining.

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
October 04, 2014, 12:36:38 AM
pow = a couple of giant mining farms run by millionaires make money and everyone else saw their investment collapse 70% in the last year thanks to these farms dumping most of the million or so newly generated coins on exchange to pay their costs.

POS =  single entity of millionaire who has amassed more than 51% would be more centralized and worse than a pow coin and everyone else saw their investment at the mercy of this millionaire
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
October 04, 2014, 12:30:09 AM
pow = a couple of giant mining farms run by millionaires make money and everyone else saw their investment collapse 70% in the last year thanks to these farms dumping most of the million or so newly generated coins on exchange to pay their costs.
The mining farmers are the first geniuses to figure out how to outcompete other miners. To the victor go the spoils. This is a celebration of capitalism!
Activity: 338
October 04, 2014, 12:26:13 AM
what happy to BTC Sad
Activity: 364
I'm really quite sane!
October 03, 2014, 10:17:13 PM
The thing about PoS is that, while it is an interesting concept, it just isn't secure/fair enough. A PoW block provides security in that you know an amount of energy has been expended in generating it. A PoS block only shows that somebody has coins.
Fairness is a little more subjective, but still a major point. To incentivize "staking," there's usually an amount of "interest" (for lack of a better word) rewarded to the block finder. Now imagine that applied to Bitcoin, and how you would explain it to people:

Where do new coins come from?
People who already have coins. They generate new coins at no cost. People who have the most coins will generate the most new coins.
Isn't that exactly how things already work with fiat, but with 'coins' instead of money?
You're very insightful, rhetorical device.

Activity: 57
Merit: 0
October 03, 2014, 10:11:19 PM
i just found this

Proof-of-stake systems are also not as safe as a simplified explanation of them might make them out to be. If there are 1,000 coins in circulation, but only 100 coins staked, an attacker would only need 101 staked coins to perform the attack.

Activity: 57
Merit: 0
October 03, 2014, 09:58:32 PM
i'm sorry if i'm hitting some nerves here because i know its a sensitive subject.  what are the disadvantages of POS and why is POW so important? POW is a fun game, but is all this expensive POW really necessary to keep a functional & secure coin? 
Pages:
Jump to: