Pages:
Author

Topic: Preventing Botnet Mining - page 2. (Read 1222 times)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10
July 20, 2015, 03:59:14 PM
When I read about ASIC resistant mining, it's pointed out that botnets can be used to mine the coin. Could adding something like CAPTCHA prevent botnets from mining?  Is there any ASIC resistant mining that already takes into account botnets?  We shouldn't give up ASIC resistant mining simply because of botnets, that's a cop-out answer.

I think that ASIC resistance is extremely important, as it lowers the barrier to securing the currency, giving all an equal ability to mine, not just the few elite.  There has to be a solution to botnets.

Monero making solution smart mining. Many more members mining reduce impact of botnet hashrate

https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-and-announcements/112/monday-monero-missives-20-december-8th-2014

"This is a feature that will evolve over time, but at its most basic it is something that will allow everyone running the client software to support the network in an unobtrusive manner. Smart Mining detects your CPU usage, and if your CPU is idle and you aren't on battery power (for laptops and/or connected UPS devices) it will begin mining. As soon you switch to battery power or your CPU activity picks up it will pause mining until it sees it is safe to start again. You still set your Monero address for Smart Mining, as always, and whilst your chances of solving a block may be relatively small (for now;) it is still an easy way to support the network without needing to purchase expensive equipment. This work is complete (for Linux) and is currently being tweaked to work on our other supported operating systems. Ongoing process can be followed here: https://github.com/oranjuice/bitmonero/tree/smart-mining"
Activity: 76
Merit: 43
July 20, 2015, 03:05:50 PM
When I read about ASIC resistant mining, it's pointed out that botnets can be used to mine the coin. Could adding something like CAPTCHA prevent botnets from mining?  Is there any ASIC resistant mining that already takes into account botnets?  We shouldn't give up ASIC resistant mining simply because of botnets, that's a cop-out answer.

I think that ASIC resistance is extremely important, as it lowers the barrier to securing the currency, giving all an equal ability to mine, not just the few elite.  There has to be a solution to botnets.
Pages:
Jump to: