Pages:
Author

Topic: [Pre-ANN] 'Landmarks' IPO (Location Based Faucets) (LND) - page 2. (Read 2794 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I have decided to not concern myself with 'fairness of the faucets' because the point of the coin is not fair distribution but rather an incentive for people to get out.

Some people will just happen to be near landmarks.  Some will not. 

Ideally we will put a very serious effort into development so that all regions of the globe are covered.

One part of the project will be going through and identifying all notable landmarks across the globe, and then making an icon and then landmark faucet for each.

It will be a way of appreciating the earth, moving attention outwards rather than in. We need this balance, which is why I want to advocate faucets that get people out into the world so they can appreciate it.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 509
Nice to see you are going ahead with this. The issue with how faucet owners will fund their faucets is one problem, as has been mentioned. You could have a premine set aside for this, to start with ... but that leads to other problems regarding trust.

One way to possibly fund this a little bit, outside of an ipo, is charge people for it as an app. Or go with the ad based app for free, small fee for the ad-free version. So you'd get funding, but there wlll be no guarantee of funds nor how much you will bring in. Each purchased app comes with a set amount of coin to play with, ability to set up a faucet (within reasonable areas), and any extras you want to throw in. But to do that you'd need to do a big premine.
What would be fair?  I am even hesitant to hold an IPO just because of the commotion it would cause.  

In fact if the community wants to help out with this then I will not hold an IPO.  I just want a decent product.  

Right now in the coin community it is a tough call how to fund a fun and innovative coin.

I have a few Bitcoins to fund some of the marketing. Ideally the community would help to grow this coin so we would not have to have an IPO or pre-mine.

It is all up in the air. Smiley
Activity: 602
Merit: 295
Hail Eris!
I see this unfairly rewarding people in certain cities.
How can you be sure that every city in the world has a faucet?
Why is it fair that someone in New York has access to these "money faucets" but someone in Dinksville, Tennessee doesn't?

Do shop owners or whoever have to buy these landmark coins to create their own faucet (obviously they do), how does that work?
Do they need to buy bitcoins first so they can buy landmarks on an exchange just to fill up a faucet?

Lot of unexplained variables here.

Note the Pre-Ann state.

I just want this to happen.  I am hoping the community will give feedback to make this a good coin.

What would be a good solution?

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Vires in Numeris
I see this unfairly rewarding people in certain cities.
How can you be sure that every city in the world has a faucet?
Why is it fair that someone in New York has access to these "money faucets" but someone in Dinksville, Tennessee doesn't?

Do shop owners or whoever have to buy these landmark coins to create their own faucet (obviously they do), how does that work?
Do they need to buy bitcoins first so they can buy landmarks on an exchange just to fill up a faucet?

Lot of unexplained variables here.
I have many visions for this coin.

One of them is thus:  A merchant can open up a faucet for an event, so that people who go to the events can get free coins.
I have around 4 Bitcoin I can put towards various bounties.

I have spent the past two weeks studying the BitcoinJ code and working on some Android prototypes.

Although I have a background in software engineering I would like to add someone on to my team to help with coin development.

We still have to decide how to fund the application.  If I was going to hold an IPO each investor would get their unique faucet put on our map with a custom logo of their choice.

This will be a serious attempt at combining a map application with a coin so I want it to be robust and well tested, with a focus on good design principles to allow for extendability.
I am currently planning out iterations.

The plan is to launch before Summer break begins.

The distribution event will go one full year.  After that the faucets will still pay out but at reduced rates.

Still deciding on some final details and putting my team together.

The Landmarks will cover the globe, giving everyone a chance to collect some coins.  We will try to identify as many unique landmarks as possible and setup faucets at those locations.
The big payout faucet will be the 'Landmarks', like Mt. Ranier or the Grand Canyon.  They will have unique special 'Landmark icons'.

These are just some prototype mockups.

It does need some work.  

The idea will be that each city will have a unique icon, and when you click on it a box pops up that shows information about the location as well as the amount in the faucet and a button to collect the coins if you are near the faucet.

We will change some things, I want to alter the icons a bit.  What does the community think?
legendary
Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100
I like the idea! Keep us posted Smiley
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Cool idea, I like it! Smiley
Activity: 40
it is interesting, and sounds nice and wondefule

come on,
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
It sounds good.
I hope you can do it .
Activity: 65
brilliant idea.
it will be funniest faucet ever
Activity: 70
it is interesting, and sounds nice and wondefule

come on,

I will keep an eye on it..
My friend who is a graphic designer is going to make the map icons and logos.  I cannot wait.  We should have some prototypes set up soon.

The long goal is to establish a successful coin that encourages getting out and travel.

We will have a professional quality web portal and smartphone applications.  It is going to take a few iterations but I am forming a good crew.
Activity: 376
Merit: 250
Pages:
Jump to: