Pages:
Author

Topic: PrismCoin: 3d etching BTC address in Crystal - page 2. (Read 3491 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Get a cheap 2.5D milling machine and engrave it into a stainless steel plate.

Keep in mind that these kind of things only protect against some personal disaster. If there is an epic solar storm and all computers are fried the blockchain will be gone and the private key useless.
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
I was thinking of synthetic diamonds, but if temperature is a problem then tungsten is better.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
Why not laser/ engrave the private key onto a 10g gold ingot ?

Something like this will cost you around 100BTC:
http://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-bars/10-gram-gold-bar/umicore-10-gram-gold-bar/

It is 31mm by 18mm (1.22 inches x 0.71inches) so enough space on the back for a private key.

Not fireproof but inert and should your parachute not open on your next sky dive your next of kin are unlikely to throw it out in the trash when they go through your stuff.

If 100BTC is too steep, on the same site a 5g ingot is 24mm x 14mm so I expect a private key will still fit. Half the price !
Activity: 575
Merit: 500
The North Remembers
Why not diamond instead of tungsten?

Because of the high refractive index.

Well, in case you are indeed serious:
Sure, go on, and aquire a diamond large enough for that. Then have one flat side on it. I suggest at least as large as a stamp for readability. Go on and engravve or laser your keys on it. And start over again once you transfer the funds somewhere else or the like :-)
But yes, technically there do exist enough bitcoins to make all of this worthwile.. Even more once you try to aquire a significant part of them.

Oh, and: Diamond starts burning over 700°C, is brittle, and will have a low reading contrast.

Ente

There is a Canadian diamond mine that laser etches their diamonds with a polar bear. This makes it easy to tell the difference from a Canadian diamond and a conflict diamond. Add the laser etching to man made diamonds like Gemesis makes and you have a tiny bitcoin wallet. I don't like diamonds since I see them as just shiny rocks but for long term bitcoin storage they would be ideal.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

Because of the high refractive index.

Well, in case you are indeed serious:
Sure, go on, and aquire a diamond large enough for that. Then have one flat side on it. I suggest at least as large as a stamp for readability. Go on and engravve or laser your keys on it. And start over again once you transfer the funds somewhere else or the like :-)
But yes, technically there do exist enough bitcoins to make all of this worthwile.. Even more once you try to aquire a significant part of them.

Oh, and: Diamond starts burning over 700°C, is brittle, and will have a low reading contrast.

Ente
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
legendary
TIL the 10 Commandments were actually private keys carved into stone tablets.

SHA256("Thou shall not steal")

..has some irony in it.. heh

Ente
Activity: 575
Merit: 500
The North Remembers
TIL the 10 Commandments were actually private keys carved into stone tablets.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
or a laser (no deep engrave)

You obviously need a more powerful laser Wink.
legendary
I would be interested in a Titanium wallet.

The question is, should we have a private key encrypted or should we have SEVERAL private keys encrypted into a single AES block that we will have engraved?

I would, ahem, suggest, y'know, to have an encrypted version on your computer, as a working version. Engrave the private key unencrypted and directly onto your metal. Keep this in a safe place. Vault, buried, some family member's place. This would only be used in case all encrypted "computer" versions vanish in a catastrophic event. More like an insurance than a cold wallet..

If you want a lasting material go with tungsten.
Melting point is significantly higher than structure fires, it is non reactive in most environments, and has high toughness.

Tough? It is? At least Tungsten Carbide (the stuff "tungsten" rings/bands are made of) is brittle. Pure tungsten might indeed be tough, though.
Good luck engraving it. I would guess a diamond tip engraver (preferably) or a laser (no deep engrave) is necessary..

Ente
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
I can see some beings or humans in the future unearthing these metal pieces with long strings of numbers and letters trying to figure out what it is.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
If you want a lasting material go with tungsten.

Melting point is significantly higher than structure fires, it is non reactive in most environments, and has high toughness.

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
Titanium: Melting point of 1668°C (which is ok), but will erode pretty quickly in harsh environment (saltwater, electrochemical corrosion etc).
If you are serious, go for stainless steel :-)
(And solder it in between two pieces of copper or something)
This would not be a "cold wallet" or similar, but more of a last-resort-backup you don't actually intent to use anytime soon. But maybe your inheritants will be happy to find it in xx years.

Ente

I would be interested in a Titanium wallet.

The question is, should we have a private key encrypted or should we have SEVERAL private keys encrypted into a single AES block that we will have engraved?
legendary
Titanium: Melting point of 1668°C (which is ok), but will erode pretty quickly in harsh environment (saltwater, electrochemical corrosion etc).
If you are serious, go for stainless steel :-)
(And solder it in between two pieces of copper or something)
This would not be a "cold wallet" or similar, but more of a last-resort-backup you don't actually intent to use anytime soon. But maybe your inheritants will be happy to find it in xx years.

Ente
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
I was looking recently at someone do this at a tourist location in Venice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ko5RE2oh00

I instantly thought- how cool that would be to do for Bitcoin. Etch via Laser QR codes of bitcoin addresses and Private keys into the crystal. For example you could perhaps even do multiple layers of bitcoin addresses on on plane, and private keys on another, and using a special planer light source illuminate only one at a time. If your light source was super thin and planer, you could potentially store tens, hundreds or thousands of addresses in the crystal depending on the technical limits of the system.

Could make for an extremely cool "cold storage" system. One could image the sense of power from opening a safe deposite box to find only a crystal cube. Smiley

Of course, unless you do this at home- how do you provide a service and securely include the private key?

I have been thinking about this same problem for the past year.

Cold storage that is not stored on electronic devices.

Sure paper wallets are cool but you kinda need to have the same info in a lot of different places.

Only problem is if there was a fire, the paper is gone.

I have been thinking of engraving an encrypted private key in titanium or something else that is kinda apocalyptic proof.

So man. I am on the same page as you!
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
I was looking recently at someone do this at a tourist location in Venice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ko5RE2oh00

I instantly thought- how cool that would be to do for Bitcoin. Etch via Laser QR codes of bitcoin addresses and Private keys into the crystal. For example you could perhaps even do multiple layers of bitcoin addresses on on plane, and private keys on another, and using a special planer light source illuminate only one at a time. If your light source was super thin and planer, you could potentially store tens, hundreds or thousands of addresses in the crystal depending on the technical limits of the system.

Could make for an extremely cool "cold storage" system. One could image the sense of power from opening a safe deposite box to find only a crystal cube. Smiley

Of course, unless you do this at home- how do you provide a service and securely include the private key?
Pages:
Jump to: