Pages:
Author

Topic: Price seems stable now... - page 2. (Read 7666 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500
June 16, 2011, 08:38:42 PM
Oh god! Now you've made this thread the price of btc is crashing faster than the world trade center did after the government blew it up in their false flag operation to invade iraq!! fuck!!
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
June 16, 2011, 07:27:55 PM
I still stick with these numbers in a couple of months timeframe. I assume a geometric growth doubling its price each month until reaching roughly 1K at the end of the year. I base my guessing in a viral adoption, and in the enormous amounts of fiat currency floating arround the world and ready for investments, and the low yield of alternatives for landing that extra cash.

My thoughts on institutional investment in btc is that it will be significantly slower than the geometric price progression we've seen. Problems with liquidity, relative stability of prices, and security of investment from hacks and market DDOS may be keeping larger players away. Anyone investing in BTC from an institutional perspective would be more likely to be risk adverse. Any individuals with larger investments would also be less likely, logically, to put large amounts of money into btc. If the price rise slows over the next few months, stability of price occurs and security of investment are fixed we should see a greater influx of investors.

It's the risk in BTC that's keeping big money away.
Activity: 42
Merit: 2
June 16, 2011, 07:06:05 PM
Funny. Two weeks ago everyone was talking about $100, $400, $1k...
I still stick with these numbers in a couple of months timeframe. I assume a geometric growth doubling its price each month until reaching roughly 1K at the end of the year. I base my guessing in a viral adoption, and in the enormous amounts of fiat currency floating arround the world and ready for investments, and the low yield of alternatives for landing that extra cash.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
June 16, 2011, 07:01:18 PM
Yes it is finally coming down. It does not make sense at $20. There is no value currenctly in owning this currency other than the long term potential if it does ever make a valid currency.

If you are willing to wait some years and hold it as an investment, it should be priced less than $10 dollars because of the high risk of it failing.

Who ever pays $20 or higher now as a long term investment is way overpaying because of all the risk.

It should keep falling down to less than $10.

Less than $10 with the current difficulty lvl ?

Remember that miners are the biggest source of bitcoins in this moment. I'm sure they aren't willing to lose cash.

it's not up to them...
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
June 16, 2011, 06:24:24 PM
Yes it is finally coming down. It does not make sense at $20. There is no value currenctly in owning this currency other than the long term potential if it does ever make a valid currency.

If you are willing to wait some years and hold it as an investment, it should be priced less than $10 dollars because of the high risk of it failing.

Who ever pays $20 or higher now as a long term investment is way overpaying because of all the risk.

Remember that miners are the biggest source of bitcoins in this moment. I'm sure they aren't willing to lose cash.

Miners don't control Supply / Demand they are just affected by the consequences.
Activity: 540
The future begins today
June 16, 2011, 05:56:25 PM

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
June 16, 2011, 05:54:07 PM
Funny. Two weeks ago everyone was talking about $100, $400, $1k...
Activity: 602
June 16, 2011, 05:46:22 PM

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
June 16, 2011, 04:37:01 PM
If 18 will broken, we can expect  way down to 15. Interesting.
Activity: 280
Firstbits: 12pqwk
June 16, 2011, 04:34:13 PM
just broke the 19 barrier
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007
Hide your women
June 16, 2011, 02:58:55 PM
Awesome, thats exactly what we need! Price is stable from $19-20

A stable price is welcome, but we must remember that difficulty went up 50% yesterday.  The price didn't budge.  There's no reason to believe the price will go higher when difficulty again goes up by 50% in a week's time.  Within the space of around 2 weeks a miner will be making less than half what they used to.

So? I'm looking forward to all the cheap second hand video cards that will be for sale. I am building a flight simulator :-)

Seriously, The average profitability of mining should be zero. Inefficient miners should be losing money, because they are wasting electricity. The "evil" speculators have stabilized the market for now, and that's a good thing. Sustainable long-term growth requires less volatility. Entrepreneurs need to be able to make reasonable and reasonably accurate assumptions about future demand.
Activity: 257
June 16, 2011, 02:47:23 PM
artificial prices, by definition, do not exist in a free market.
legendary
June 16, 2011, 02:45:43 PM
Care to show something useful with a 3-month linear one?
June 16, 2011, 02:36:23 PM
Oh, These logarithmic scale`s... They are so comfortable to show anything you want ...
legendary
June 16, 2011, 02:15:04 PM
it would seem that if prices stay steady and market depth, trade volume, and liquidity double (and/or stably increase)

Volume is not precisely "doubling"...

I dont why why its being done cause the margins is way to small to avoid the 1.3% fee from mtgox, so maybe someone else could figure this pickle out.

I don't think it's way too small for that, it's just at the limit, ie no money is being made right now.

I don't see this low activity period as something necessarily strange or bad. It's not the first time it happens (both beginning and end of May show similar patterns). Plus, the midterm trend is still intact:

June 16, 2011, 01:33:20 PM
looks like there is no interest in BTC for now. What we see, is a fight between some trade bots.
Activity: 224
Merit: 102
June 16, 2011, 01:03:58 PM
here was something I mentioned at another thread, however it seems to have played out much earlier than anticipated:

The thread is: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=14657.msg209183#msg209183
Comment made on: June 12, 2011, 07:26:02 pm
Just thought I would add my view.
The only real value of bitcoin at the moment is speculation. Everything always boils down to supply and demand. Eventually bitcoin will stabalise as the market starts to agree on the value of a bitcoin. Because it is early days, we will see massive jumps in price due to increase of market participents plus people holding onto their bitcoins selling when price looks tasty. Anyone that says there is no danger of bitcoin crashing and just going into the history books as a failed currency, should be carefull. I would however tend to agree that bitcoin is most likely here to stay, at least for the medium term. There would not even need to be an adoption of it as a currency/payment for it to sustain itself, since it has become a tradable asset.
June 16, 2011, 12:53:48 PM
Nothing artificial about it, this is how markets behave. Also this comment: 'It's stable because no big sells nor big buys were made recently. Granted, the longer it stays stable, the bigger a buy/sell would need to be for prices to actually budge.' is not the right way to look at it. Price is not moving so much because there is equal number of buys to sells. When one side gives in it will break to make a new range. Often when price breaks out of consolidation they are big moves however quickly bounce back into the range as it meets fresh supply/demand. The fact is the market is in agreement at the value of a bitcoin, untill the market tries to agree on the new value..

Btw when you mention trap, which side do you mean for? Is it a bull trap or bear trap? Tbh if you say either one or the other you will have 50% chance of being correct.... Nobody can tell whether its going to move up or down, unless they are big investor looking to buy/sell thousands.

I dont completely agree nor disagree with you.

What I do know, looking at the live data from mtgox, majority of the traffic is bot-related counter bidding and keeping the price between 19-20 margins.

I dont why why its being done cause the margins is way to small to avoid the 1.3% fee from mtgox, so maybe someone else could figure this pickle out.

Sure, Im not looking to get into some kind of debate here of who is right or wrong, just adding my input. I think though you will find your comment still supports my original. Equal number of buys and sells, whoever it may be.
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
June 16, 2011, 12:49:31 PM
Nothing artificial about it, this is how markets behave. Also this comment: 'It's stable because no big sells nor big buys were made recently. Granted, the longer it stays stable, the bigger a buy/sell would need to be for prices to actually budge.' is not the right way to look at it. Price is not moving so much because there is equal number of buys to sells. When one side gives in it will break to make a new range. Often when price breaks out of consolidation they are big moves however quickly bounce back into the range as it meets fresh supply/demand. The fact is the market is in agreement at the value of a bitcoin, untill the market tries to agree on the new value..

Btw when you mention trap, which side do you mean for? Is it a bull trap or bear trap? Tbh if you say either one or the other you will have 50% chance of being correct.... Nobody can tell whether its going to move up or down, unless they are big investor looking to buy/sell thousands.

I dont completely agree nor disagree with you.

What I do know, looking at the live data from mtgox, majority of the traffic is bot-related counter bidding and keeping the price between 19-20 margins.

June 16, 2011, 12:45:56 PM

Pages:
Jump to: